• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
grsbmd

Some CBA Questions

Rate this topic

From what I understand of the old CBA, there were two types of compensatory draft picks:

1. Draft picks given up by one team to compensate another (this was how RFA losses were compensated)

2. Draft picks given by the league to compensate a team (this was how UFA losses were compensated)

(feel free to correct me if I'm getting any of this wrong)

So here are my questions:

1. What are the rules concerning RFA compensations (i.e. do all the draft picks have to be in a single draft year, can you provide draft picks that were acquired elsewhere...)?

2. Are there any compensatory picks provided by the league in the new CBA?

3. Tendering an offer to an RFA is often called "signing a player to an offer sheet". Does this mean that the player has to come to an agreement with the other team or does the RFA have no choice in the matter?

3a. If the RFA has no choice in the matter and has already changed teams, can he still go to arbitration to try to become a free agent?

Thank you for your answers.

From what I understand of the old CBA, there were two types of compensatory draft picks:

1. Draft picks given up by one team to compensate another (this was how RFA losses were compensated)

2. Draft picks given by the league to compensate a team (this was how UFA losses were compensated)

1. What are the rules concerning RFA compensations (i.e. do all the draft picks have to be in a single draft year, can you provide draft picks that were acquired elsewhere...)?

3. Tendering an offer to an RFA is often called "signing a player to an offer sheet". Does this mean that the player has to come to an agreement with the other team or does the RFA have no choice in the matter?

3a. If the RFA has no choice in the matter and has already changed teams, can he still go to arbitration to try to become a free agent?

The only question I can answer is 3.

Lets use Penner in this situation, he now has no options the options lie with the ducks. They match the offer and he is a duck, they don't match the offer and he is an oiler. The fact that he signed the offer letter puts him in this spot. He can not negotiate with either team he is waiting.

3a. He is signed for whatever the offer that was tendered is. Again with Penner he is an oil for 5 years 4.3 mil or he is a Duck for 5 years 4.3 mil. I don't believe they have to give him a better offer just match the old one. some one correct me if I am wrong.

Guest snowman89

The only question I can answer is 3.

Lets use Penner in this situation, he now has no options the options lie with the ducks. They match the offer and he is a duck, they don't match the offer and he is an oiler. The fact that he signed the offer letter puts him in this spot. He can not negotiate with either team he is waiting.

3a. He is signed for whatever the offer that was tendered is. Again with Penner he is an oil for 5 years 4.3 mil or he is a Duck for 5 years 4.3 mil. I don't believe they have to give him a better offer just match the old one. some one correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/index.html

You can download the complete CBA there, it is quite the read. I will look up some of those questions and get back with ya here.

Guest snowman89

Answer 1... If you have for example to give a #1, #2,and #3, you have to give them in the same draft, if the terms of compensation dictate you give 2 #1's then you must make them available in the next two drafts

Answer 1a, All picks given as compensation must be your own, you cant acquire draft picks for compensation.

Answer 2, For what action do you mean are they giving compensatory picks?

Answer 3. The player has to agree as well, this prevents the other teams from low balling the RFA.

Answer 3a, Since he agrees there would be no need for arbitration but I am sure you figured that out.

If you go to page 57 of the CBA it breaks down at what level the picks are given out at.....