I almost forgot to tell you...there is no pair of ear plugs in the world that can drown out Karen Newman's caterwauling. Be warned. I'm honestly surprised the ASPCA hasn't got her for animal cruelty when she "sings". As my housemate says, she must have incriminating photos of someone.
Anyone eat at Slow’s BBQ? Is it as good as they say?
My experience there was great. I had a sandwich they call the Triple Threat. It was excellent. A little on the expensive side (the sandwich was $8.50), but it was definitely worth the price. Smoked applewood bacon, brisket and ham. It was very good. I would recommend eating before you go to the game, because food at the Joe is expensive, and there isn't much open after the game. The Casino is nice, I suppose but I can't handle the smoking and the noise. I try very hard to avoid it.
If you are driving on your own, I would definitely recommend a little sidetrip up north a wee bit to Hockeytown Authentics. Good stuff! Take I-75 North to E. Big Beaver Road (no jokes, please), and take that a mile or so. It's on the north side of the road, next to the Troy Arena complex.
1) That I have a husband who lets me indulge in my love for the boys and lets me go to Traverse City every year for camp. Were it not for him, I would not have met some of you, or met a lot of the guys. One in particular...
2) That if Patrick Eaves can't play here, at least I get to see him play in GR, where he is fitting in quite well, and even scored the game winning goal the other night. And after the game, we get to hang out at the same eatery they do and I get to talk to him. He's really nice!
3) More than anything else, I'm thankful for one person. Pasha.
WTF is wrong with this team??? Their top player and arguably the best in the world gets elbowed in the head and not one sorry ass player does anything about it. I don't care if there is a suspension or not what i want to see is the team stand up for themselves and one another at the point when the incident happens, there is something fundamentally wrong with this team and their principles. Illitch should just relocate them to Sweden and let them play over there and Holland will be the happiest man alive. Im sorry to derail the thread but it infuriates me to watch this team and their complete lack of heart and toughness.
Just remember, the one person who would have stood up for him got demoted to GR because they absolutely had to have Cleary here. And now look at what it has cost us. Just get well quick, sweetie...that's all we can ask.
I saw Patrick Eaves last night in GR, playing with the Griffins. After the game (which was a 5-0 shutout for Petr Mrazek, by the by), we walked over to Peppino's, which is where the guys come hang out and eat after the game. And he was there. So my friend Kathy and I walked over and talked to him. Kathy welcomed him to GR, and I told him I was sorry he wasn't in Detroit, but I was so glad he's there. He was very sweet. Then I told him I think we have some kind of cosmic connection. He looked a little puzzled, and then I said, "We share the same birthday. You're Patrick, I'm Patricia. And your middle name is Campbell, and that was my maiden name."
"You're kidding." "Nope." "Weird!"
I also got to talk to Petr and Mitch Callahan. And it turns out Jordin Tootoo doesn't like Italian food, so you won't be seeing him in that restaurant.
You know, this is the kind of thing that we appreciate about him being here...to watch him quietly rise up the charts of all-time scorers. He's in the top 10 on the Wings as well, not far behind the greats - Howe, Delvecchio, Lidstrom, Yzerman, etc. He goes about it in his own quiet way, and we can only thank the powers that be that we have had the chance to watch it over the years. Wherever he winds up on the charts, it won't matter...numbers don't capture the joy of watching him.
King Crane, thank you for backing me up on the veterans thing. If they want to do something nice for them, why not play the song that is associated with that branch of the military. Each branch has their own song. I'd much rather hear "Anchors Aweigh" or the Marine Corps song than I would some stupid, sappy, phony piece of crap.
1) When we are at a game, my husband is in a wheelchair. He doesn't need it all the time, but in crowds, if someone jostled him the wrong way he'd be down on the floor with no feeling in his legs (degenerative form of arthritis in the back). No one has courtesy for wheelchair fans. They walk in front of you, they run into you, they don't care. I'd love to be able to bring his service dog with us, but no way in the world would I do that. Poor Loki would be trampled to death.
2) I swear to God, if I have to hear that damned "God Bless the USA" song again, I'm going to barf. It's nice to honor active duty people, but do we have to hear that crap song...it's as phony as a three dollar bill. I hate it with a passion.
3) Karen Newman. I'm surprised the Humane Society hasn't busted her for cruelty to animals when she sings (or rather, butchers) the anthem. At least at home, I can hit the mute button.
I know #2 is gonna get me in a lot of dutch with some people here, but I can't help it. That song is so nauseating it should be banned from the airwaves.
I guess his theory is, if it ain't broke don't screw with it. Unfortunately, goalies are starting to catch on. So maybe it's time to pull a new trick out of the bag. He's got enough of them to do that, it's just finding the one that hits the spot.