3. The point is simply that its better to pay Samuelsson to sit in the press box if we aren't going to spend the $10+ Million on THIS free agent class. Much like last year, we started and finished the season with a ton of cap space, so why waste our last buyout on a guy with one year left on his contract when Johan Franzen still has 7 left on his. Foolish to not see how he plays for one more season.
4. Cleary should not get a 3 year contract, but unfortunately I can see why he might. He was our third best player in the playoffs. He finished second in points, and played like a warrior most games. Moving to the eastern conference, he remains one of our ONLY players that plays the style of game you need to to get from most of your roster to battle in the east. Still more polished then ABBY and his point totals reflect that...
5. Next summer, while i know players will still be resigned the free agent class is still going to be MUCH better than this years, but the biggest wildcard will be the compliance buyouts. Next year, the window closes on any chance of cap relief for the remainder of this CBA. Names like Kovalchuk, Parise, Richards, Hossa, are already being talked about.
3. I guess that's a point of disagreement. I don't see anyone beyond Sammy who should be bought out. Do I think Mule is going to be effective in the last years of his contract? Probably not. I think we'd be a worse team in 2014-15 without him, though. Can you say the same about Samuelsson next year? Samuelsson being on the team is a hindrance to the future of this hockey club.
4. I see where you're coming from with Cleary, and I've loved every thing the guy's brought during his time here... but I feel like that time is done. He's almost completely ineffective during the year. He's a playoff warrior, and that counts for a ton, but I'm not sure it's at the expense of healthier bodies. The physicality of the East is wildly overrated. Los Angeles, St. Louis, San Jose... those teams aren't physical? I would much rather see guys like Nyquist and Tatar given a fair shake.
5. I do see a much higher quality in the class of players next year. I just think a good portion of those guys will be tied up. The cap will bump up some, too... so maybe teams hang onto guys unless they're truly going to liabilities going forward. And I must sound like a prospect slappy here, but guys like Ferraro, Sheahan and Jurco are going to be knocking on the door soon. Depending on how they fare next year, Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen too, perhaps. Hadn't even heard of Parise's name in buyout discussions, but he would be an interesting one for sure. He's a game breaker worth spending the cash on.
- WingedWheel91 likes this