253 replies to this topic

#241 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

lol at the bolded part

Yzerman was either offensive star (early years) or defensive star (but significantly worse offensive player) later (Bowman). He was one of the most important Red Wings, obviously, but he does not deserve more credit (for the Cup wins) than Fedorov, Lidstrom or Shanahan. And Lidstrom then went to win another in 08. That means he was more important overall.

Yzerman scored 155 points in 1988-89. That's a number that only Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux have surpassed. He also received Selke votes, including a first place vote, that season. He was in the Selke voting other years in the 80s as well. It's only because of Fedorov's early 90s Selke/Hart and the fact the Wings went from a powerhouse offensive team to a defense-first championship team, and Bowman made a big deal about Yzerman having to be the leader with regard to that.

But back to my main point; Yzerman's play in the 80s was surpassed only by Gretzky and Lemieux. He took a Red Wings squad that was composed of AHL players and turned it into a team that would win division crowns. The only reason the Wings didn't get past the Conference Finals in any of those years is the fact that they played the Oilers in the CFs.

Lidstrom deserves a lot of credit...but Yzerman was a great defensive player in his early years as well. Not as great as he was later on, but the "Yzerman went from one-way player to defensive star" myth is ridiculous.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#242 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:40 AM

Yzerman scored 155 points in 1988-89. That's a number that only Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux have surpassed. He also received Selke votes, including a first place vote, that season. He was in the Selke voting other years in the 80s as well. It's only because of Fedorov's early 90s Selke/Hart and the fact the Wings went from a powerhouse offensive team to a defense-first championship team, and Bowman made a big deal about Yzerman having to be the leader with regard to that.

But back to my main point; Yzerman's play in the 80s was surpassed only by Gretzky and Lemieux. He took a Red Wings squad that was composed of AHL players and turned it into a team that would win division crowns. The only reason the Wings didn't get past the Conference Finals in any of those years is the fact that they played the Oilers in the CFs.

Lidstrom deserves a lot of credit...but Yzerman was a great defensive player in his early years as well. Not as great as he was later on, but the "Yzerman went from one-way player to defensive star" myth is ridiculous.

155 points .. in the 80's. Also, Steve never even came close to that mark (137 in 92-93 and 127 in 89-90, other than tha no offensive star seasons). And it is a proven fact that he had to sacrifice some of his offense to become a good defensive player, which was needed to win the Cup. Yzerman started getting significant number of Selke votes when he was no longer an offensive star. It is a myth that Yzerman was an offensive star and provided Selke caliber defense at the same time.

#243 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

I look at it this way, Tampa will be a good place for Yzerman to hone his skills and prepare for the real GM gig in Detroit when Holland does retire.

#244 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

155 points .. in the 80's. Also, Steve never even came close to that mark (137 in 92-93 and 127 in 89-90, other than tha no offensive star seasons). And it is a proven fact that he had to sacrifice some of his offense to become a good defensive player, which was needed to win the Cup. Yzerman started getting significant number of Selke votes when he was no longer an offensive star. It is a myth that Yzerman was an offensive star and provided Selke caliber defense at the same time.

Yzerman scored 50 goals (6th in the NHL) and 52 assists in 64 games in 1987-88 and was 11th in Selke voting with first-place votes. His projected points line was 63-65-128, which would have placed him 2nd-9th-4th.

Yzerman scored 65 goals (3rd-3rd-3rd) and 90 assists in 1988-89, and was 18th in Selke voting with first place votes. He also won the Lester B. Pearson award that season.

I didn't say Yzerman didn't have to sacrifice offense. But to say he was not good defensively at his offensive best is idiotic.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#245 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:36 PM

Yzerman scored 50 goals (6th in the NHL) and 52 assists in 64 games in 1987-88 and was 11th in Selke voting with first-place votes. His projected points line was 63-65-128, which would have placed him 2nd-9th-4th.

Yzerman scored 65 goals (3rd-3rd-3rd) and 90 assists in 1988-89, and was 18th in Selke voting with first place votes. He also won the Lester B. Pearson award that season.

I didn't say Yzerman didn't have to sacrifice offense. But to say he was not good defensively at his offensive best is idiotic.

I did not say he was liability or bad defensively. Just that he became elite defensive player when he was no longer offensive star.

#246 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

The Lightning are now reporting a spike in season ticket sales and season ticket renewals.

http://www.tampabay....ke-ticket-sales

#247 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

The Lightning are now reporting a spike in season ticket sales and season ticket renewals.

http://www.tampabay....ke-ticket-sales

I wonder if this is the first time the hiring of a general manager has resulted in an increase in season ticket sales and renewals...*ponder*
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#248 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

I wonder if this is the first time the hiring of a general manager has resulted in an increase in season ticket sales and renewals...*ponder*

How strange.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#249 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

I did not say he was liability or bad defensively. Just that he became elite defensive player when he was no longer offensive star.

Scoring nearly a point a game in the late 90s/early 00s definitely still qualifies as 'star' caliber. He was 10th in the league in scoring the year he won the Selke.

He might not have been Sakic/Forsberg/Jagr level, but he was still a top-end forward in the league.

#250 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Ye and im sure teemu selanne did that to since he got his best point total in his rookie season....gimme a break, yzerman doesnt deserve the most credit for the cup, our team was godly in all aspects

Edited by Puckpossession, 31 May 2010 - 01:54 PM.

#251 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Yzermans first move is bringing in Guy Boucher ?....thats the report out of Montreal

#252 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

yep according to RDS

Posted Image

#253 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip