• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
skacore

9/24 game review and where we stand now

Rate this topic

I hope this doesn't post twice, I think it bugged the first time...

I watched the game on TV and my observations were:

Franzen - Filppula - Hudler - played great, Franzen especially, Filppula was really crafty with the puck but he seems to lack that finishing touch, it will come with time. Franzen looks like a certified top 6 NHLer, hes skating hard, crashing the net, making plays happen. Hudler looked slow but he played well with the puck and created opportunities.

Ritola - didn't notice him too much, but he showed good speed and he wasn't afraid to get involved on the forecheck which is a good thing

Ellis - he played alright, his last 2 games were better, but he was still in good position and had a few opportunities. He is a real strong player along the boards and looks unstoppable when he attempts those wrap arounds

Grigorenko - he looked a little slow and awkward but he did have a few crafty plays. I don't remember him creating any threatening scoring opportunities

Ryno - he looked pretty good, the first two games I didn't see the hype about him at all, he looked like he was just...there. Now he is actually moving and getting involved in the play and getting himself in good positions to score, he was robbed of a goal tonight from a beaut pass from Hudler

Hartigan - didn't really notice him much tonight, he looked great against Minnesota but haven't seen the same flash since then

Downey - overall he had an alright game, I was impressed with his fight, he took on a very tough Andre Roy and edged him. He looks a little clumsy along the boards when cycling but if he can get that aspect of the game down I'm confident he can take a regular NHL shift

Cullen - didn't really notice him much to be honest

Clark - he played well, he was aggressive on the forecheck and really rowdy, he's much younger than Downey and it shows in his play, he took a couple huge runs at guys tonight but didn't quite connect. His fight with Nick Tarnasky was a tiny bit of a disappointment but he managed to hold his own and came back a bit towards the end. I'd like to see him develop a couple years in the AHL on the Griffins and see what he can do

McGrath - didn't notice him too much but when I did see him he seemed to have a jump in his stride

for D,

Quincey - he looked great, solid NHL defenseman who IMO can play in the top 4, he is physical, young, makes smart decisions, can get himself involved offensively and he clears the front of the net, I'd love him as 6th D over Lebda sad.gif

Cullimore - just a bad player, he's slow, makes bad decisions, isn't overly physical, can't make a break out pass... why is he still here?

Sopel - I wish I could say he looked great but he didn't, he made horrible give aways and missed on simple breakout passes, if he makes the line up it's cause what he's done in the past not in preseason, I still haven't seen this booming shot I keep hearing about

Lebda - his goal was great but overall he had a poor game... I'm not feeling this guy. He is sub par on defense and he doesn't bring enough offensive ability to be valuable IMO. He is weak in his own end and doesn't have a shot from the point, he is a fantastic skater once he gets going but I'm not a big fan of him, he reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters

Ericsson - played great, I'm so glad he's panned out to be a great D, he is huge, pretty strong (still needs to work on strength), fantastic shot, quick skater, responsible, can clear the front of the net... great player, I hope he can become a bit stronger and a little more physical like I've seen him be in the AHL

Kronwall - didn't really notice him much but he had a pretty average game it seemed, nothing spectacular but no brutal giveaways or anything, he was in position and solid defensively, made good breakout passes

Osgood - didn't have a great game, he'll rebound

Berkhoel - he had a great game, good for him, he looked shaky on a lot of his stops but he got the job done and that's what counts

#1 contender for 13th F: Matt Ellis, Aaron Downey, Mark Hartigan (only so Ellis can play full time in the AHL and captain the Griffins another year)

#1 contender for 7th D: should be Kyle Quincey, but will probably be Derek Meech because of waivers

thoughts?

I saw the game to Ska, have to say your review was dead on, good job. The only slight disagreement I would have is that I think Grigs looked, for lack of better term, bad. But dead on review.

well yeah more or less he was just plain bad, but when he did get the puck he had a bit of flare and you can tell that he has an idea of what he wants to do with it, he just can't get it done... hopefully it's part of adjusting to the North American game

I can't even begin to fathom what this means...

"he reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters"

...but I am laughing really hard. No offense! It is just such an out of left field comment.

lol yeah... I can't really explain but I'm sure some people know where I'm coming from.. this is all in my opinion here, but I think he is sub par defensively (like I said), and brings little offensive upside, what he does bring is the occassional end to end rush goal and it gets everyone roaring about him (Harlem Glovetrotters)

I've only caught 1 game via the net; to be honest I thought Sopel would be a bit more "impressive" - so far he hasn't done anything that would secure a spot on this roster...Quincey however looked good, & I really do hope he stays with the big club - even if it means taking over a spot from either Lilja, or Lebda...Quincey would make an excellent partner for Chelios on the 3rd pairing :thumbup:

I would love to see

Lidstrom Rafalski

Kronwall Quincey

Ericsson Chelios

The only thing i have to say is at what point do all of you start bitching about our d making mistakes all the time. Did any one see Ericsson turnover that led to the first goal. Meech the game i saw him played looked liked s***.

Quincey i dont think is ready i think another year in the AHL would not hurt. Downey thought he did what he was brought to camp to do. Igor all i can say is dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out,this guy is slow and always seems out of place. I think the only one from FWD spot that should make it Downey just cuz he brings something the wings dont have and need. Now for D i was big sopel guy but cant say he has been great or bad really just AVG and thats do bad for him. The D is really up for grabs. If i had to take a guess they will go with soap cuz he is old, thats what the wings seem to likes. FWD they will go with igor he is like everything we have now so why change.

Edited by Curban915

I've only caught 1 game via the net; to be honest I thought Sopel would be a bit more "impressive" - so far he hasn't done anything that would secure a spot on this roster...Quincey however looked good, & I really do hope he stays with the big club - even if it means taking over a spot from either Lilja, or Lebda...Quincey would make an excellent partner for Chelios on the 3rd pairing :thumbup:

I agree. I really thought Sopel would be a great pairing with Nick. But he's been a BIG disappointment so far.

I also think Quincy should be getting the nod over Lilja. I'm not a Lils hater but Quincy has more dimensions to his game and he deserves to be in the NHL.