I was ragging on Cleary pretty bad last year but he had a great playoff. Unless we tank the season no reason not to think we won't make it back to the post-season and then hopefully he picks it up again.
I agree, with the way the system is set up with both teams getting points in OT a loss like this is not a huge deal. But still stings for awhile.
Not to burst your bubble, but Cleary is no longer an effective player. He's too slow, too weak on his skates, can't keep up with the play and can't win a battle to save his life. At some point the team needs to move on and put the best team out there to compete and have a chance to win on a nightly basis.
This is something that Holland and Babcock need to realize and change before it becomes a problem. If it means sending the dead weight to Grand Rapids so be it because I want a team that is going to have the best chance to win every night and not a team whose playing veterans because they contributed something 5 years ago and there trying to sugarcoat it so that they don't embarrass them because a young player has clearly moved ahead of them.
He will play at some point...Sooner would be better given the uselessness of Cleary, Sammy and to a certain extent Franzen, but since Babcock needs to coddle the dead weight and make sure they have there milk and cookie snack it's going to be a while
1) Our passing ability has really gone down the tube since 2009
2) The inability to quickly turn a neutral zone turnover into an odd man rush the other way
3) Way to many shots from the perimeter
4) When in a good shooting position, the tendency is to make an extra pass or having to make an extra stick handle instead of releasing a good, hard and quick shot
5) Way to many players who do not put their shoulder down and go hard nose to the net and at worse can draw a penalty against a player who has been beaten
6) Way to much line juggling and several players who seemingly make it a 5 on 4 on the ice when they are out there
7) The lack of someone who is selfish and will shoot every chance they get (you could argue a pure goal scorer here)
8) The power play has become very stagnant and not enough moving parts...need to simplify it and just have someone bombing away from the middle on the back end
9) Way to many times do we give the puck away to easily in the D zone causing more energy to be spent trying to retrieve the puck
10) Lack of a killer instinct when the opponent has had most of its life taken out of them...one example was the game against Chicago last season when they had the lead and then took a boneheaded penalty with 2 mins to go and lost in a shootout 2-1
Cleary skates down the left boards, trips over centre ice line, collects himself and continues down the boards. He hits the blue line with mediocre speed and gets the puck as close as he can to his favorite shooting are, top of the circle, puck literally touching the boards, and he sends a wrister to the net......bread basket! We never saw that coming!
Don't forget the trusty once in a while breakaway where he manages to shoot the puck into the corner despite nobody near him