While I'm not advocating for trading Jimmy, I can see the logic behind wanting to trade him now. There are several reasons.
1. His value is higher now than it would be after he lost his starting job. You could get more for him. ie that puck moving defenseman or a Jordan Eberle.
2. Expansion draft. Rumor has it that Las Vegas will have a team to start the 2016 campaign. Trading Jimmy now allows us to sign a veteran guy that can play 30-40 games to a two year contract with the intention of protecting Mrazek and exposing said veteran. If we go in with two goalies that we want to protect, we will lose something that we don't want to. Whether it's a skater or one of the goalies, we'll lose something. This would allow us to protect against that.
3. It currently appears that the team plays better in front of Mrazek. His puck moving abilities change the dynamic of the breakout and helps us defend less. It's not a fluke that we score more goals in front of Mrazek. It's actually Mrazek.
1. I get that, but I think his value will be similar one year from now. At the very least, they should get a full year in with Petr before even considering doing anything with Howard. I'm not sure Edmonton does an Eberle for Howard swap, straight up. One or more of our forwards would have to be included, in order to create room up front.
2. I've suggested that the Wings should grad a vet goaltender to protect Howard and Mrazek in the past. Not sure I'd trust many of the UFA goalies behind Mrazek. Niemi could work as a 1A, 1B if he leaves San Jose. Don't really trust Enroth or Lindback, and they're two of the better options out there. Conceivably, we could protect both goalies, if they were willing to play a role on the Griffins:
Either way, if the league winds up having another expansion draft, it might be smart to have a goaltender who meets the experience requirements. Not sure if they'll change, but in 2000 it was 10 games in the previous season, or 25 games in the previous two seasons. Not too many pending UFA's would qualify, though. Taking a quick look, I see Fasth and McElhinney as two goaltenders who would work.
Both guys are 32-years-old and might be willing to take on a lesser role. They also meet the experience requirements, even if they play in the AHL next year.
3. I agree. Petr helps the break-out in ways that Howard can't. He's head and shoulders above Jimmy in that regard.
- nawein likes this