• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Jeff Carter Gets 5 million Big Ones..

Rate this topic

I am stating the East values offense more and the West values defense more... as a general rule. You apparently think that is a crazy statement.

Anaheim has more than Philly and Pitts entire budget for defense in 3 players.

Calgary has almost $23 million slotted for defense.

Toronto is the only team in the East that even comes close to this, and they have been trying to shed those contracts for years. Looking at other teams from the East, Philly an Pittsburgh are actually "big spenders" on defense.

The West is currently spending about 20% more on defense than the East.

Not including FAs and RFAs the West has an average defense salary of $14.402 million

The East is at $11.615

Significant?

Not including FAs and RFAs the West has an average defense salary of $14.402 million

The East is at $11.615

Significant?

Well considering the West has the better Dmen overall, yeah it is pretty significant. 3M bucks is the difference between Niedermayer and Whitney.

I am stating the East values offense more and the West values defense more... as a general rule. You apparently think that is a crazy statement.

Anaheim has more than Philly and Pitts entire budget for defense in 3 players.

Calgary has almost $23 million slotted for defense.

Toronto is the only team in the East that even comes close to this, and they have been trying to shed those contracts for years. Looking at other teams from the East, Philly an Pittsburgh are actually "big spenders" on defense.

And coincidentally, theyre much better teams than 2/3rd of the Eastern Conference.

There is NO way to justify this signing.

1. They could have taken him to arbitration. Yes, thats not a good way to form player-team relationships, but neither is threatening your GM with potential offer-sheets.

2. Taking a player to arbitration means you can still sign him to a 2 year deal, if you do in fact get to arbitration. There are many more comparable players making less than 5M - Michalek, Boyes, Blake, Semin, Legwand, Dumont, Guerin, Comrie, Erat, Brown, Cammy, Penner, Sharp, Roy. Players that are making at or above 5M - Richards, Getzlaf, Ribeiro, and Vanek. Now correct me If im wrong, but the comparable players to Carter here are CLEARLY the ones making sub 5M. Just a few months ago Sharp was signed at 3.6, and people called THAT a bad deal. Sharp and Carter are nearly identical players.

3. A GM and a player going to arbitration have UNTIL THE ARBITRATION DATE to agree to a deal, at which point THE PLAYER CANNOT ACCEPT AN OFFER SHEET. Arbitration hearings go up until August 20th, so its very likely that the two sides wouldve had extra time post-July 1st to get a deal done, at which point any desperate GM would be looking to get in on the big name UFAs - Naslund, Hossa, Rolston, Langkow (maybe), Huselius, etc - and other RFAs such as Vermette, Perry, Bouwmeester, etc.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

The East is at $11.615

Significant?

Well what do you really expect? Almost all the elite Defensemen are in the west. The only top D-men i can think of ontop of my head in the east is Andrei markov, Chara, and the flordia B guy. Im sure theres more good ones and tons of roman hamerlik players but when i think top defensmen i think of good old captain nick, Pronger, Nidermayer, and Phanuef. Not Thomas Kaberle, Roman Hamerlick and ryan whitney