• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (FunkyBlueFish203 @ August 25, 2005 - 10:50AM)
He's got an excellent game but it would be smart for him to take it slow. He can start as a backup and work his way into playing more games. College hockey schedule in NA is set up in such a way that majority of the games are only played on the weekends, so players are used to playing 2 days a week. This is why Howard will have to adjust to the schedule first and foremost. Secondly, the higher you go in skill level, the faster the pace is, so though Howard excelled at the college level, he will have to get used to the pace of the AHL. He can do it, he's got a great skillset. Even if he does well, the Griffins should start him off slow, and if he keeps doing well, he can slowly take over the starter's spot from MacDonald.

Jimmy will play in the rookie tournament in Traverse City and later head on to training camp. No matter how well he does there, he will play the season in Grand Rapids.

IMO, he should spend a minimum of 1 & 1/2 - 2 years in Grand Rapids. What this does, though, is it leaves Manny Legace as the odd man out. If Howard does well and in a season earns the starting role in Grand Rapids, MacDonald could be brought up to back up Chris Osgood and Legace could be traded to make room. Legace has some trade value and could fetch a decent winger in return if packaged with someone else.

Thanks!
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#22 barnztormre

barnztormre

Polo: the ORIGINAL little ball of hate

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (FunkyBlueFish203 @ August 24, 2005 - 09:26PM)
carried Maine to the NCAA championship game winning 13-straight 1-goal games along the way. They lost the final 1-0 to CC, a pure heartbreaker.

Grrr....don't get me started.....I paid $100 to a scalper for a nosebleed seat due to pressures from my father-in-law, a diehard Black Bear fan. Gave up seats at Fenway to see Pedro pitch a gem too.

Most boring hockey game I'd seen in years. Once CC got the lead they sat back, trapping and icing, trapping and icing. Horrible. Final shots were like 21-19 or something. Even if Maine had won (and we had a legitimate goal waived off due to that STUPID CREASE RULE THAT EVERY OTHER LEAGUE EXCEPT FOR THE NCAA has abolished) it would still have been largely unwatchable.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Jimmy Howard....got so worked up I got sidetracked and forgot about the topic at hand.

He has nothing left to prove at the NCAA level. It'll be him or Macdonald (or Liv?) backing up Legace next year. A platoon situation in GR would be ideal, moving McIntyre to Toledo fulltime.

Edited by barnztormre, 25 August 2005 - 10:25 AM.

“I’m goofy crazy about this sport called hockey” - Gordie Howe

#23 Henkka

Henkka

Finnish Wing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:58 AM

Could the timetable be this:

2005-06 season:

Back-up goalie at Griffins.

2006-07 season:

Starting goalie at Griffins. MacDonald promoted to Detroit, Legace leaves for free agency and Osgood continues to be the starting goalie for Detroit.

2007-08 season:

Back-up goalie at Detroit. MacDonald back to Grand Rapids. Jimmy learns routines to play in NHL-level. Osgood a starter.

2008-09 season:

Starting goalie of the Red Wings at age of 25. Osgood retires/goes free agency. MacDonald a back-up.

If he can impact faster it's fine for me. But I think this is quite near realistic future.

Edited by Henkka, 25 August 2005 - 10:59 AM.

user posted imageuser posted image

#24 pucker4fischer

pucker4fischer

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Henkka @ August 25, 2005 - 11:58AM)

2005-06 season:

2006-07 season:

Starting goalie at Griffins. MacDonald promoted to Detroit, Legace leaves for free agency and Osgood continues to be the starting goalie for Detroit.

2007-08 season:

Back-up goalie at Detroit. MacDonald back to Grand Rapids. Jimmy learns routines to play in NHL-level. Osgood a starter.

2008-09 season:

Starting goalie of the Red Wings at age of 25. Osgood retires/goes free agency. MacDonald a back-up.

If he can impact faster it's fine for me. But I think this is quite near realistic future.

I think alot of it depends on which goalie takes the reins this season and out performs the other. That will determine next year's goalie situation.

On the other hand, Luongo doesn't look to happy with Florida, I wonder if the wings will take a hard look at him next season..if he is a free agent. At any rate, our future goalie situation is lookin pretty damn good cool.gif

Edited by pucker4fischer, 25 August 2005 - 03:05 PM.

Don't stop playin till you hear the whistle

#25 SUPERSTUD

SUPERSTUD

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb - but who's who?

• Silver Booster
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Henkka @ August 25, 2005 - 11:58AM)

2005-06 season:

2006-07 season:

2007-08 season:

2008-09 season:

good points, but I think kenny would think howard as still too young, would wait until howard is 30+ before making him a starter, or trade him for an old guy mad.gif

Edited by SUPERSTUD, 25 August 2005 - 03:42 PM.

#26 beerandwings

beerandwings

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (beerandwings @ August 24, 2005 - 09:31PM)
Now THAT is a good signing. It will take a couple years to get to the bigs, but c'mon, the guy has proven everything there is to prove! Time to go. And this is the best prospective defensman we have! 

I think you meant best goaltender.

Nope, I consider the goalie to play a little defense too, I was hoping people would infer that. I will refrain in the future.

Hope you are right on the timetable. But you never know, there could be a rash of injuries (not that we have any experience with that at the goalie position!) and he could be brought up faster. I just hope he doesnt "blackburn-out".

#27 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:43 PM

I think the realistic option will be to have Howard ready to take over in about 3 years. He's 21 now, so by the time he's 24-25, he should be ready to be a starter in the NHL.

According to Jim Nill, Jimmy Howard will be competing for the 3rd spot behind Osgood and Legace at training camp this summer; that's how much they believe in this kid, and rightfully so. He is the best goalie prospect we have had in ages. I just hope he keeps doing well because if he does, he will end up being one of the best goalies in the NHL with the likes of Kari Lehtonen and company.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#28 CupCrazy22

CupCrazy22

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:58 PM

I am loving this signing. Can't wait to see him in a Wings uniform.

#29 wingnut77

wingnut77

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:05 PM

the lock out came as a blessing to me down in Dallas TX> I only got to watch the Wolverines play 1 or 2 times a year,and that is if they played in the Frozen Four. In the past all I could do is look up the final score of the games on the web site. But, last year I payed for the sports package on Direct TV and got too see a lot more College Hockey. I got to see Howard play a bunch, and I have to say he was the best!! His postioning was good, he had a guick glove hand,and he could play like Hasek if he had to. He won't be down on GR for long, may be not at all!!!!!

#30 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:42 PM

Bangor News who cover the Black Bears very closely have a good article with details. It features comments from the Red Wings about Howard.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

http://www.freep.com...6e_20050826.htm

Its pointed out that ozzie and manny's contracts are up at the end of this year....could Howard possibly replace one of them?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman