• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

weird stat

Rate this topic

We've now outshot our opponents for the 18th series in a row.

Apparently that's win or lose.

I got this from the Vs. Hockey Central.

Stats like this really make an opposing goalie look really good. Say we take 36 shots and Ellis lets in 2, and we win the game. He still has saved 34 freakin saves. The losing goalie usually ends being the 3rd star of the night!

Edited by miller76

Stats like his really make an opposing goalie look really good. Say we take 36 shots and Ellis lets in 2, and we win the game. He still has saved 34 freakin shots. The losing goalie usually ends being the 3rd star of the night!

The Beauty of our puck control system...

some would say (and they are not necessarily wrong) that the reason our shot totals are so high is that we take a ton of shots at the goalies logo and shots from the blueline unscreened. this is true. we do.

however, the puck can't go in if it doesn't get near the net. just look at lids today, 100 footer finds twine. the shots we don't take can't go in so by all means shoot away SAMMY.

Maybe someone can help me with this. Why isn't it considered a shot on goal if the puck hits the goal post? I have never heard why. It just seems like if there was a closer shot on goal then hitting the post, it would be a goal.

Maybe someone can help me with this. Why isn't it considered a shot on goal if the puck hits the goal post? I have never heard why. It just seems like if there was a closer shot on goal then hitting the post, it would be a goal.

been wondering the same thing for a while now. good old google gave me this...

A shot on goal in the NHL is any shot that would go into the net had the GOALIE not stopped it. This means shots off posts that do not go into the net are not shots on goal. Shots that hit the bar first and then go in without first touching the goalie are considered shots.

note: Most scorekeepers count shots that a goalie saves with the majority of his body in the crease as shots, regardless of whether or not they would have gone wide or not.

that should clear it up. makes sense. i mean if your taking shooting practice with no keeper and hit the crossbar and it bounces away, the shot didn't really ever have a chance of going in. where as a drifter from your own zone shot 120ft. straight down the middle could go in if the goalie has a brain fart (cough cough ellis' bad break cough).

PEACE!

A shot on goal in the NHL is any shot that would go into the net had the GOALIE not stopped it. This means shots off posts that do not go into the net are not shots on goal. Shots that hit the bar first and then go in without first touching the goalie are considered shots.

note: Most scorekeepers count shots that a goalie saves with the majority of his body in the crease as shots, regardless of whether or not they would have gone wide or not.

that should clear it up. makes sense. i mean if your taking shooting practice with no keeper and hit the crossbar and it bounces away, the shot didn't really ever have a chance of going in. where as a drifter from your own zone shot 120ft. straight down the middle could go in if the goalie has a brain fart (cough cough ellis' bad break cough).

PEACE!

Thanks. I am usually looking up stuff on google myself. Makes sense. Great goal yesterday BTW

Edited by miller76

The Beauty of our puck control system...

Phhhttt!! The Beauty of Sammy the "logo-hunter". <_<

I'll take 1 shot to the top corner any day over 6 straight into the goalie's chest.

Sometimes I wonder with some goalies if we shouldn't maybe hold on for a QUALITY scoring chance rather than boost his confidence and drastically reduce ours by pumping 44 shots at him from long range wiithout traffic (*cough, Sammy,cough*) and then we look up at the score-clock and say, "wow, this goalie must be amazing! we're outshooting them by 40 shots and the score is still 1-1".

In some cases a little patience wouldn't hurt our team even though Babcockles mantra is "every shot on net is a good shot".

Lidstrom's bounce-shot aside; some of those goalies must finish games against us and go, "wow, I was amazing tonight, I stopped 50 shots, i'm hot! i'm hot!"

True enough, and to add to that, blocked shots by a non-goalie are not shots on goal, no matter where the player happens to be. So that one time Lilja "played goalie" because the goalie was caught out of position and went down like he was stacking his pads and kept the puck out - not a shot on goal, despite the obvious trajectory of the puck toward the net.

Phhhttt!! The Beauty of Sammy the "logo-hunter". <_<

I'll take 1 shot to the top corner any day over 6 straight into the goalie's chest.

Sometimes I wonder with some goalies if we shouldn't maybe hold on for a QUALITY scoring chance rather than boost his confidence and drastically reduce ours by pumping 44 shots at him from long range wiithout traffic (*cough, Sammy,cough*) and then we look up at the score-clock and say, "wow, this goalie must be amazing! we're outshooting them by 40 shots and the score is still 1-1".

In some cases a little patience wouldn't hurt our team even though Babcockles mantra is "every shot on net is a good shot".

Lidstrom's bounce-shot aside; some of those goalies must finish games against us and go, "wow, I was amazing tonight, I stopped 50 shots, i'm hot! i'm hot!"

I ponder that style of offense as well, but I think back at how many goals I have seen go in from the point from our D or the bad angle side shots. It's just how we do things here, and its working.