Why is our top scorer being put on the 3rd line? I would rather move Z to center the 3rd line than move Brunner. Brunner is at least productive, Z is clearly struggling to do just about everything right now.
I think that Tatar should be moved up though. I think that the top 2 lines should look something like:
I thought this was a neat little story from the Wings 97 Cup run. I actually remember this game and a play that was made after Fedorov came back into the game where he skated down the ice and beat Foote to an icing call and then tried to move the puck towards the net and drew a penalty. I remember the crowd going nuts because it was such an electric play.
I never knew the injury he came back from was that bad though.
I'm sorry, but you'll need to point me to where he said "We're satisfied with our current roster and won't be making any further moves." I haven't seen that.
"There's a small list of players out there and a lot of teams in the market," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "We're happy that we got the guys that we did on July 1." That day, when unrestricted free agency began, has been the highlight of the summer for the Red Wings. They signed goaltender Jonas Gustavsson, and forwards Mikael Samuelsson, Jordin Tootoo and Damien Brunner. "We like our team, we like who we have," Holland said. "We'll continue to look over the market, make our (phone) calls, and continue to try and get better."
The forward situation had nowhere to go but up. We made no moves last season and had a mediocre offensive to defensive ratio.
Hudler leaving (and BTW I am glad he's gone, too small and too slow) and the return of Sammy with the addition of Tootoo isn't blowing up my skirt. I don't see much of an improvement in offense, just in a more well rounded forward unit (more shots and more hitting than last season). But the main issue with forwards is SCORING and that has not been addressed or improved at all.
1. Kenny wasn't wise by not signing them. They chose to go to the Wild. Kenny would have paid those contracts too.
2. The Wings had Lidstrom over the last 20 years, and Ken Holland took over after they already had rebuilt the train wreck that was the 1980s.
3. Our situation has improved from last year how? Last year we signed Ian White and had Lidstrom and Stuart still. 'Splain yourself.
4. Flip hasn't done anything of note. He can be traded to teams that think he is a somebody though, I'll give you that.
5. 100% correct on Brunner. He could be a difference maker or the next Fabian Brunnstrom. We'll see.
6. Smith is unproven. He will get his chance this season. +/- is a useless stat for players not getting ample minutes.
7. Ericsson will definitely get more ice time. He is our #3 defenseman and better pay for himself or he could be gone as well (although there aren't that many GMs who would take that ridiculous contract, except maybe the Wild).