• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sean

What do we think about Bertuzzi replacing Holmstrom on the ZDH line?

Rate this topic

Only a mad, incompetent coach would break up a line which was best in the NHL.

keyword...was

Dont get me wrong i hope it returns to full strength but dont just assume that it will

My lines would be:

Hank/Dats/Homer ------ Best Line in Leauge

Calder/Lang/Hudler ---- Was producing great scoring when together

Bert/Drapes/Malts ------ The grind line reborn

Flip/Franzen/Cleary ----- Great energy line

I know I might get bashed for putting Bert on the third line but why mess up a good thing?

My lines would be:

I know I might get bashed for putting Bert on the third line but why mess up a good thing?

i dont see anything wrong with your lines...i just think bert would do a better job at opening space for hank and dats than homer will, plus he can screen like homer, i think that would be better, and then placing homer on the second line, you have a 2nd screen threat, accompanied by a sniper (lang hopefully) and a grinder in calder, then place huds on third with drapes and malts...and your fourth line is probably awesome....only problem is i dont see flip and huds in at the same time due to babs not willing to sit sammy

i dont see anything wrong with your lines...i just think bert would do a better job at opening space for hank and dats than homer will, plus he can screen like homer, i think that would be better, and then placing homer on the second line, you have a 2nd screen threat, accompanied by a sniper (lang hopefully) and a grinder in calder, then place huds on third with drapes and malts...and your fourth line is probably awesome....only problem is i dont see flip and huds in at the same time due to babs not willing to sit sammy

I believe Huds is awesome with Lang. It's almost like they speak the same language....oh wait they do!! :P

The change I would make on your lines would be Huds for Calder and then put Calder on the 3rd line with Malts and Drapes.

I believe Huds is awesome with Lang. It's almost like they speak the same language....oh wait they do!! :P

The change I would make on your lines would be Huds for Calder and then put Calder on the 3rd line with Malts and Drapes.

i just see calder as an infinite help to lang's laziness...we need a hard grinder on there, and while huds works very hard, hes not the same "grinder" that im referring to that calder defines. Malts and drapes are both hard workers, if anything id leave huds with calder and homer on 2nd line and drop lang...but thats pushing it :rolleyes:

EDIT: congrats on joining on a leap year, im sure youre unique in your join date hahahah :P

Edited by Viperar

Only an insane, incompetent coach would break up a line which was so productive as to be best in the NHL. This is what everything comes down to.

unless that line is potentially better with bert. bottom line is that just about anybody is going to produce with z and dats. the great success of that line the second half of this year had a lot less to do with homer than z and dats (obviously). you put somebody on that line that can fullfill homer's role and exceed it (bert), then it stands to reason the line will produce even more. the determining factor is clearly chemistry as chemistry could negate berts edge in all around skill and beastliness :cool: . but i think that is something that should be found out via trial and error. also, homer's not been the same since he went out and i think it's safe to assume z won't be the same for a while after he get's back. the great success of that line may be a thing of the past now anyhow.

i just see calder as an infinite help to lang's laziness...

yep. i feel like most of the time hudler and clader are meerly working their asses off to counteract lang's worthless passes and just general lazy and seemingly aimless wandering. :crazy: that said, that line is still creating chances and it's just a matter of cashing in (which all three are capable of).

Guest LivingtheDream

This is a tough one! Stay with Homer to start. If Dats and Hank get pushed around too much, bammo, put Bert on the line asap. If , if, if... man, I just don't know. I take it all back. This is really tough.

that's the great thing about the depth we'll have once z is back. we'll have a lot of talent for 6 top spots. that means pressure to work hard and lots of line combo possibilities. hopefully babs will utilize this asset and we can get together some lethal scoring lines.

that's the great thing about the depth we'll have once z is back. we'll have a lot of talent for 6 top spots. that means pressure to work hard and lots of line combo possibilities. hopefully babs will utilize this asset and we can get together some lethal scoring lines.

I'll be shocked if Datsyuk and Bertuzzi aren't put together. Hank will be put on Lang's line, as he should be . Both latter guys have shown they can score in the post-season--Pavel has not. A great but small offensive player who has not shown up in the playoffs has the best power forward in the game added to his team--think about it: Pav and Bert won't be split up unless there's a clear chemistry problem. I think they'll do great.

Edited by dicksmack

Only an insane, incompetent coach would break up a line which was so productive as to be best in the NHL. This is what everything comes down to.

UGH. You are a broken record. Do you have any actual logic to back up this statement because I see 2 big problems with it. 1. The line has been broken up for quite a while now and we've had to find new ways to win, which just SHOWS that you shouldn't rely on one line combo for everything and 2. The best coaches in the world juggle lines all the time because of point 1.

keyword...was

Dont get me wrong i hope it returns to full strength but dont just assume that it will

Exactly. We dont' know what it'll be like when Z gets back. Also, even if that's the 'best line in hockey' if you can improve upon it, you do. I won't mind seeing Bert with Calder and Lang if Huddles gets moved down the ranks either, whichever way ends up working the best, but if he's BEST on the top line...I say go for it.

Bertuzzi is one of the best players on our team. We haven't been able to see it quite yet, but he is. We can't just throw him on the 4th line.

My thoughts, and I could only wish I was a coach:

Dats-Zet-Homer(Nothing more to say)

Calder-Lang-Bert(Big and Gritty with a dash of laziness and skill)

Franzen-Draper-Hudler(Franz/Drapes makes up for Hudler's lack of Defence and speed, Huds adds scoring)

Maltby-Flip-Cleary(Pure Energy)

Edit: Samuelson rides pine!!!!

Edited by NAVYWING

Perhaps...

Calder - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi

Lang - Zetterberg - Holmström

Franzén - Draper - Maltby

Cleary - Flippula - Samuelsson/Hudler

Just an idea. Could be interesting.

I like the idea of those lines actually. I just dont see how it's unreasonable to think Babcock might go with Dats and Bertuzzi as a pair.....especially when Bertuzzi has spent no time with Lang. Plus let's face it, Bertuzzi isnt good defensively, and Lang is a horror show of turnovers and bad decisions at times. You put Lang and Bertuzzi together....I could envision that line struggling mightly in their own end.

you need "balanced" scoring in the playoffs.

not the "best line in hockey".

It's not as simple as that. I would strongly prefer to keep that top line together when Zetterberg is healthy. It was unstoppable for a large portion of the season and there's no reason to believe it won't be the team's best line come the start of the playoffs.

I don't think that it's in the Wings' best interests to spread their skill guys out over the entire four lines -- it dilutes the talent too much. Holland said he wanted to improve the 2nd line at the trade deadline and he did exactly that with Calder and Bertuzzi.

Those guys are your wingers for Lang. (I don't think Bertuzzi playing with Datsyuk is indicative of where he'll be when we've got a full compliment of forwards. It's more along the lines of balancing the top two lines due to Zetterberg being out.)

After that you've got a third line that will play physical, defensive hockey against your opposition's top line in Maltby-Draper-Franzen. They'll even chip in the odd goal.

The 4th line with the kids won't get huge minutes but they'll bring a spark with high energy play, whether it's Filppula-Cleary-Hudler or Samuelsson in one of those spots.

You've got your energy lines and your skill lines -- and those skill lines come at you with two distinct styles. One with proven chemistry and on-ice vision with players that compliment eachother and another with fantastic size and skill to boot that won't be adverse to digging the puck out of the corner and cycling it.

It's not as simple as that. I would strongly prefer to keep that top line together when Zetterberg is healthy. It was unstoppable for a large portion of the season and there's no reason to believe it won't be the team's best line come the start of the playoffs.

I don't think that it's in the Wings' best interests to spread their skill guys out over the entire four lines -- it dilutes the talent too much. Holland said he wanted to improve the 2nd line at the trade deadline and he did exactly that with Calder and Bertuzzi.

Those guys are your wingers for Lang. (I don't think Bertuzzi playing with Datsyuk is indicative of where he'll be when we've got a full compliment of forwards. It's more along the lines of balancing the top two lines due to Zetterberg being out.)

After that you've got a third line that will play physical, defensive hockey against your opposition's top line in Maltby-Draper-Franzen. They'll even chip in the odd goal.

The 4th line with the kids won't get huge minutes but they'll bring a spark with high energy play, whether it's Filppula-Cleary-Hudler or Samuelsson in one of those spots.

You've got your energy lines and your skill lines -- and those skill lines come at you with two distinct styles. One with proven chemistry and on-ice vision with players that compliment eachother and another with fantastic size and skill to boot that won't be adverse to digging the puck out of the corner and cycling it.

Edmonton figured out that all they needed to do was stop the passing through the neutral zone and let Pronger and the gaolie block the shots and they won. We need lines that pass and ones that can use muscle to bring the puck in as opposed to dump and chase. A Bert-Dats-Clader line may be the type that if they do dump and chase, they can come up with the puck, as opposed to the DZH line, where only Homer is effective in the corners.

I mentioned this before but no one seems to want to give these combinations credit.

Dats - Hank - Homer > Enough said...

Calder - Huds - Bert >> Calder and Huds have had great chemistry and Bert adds size, skill, and the desire to play hard.

Cleary, Lang, Franzen >> Cleary and Lang put up a lot of points before Cleary got injured, Franzen adds grit

Malts, Drape, Flipper > Flipper adds the puck handling skill this line has been lacking and have already score twice when played like this together. Heck even Maltby scored when played together in this line from a great pass from Flip.

Sammy carries the bags and gets the players a new stick since atleast 10 break every game.

Edmonton figured out that all they needed to do was stop the passing through the neutral zone and let Pronger and the gaolie block the shots and they won.

Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton (to a lesser degree) won because they physically manhandled the Red Wings and kept players out of the neutral zone by, as you mentioned, closing off the passing lanes. What's that do? Fudges up your transition game.

We need lines that pass and ones that can use muscle to bring the puck in as opposed to dump and chase.

Bull-rushing the line with the puck isn't going to do anything against 2+ defenders when they close on you. All it'll result in is turnovers and a quick opportunity for the opposition. If the neutral zone is being effectively clogged up you MUST dump and chase -- adapt to what the defense gives you and don't try to impose your will on them (because, as the last three playoff "runs" attest -- it hasn't worked).

If you can effectively recover the puck on the forecheck on a consistent basis it should create a bit more space in the neutral zone as the defense can't cheat high in anticipation of the Wings trying to dipsy-doodle through the neutral zone AGAIN.

A Bert-Dats-Clader line may be the type that if they do dump and chase, they can come up with the puck, as opposed to the DZH line, where only Homer is effective in the corners.

You are *vastly* underrating Zetterberg's skills in the corner here.

You are *vastly* underrating Zetterberg's skills in the corner here.

Not against West Conf. defense like Anaheim and Calgary. They are bigger and stronger than Z and that does count for something. I am always thinking Z and Dats will come out of the corners with the puck, but with Pronger and Phaneuf right next to them I believe their chances diminish.

My point is that putting a skill player with grinders is not a totally unacceptable idea in the playoffs as opposed to your view that all the skill players should play on the same line and run the defense ragged. It might not work if the D is bigger and stronger than all the skill players (Z, Dats, Hudler, Flip). It makes it much easier to shut down the scoring if all the goals come from one line.

My lines would be:

Well put. I'm diggin' this lineup.

Ssh don't tell Babs you left Sammy out. :rolleyes: