Context is key here.
- Timonen's their Kronwall, and he's just about done.
- Streit's 36 and nothing really special.
- Coburn, Grossman, Gustafsson, Hal Gill. In a word, woof.
- When was the last time you heard about a Flyers prospect? Can you name a Flyers prospect, just off the top of your head? If so, is he a defenseman? If so, is he any good? If so, which do you feel is the more likely outcome: that he a) is developed with care and patience and becomes a solid top-four defenseman for the Flyers, or b) gets traded for Douglas Murray?
- This summer's crop of UFA defensemen is terribad, and I doubt many top-end defensemen will be moved.
So I'd say they actually did pretty well.
Side note: wonder if they'd be interested in any of Kindl, Lashoff, Almqvist. Lashoff is big and mean and simple, and they like big and mean and simple. Almqvist could be the second coming of Timonen. Kindl could be a low-risk high-reward add.