• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

No holes in Z's game!

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=362880

But with so much attention these days being focused on the likes of Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin, does Zetterberg receive the accolades he so richly deserves?

He thinks so.

“I’m here to play hockey – that’s my job,” Zetterberg said. “I like doing that here and it’s a great town to do that. I think I get the recognition that I deserve.”

Datsyuk was drafted the year before Zetterberg was – in the sixth round (is it any wonder why Detroit is consistently one of the League’s top teams?). And even though it’s clear Zetterberg should have been a top-10 selection in 1999 – the New York Rangers took Pavel Brendl fourth overall – the sensational Swede said he was not upset about having to wait so long before his name was finally called in Round 7.

In fact, he was actually shocked.

“I’m not the biggest guy now, but I was even smaller at the time of my draft year,” Zetterberg said. “It was happy that I got drafted. I didn’t speak to a lot of teams. I think it was the Red Wings and maybe one other team that showed interest. I was really surprised when (Director of European Scouting) Hakan Andersson called me and told me that I was drafted.”

Edited by Opie