• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redeyedwings

Octopus vs. Shark

Rate this topic

Another Wings essay from my buddy. I send them along because he's a professional writer with a blog, and doesn't write about sports that often, but he's a hardcore Wings fan in Toronto and when he does write about the Wings, it's usually pretty good.

Anyway, enjoy:

"the teams seem to embody the characteristics of their particular mascots.

The Sharks are big and tough and mean. They’re the biggest team, by average size of their players, in the NHL. They’re one of the youngest. They love to attack. They rely on their strength and quickness and aggression to simply overpower their opponents, as they did to (ironically enough for the purposes of this story) the Nashville Predators in the first round.

The Red Wings are not very big. Nor are they particularly fast, though they can move with great speed when an opportunity presents itself. They’re not known for toughness and relentless agression, but for thinking the game, using their experience to determine the pace of play and waiting for an opportune moment to launch a devastating counter-attack."

It's nice and long, though. The rest is here: http://dirtygames.wordpress.com/2007/05/07/octopussy/

What kind of pandering is this? The Sharks aren't aggressive and obviously don't love to attack.

Oh, c'mon dude! I hate it when fans start getting pissy and sarcastic about their team just because they have a couple of bad games. That's pretty poor on your part.

Unless that's really how you view the Sharks, which would make it better for me, but way worse for you.

Chill out and take your defeats like a man. The Wings are outplaying the Sharks and refusing to quit under pressure. Your team can't handle that ... we'll see what happens tonight.