As much as this news sucks, I'm going to put a positive spin on it, because I feel like it.
1. This increases dramatically the possibilities of Jurco starting the year and remaining with the Wings - where hopefully they'll reunite the kid line from last year with him, Tatar and Sheahan, whom I thought were truly tremendous. Not only does this add to our scoring depth, it allows the 3 of them to grow their game at the NHL level together, feeding off each other and reaching new heights. Add into the fact that if D and Z are healthy, they won't be playing against top line opponents, which maximises their opportunities for success.
2. While we may have seen Mantha start the year with the Wings (I felt it unlikely, but no one could count it out), his injury/rehab process will mean that he will definitely start his pro career in GR, which is at this stage what I feel is best for him. Get his confidence playing against men, and then he can help the Wings down the stretch next year or as a playoff black ace, while getting a cup of coffee at some point along the way.
3. It opens the door for others - Pulkkinen especially, and that free roster spot may now open the door for someone like Callahan to prove he's worth more than say Andersson.
The negatives I can see from this:
1. Mantha doesn't get to even participate in camp, nor play pre-season games against pro opposition.
2. He'll be rehabbing, unable to use that leg for 5-6 weeks, which will put his progress back a little way. By no means is it insurmountable, but not the kind of start you'd want to your first pro season.
- Wheelchairsuperhero likes this