• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wheelchairwing

DefDefense and Goaltending

Rate this topic

After watching the entire season and the playoffs, I would like to think that this year is just an "off year" for (especially) Lidstrom and the rest of the defense. There are times that I think Lidstrom looks all of his 39 years, and I don't think he is going to play like Chelios. Ozzie is 36 years old and may only have two to four years left in the tank. Obviously, everyone here knows the importance of Lidstrom to this team and the fact that Ozzie has allowed the Red Wings (to some degree) to maintain their competitiveness due to the fact that his salary is miniscule compared to other starting goalies. Now, I know that in the sports world, four years can be an eternity, but I have to wonder how long we can keep this going. I remember last year when Lidstrom was injured for a handful of games and we just could not get it together. Also, how are our goalie prospects doing? Is there anyone that stands out more than anyone else. This just tells me that regardless of what happens on Friday night, we should all enjoy this "era" as much as possible, because who knows when we might be able to get back to this stage. I am not being pessimistic, just realistic. I would love to see us win this year and then go for the elusive three peat, believe me (we had a chance to do it in 1999 and couldn't get the job done, it has irked me ever since!). I have to keep everything in perspective. Sorry if this has been posted at an inopportune time, it has been eating away at me all series.