lol I saw this same interview a few minutes ago...
He said something along the lines of "Why wouldn't Nazem sign a 1 year contract? He's going to train right and have a career year playing with good players, then put the screws to us next year"... Umm... Ok, so if he does have a career year - you literally just threw your negotiating power away by saying this, and if he doesn't live up to expectations (again) what trust have you gained in Toronto Mike?
This just adds to the (quickly growing) list of "I still don't understand what the Leafs are doing":
1. Clean house and commit to a "complete rebuild", while making it public knowledge that the darkest days are still to come, since this type of rebuild requires multiple "impact" (or top 5) draft picks... But it will be done right.
2. Hire Mike Babcock to an 8 year contract - and make him the highest paid in history, because he's "the best coach in the NHL, and a serial winner".
- How can 1 and 2 both be attainable?
3. Draft Mitch Marner (an undersized offence first winger, who probably doesn't fit a Babcock system) - when it was public knowledge Arizona was openly discussing trading out of the #3 spot - which was always going to be Dylan Strome - The 6'3 big bodied franchise center which has absolutely been the Leafs biggest need since Mats Sundin left.
4. Trade Phil Kessel (an undersized offence first winger, who definitely doesn't fit a Babcock system) to Pittsburgh for some used tape... because he needed to go, and then retain $1.2 Million of salary for the next 7 years.
-Why couldn't they trade Kessel and #4 to Arizona for #3 and a similar group of mediocre/replaceable prospects?
5. Come out July 6th and tell us that Nazem Kadri is going to be an elite player - even though he was regularly shopped by Dave Nonis.
The only way this sentence could be more Canadian, is if it said "sorry aboot that" somewhere in there.
Was just gonna post the same thing
Kidding aside, I will never understand why grown ass adults STILL GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN IMPAIRED. It's all fun and games when you hit a Tim Horton's, but when you are responsible for murdering someone the shine kind of wears off. Ryan, I am disappointed in you, your beard, AND your ridiculously adorable face and hot body. SHAME.
Less than two weeks after signing a seven year contract extension worth $52.5-million, Buffalo Sabres centre Ryan OReilly has been charged with impaired driving after a pickup truck collided with a Tim Hortons in Lucan, Ont.
Arrogant? Blow things out of proportion much Frank?
From that article:
“I’m pretty confident in my own abilities,” Eichel told a throng of reporters and cameras Friday at the NHL Scouting Combine inside HarborCenter. “I know everyone’s making a big deal.” Eichel never intended to compare himself to McDavid, who will be picked first by the Edmonton Oilers. “It’s more of just confidence in my own self,” Eichel said.
Seems pretty down to earth to me, nothing wrong with confidence in oneself.
Someone actually gave Babcock credit for turning datsyuk and zetterberg into the 2way players they are today.
"(Insert random d man here) will be better because Babcock will use him all the time like he uses smith,"
"Panik is a bigger version of Tatar,"
"Babcock will make so&so elite defensively and his system will also make him score more."
Its absolutely ridiculous how I'll informed these people are.
it's a good thing I was already pooping when I read this
At this point, it doesn't even matter why he left. We had him as our fav teams coach for 10 years. He left on good terms. There are no hard feelings on either end with the exception of some bitter fans.
No matter what some people think, Babs just had an exit interview, paid for an ad to say goodbye and he is by far, bar none the best coach in all of hockey, no discussion needed. That man even held back tears at the start of his presser.
I wish him nothing but the best, thanks for 10 marvelous years Babs . Change is scary, it's an unknown thing...like I've said many times maybe Blashhill works out maybe he doesn't but one thing is for sure but I pray they at least interview other candidates just to get a feeling on how people from the outside are viewing this team right now.
Not sure people realize we had top PP for most of year and only dropped to 2nd at end of season when wings were slumping. Hiller will be a big loss.
I know people are trying to act all tough but losing known entities for unknown people (unknown how their coaching will transfer to NHL) scares the s*** out of me. Not denying there is some excitement too but still scary.
I'm excited for both the Wings and the Leafs. Honestly, guys...what is with all the Leafs hate? Nobody who claims to love this game would want Detroit's historic rival to languish in the league basement for decades. I personally look forward to Babcock coaching a team that actually is a challenge for the Wings to play.
Because they are in our division. And I don't want anyone else in our division to win...ever.