• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

paulie

Famous Red Wing Games?

Rate this topic

Let me add a few, even though these are just memorable moments for me, not necessarily complete games.

-- A "throwback jersey" game in Chicago. Roenick charges all the way across the rink, leaves his feet, and smashes Vladdy into the boards knocking out the glass - no penalty! Later Ray Sheppard wins it in OT.

-- Another Chicago game, OT in the playoffs. Vladdy crosses center ice, and dumps the puck in for a line change. The dump gets by Belfour for the game winner.

-- Can't even remember the opponent, but Jeff Odgers (I think) is the one who gets KO'd with one bloody punch by the scholarly tough guy, Stu Grimson.

-- I don't have this on tape (darn it), but when the Wings first unveiled the "Russian 5." I swear those guys could score at will. It was so fascinating, and different from how hockey was being played, that the other team looked like they were just standing there watching.

Guest Shoreline
1996 Western Conference Semis, Game 7 - Stevie with the goal from damn-near center ice in 2OT.

1997 Western Conference Finals, Game 6 - Revenge on Colorado in OT for the year before and D-Mac got the winning goal.

March 26th, 1997 - Lemieux gets his ***** handed back to him, as do the rest of his teammates.

1997 Stanley Cup Finals, Game 4 - Happy Birthday to me, and what a nice present it was. :)

2002 Western Conference Finals, Game 7 - What an ass-pounding that was. Couldn't have happened to a worse group of people. :)

2008 Stanley Cup Finals, Game 6 - Ozzie had my heart damn near leaping out of my throat at the end, but watching Nick skate around with the Cup was well worth it.

Basically this, but to add a few:

For the 2002 Avs/Wings series I'd also add Game 6, as Game 7 wouldn't have been so awesum without Game 6 and Roy's Statue of Asshattery. The best memories in my 15 years of being a hockey/Wings fan pretty much start after the Sharks, Devils, and Avs embarrassments.

Just as good was the 1998 Cup, although not as good being won in DC.

I'll also add the Vancouver series (after the first two games) during the 2002 playoffs, as that's truly when the recent Canucks/Bert hate began for many Wings fans, not to mention the Cheli booing. Captain Junior's magic center ice slapshot was pure beauty and changed things big time. The 2002 playoffs in it's entirety was also a new-found respect for Stevie Y.

Oh, and one of the best in my recollection was when Stevie injured Pissy Pronger.

The epic Kocur and Probert fights, even fighting each other.

Regarding the 1997 cup finals I just remember being scared s***less of the Legion of Doom until I saw them play the Wings. The way so many different Wings (particularly the not-so-big names at the time) put the puck into the net was the true personification of teamwork and team effort.All I can think of off the top of my head.

Just a few off the top of my head here.

Edited by Shoreline