Here's a name I haven't heard mentioned: Mark Giordano. Even though he's Calgary's captain, I'm sure he'd be available for the right price--given their rebuild.
Giordano's gritty, blocks shots, and still generates offense (9-20-29 in 42 games so far this year). One of the most underrated players in the league, IMO. Best of all, he's signed for a $4 million cap hit the next two years.
Thoughts? This top 4 does look a thousand times better without Quincey in it...
Kesler is a diver who'd cost too much in a trade (and I just hate him, in general). Edler is prone to giveaways. Stewart is extremely inconsistent and pretty bad in his own end. Ehrhoff contract is too long and he's not particularly that great in his own end either.
Too many red flags on all these players IMO. I'd rather not make a move just for the sake of it.
2. Let Quincey, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Eaves and Gustavsson walk.
3. Re-sign Alfredsson if he doesn't want to retire (~4 million)
4. Re-sign RFAs Tatar, Glendening, Sheahan and DeKeyser. Also Almquist since out of waiver options.
5. Overpay Ryan Callahan to play with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Not a great scorer and certain to not be worth the cash, but still a great character guy that brings a lot of grit and intangibles despite his small stature. I wouldn't mind being stuck with him for David Clarkson money.
6. Sign Dan Girardi. There are concerns over his play the past couple seasons, but there really aren't any top 4 D-man options out there. He's much better than Quincey though. But we can't offer him more money than Kronwall, and some other team might overpay him even more.
7. Trade Kindl for picks/prospects if we're able to sign Girardi.
Basically, we trim a lot of fat, overpay for 2 Rangers, and hope Weiss transforms himself.
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.500m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($4.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Tomas Tatar ($1.750m) Luke Glendening ($0.850m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.950m) / DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Dan Girardi ($4.725m) Danny DeKeyser ($3.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m) Adam Almquist ($0.750m) / GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m) BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m) ------ CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter) (estimations for 2014-15) SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,219,545; BONUSES: $195,000 CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,830,455
Posted by Nevermind
on 21 November 2013 - 11:35 PM
Thought I'd start a threat commending his play. With 3 points tonight, Hank currently sits tied for 2nd in league-scoring (behind C***by and tied with Alex Steen).
At the start of the season, who would have thought Zetterberg would be that high up right now? Him and Pavel have been outstanding all season--so they've defintely got some good years left. And come playoff time, I really think Z will carry the team on his back again in a bid for Alfie to win his first Cup.
Funny video. But I'm not big on the idea of a player saying it's his last season "for sure".
And more interestingly, how has Selanne gotten this "class act" label? Just because a player's 40+ and has played with mostly one team, it's doesn't mean he's a class act. He's no Yzerman, Lidstrom, Sakic, Francis, etc.
Selanne's been a whiner and diver his entire career. So I don't get it.