• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo

5 Year-old Gives up Zamboni ride for little brother undergoing chemo

Rate this topic

My older son and I went to the Western Michigan vs. Ferris State CCHA playoff hockey game last night. During an intermission, I noticed probably the smallest Zamboni rider I've seen at Lawson Arena. Talking to a co-worker, I now know how Gideon got his Zamboni ride. His five year-old brother was asked by Western if he wanted the ride, and it was a something that he's been dreaming about for some time... but at the last minute he opted to give the chance away to his younger brother who suffers from leukemia and is going though chemotherapy.

As we made our way to where the Zambonis are parked, Gideon said, "I WISH I COULD RIDE ON ONE!!!" and his little lip trembled. I explained that when he was a little older, he could do it. Then, Brody stepped in and set my heartcoaster in motion. He said, "He can go in my place."

Read the rest here (with photos)!

That takes a very big heart to give up your dream for someone else. But what a gift for his brother, not just riding the Zamboni, but that sacrifice from a five-year-old. Life has a way of working things out. I can't help but feel he will be reward ten-fold somehow.