Have to love this time of year. Checking scores every few minutes, logging in for the updated standings, doing the math to see how many possible points other teas have left vs us.... it is GREAT! Not as great as running away with things, but still a ton of fun. BTW if I have done the math correctly-we need 2 more wins and 1 NJ loss to clinch! Then we win the tie breakers on ROW.
Rick, big difference here. bert is done. toast, finished, career over. Callahan is just beginning. maybe he becomes something, maybe not. we don't know. But he needs to play so we can find out. There are many reasons why he was a step slow. unfamiliar, nerves, told to focus on skating, etc....... I still think he is a 4th line checking guy, which is fine. maybe adds 10-15 goals per year. Great!
1. Franzen has not played great all year. He has played like crap fro most of the year. In October he played 12 games and scored 2 goals, both in the same game. In November he played in 10 games-missed 4 while hurt and scored 4 goals. In december he played in 8 games, missed 6 while hurt and scored 3 goals. In january he played 1 game, missed 12 and scored 0 goals. In February he played in 2 games, missed 4 others and scored 3 goals-all in the same game. March he has played in 7 games, missed none and has 3 goals. But again nothing the last 4.
2. Leaders lead, not push. If you want to lead Johan, put the puck in the net! That is how leaders do it.
3. Leaders also don't disappear. I understand that no one scores in every game. But goals scorers do it more than once a month. Your even worse, because when you don't score you stop skating, checking, playing D etc.....
It was midway through the second before I even realized that Alfie was playing. He was a non factor. but then again he is 40+. Guys do run out of gas. Kronwall was -2 for the game after getting an assist on our goal.
Kronwall is our default #1 Dman. Just a few years ago when he was 28/29 he was our 3/4. Nick, rafalski, were clearly better and Staurt was equal or better. This is not to say that Kronwall is bad, because that isn't it at all. But when on the same team with guys that are 40 and 36, he was secondary.
Now if you want a list, go to the thread I started about Mark fayne. I posted 24 names there and yes I missed a few. Now you may have a different list, but ask yourself the same question. How many of those guys I listed in a 1 for 1 trade would we be able to pick up for Kronwall? Very few. No, it is not all because of talent. Age and contracts do come into play.
because of our ages and time, many don't fully understand just how good guys like Howe, Abel, delvecchio, Lindsey etc..... were. As much as I love The Captain, he isn't even our best all time C. Howe is regarded by just about everyone as the greatest of all time. Even Gretzky considers him so. hell the Soviet Union was always rumored to have patterned their entire hockey program on him.
This is not meant to cast Nick in a bad light or anything. He is either the best or second best Dman of all time. In some ways he gets overlooked. he was so quite and steady. Never hurt, never angry, never dirty play, just went about his business every day and did his job-which was to shut down the other teams top forward line.
I have spent the last 3 days out of town on business. Only had time to check his forum a coupe of times while gone. Made a post or 2. I raced home today hoping that Holland would have rolled the dice and made a hockey move. Now we knw a few things.
1. Holland said: " No rentals". He lied. Legwand is a rental.
2. Holland: "would like to make a hockey move". This is a bad hockey move.
3. Holland gets screwed in every trade he makes the last few years. A 3rd round pick by itself is enough for Legwand.