• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Jesper Samuelsson

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20090721/SPOR...0367/1053/rss17

Jesper Samuelsson is learning not to make the same mistakes twice.

Samuelsson, a native of Stockholm, came over from Sweden for the Red Wings' recent development camp looking to pick up new training techniques.

The last pick, 211th overall, in the 2008 NHL entry draft, Samuelsson, 21, hopes to prove he has the skills to one day play for the Wings. Samuelsson will play for Timra in the Swedish Elite League this season. How he performs will go a long way toward determining whether he has a future in Detroit.

"After this year, they have to decide if they want to sign me up or let me go as a free agent," said the 5-foot-11, 170-pound forward. "Of course, I want to make a good impression."

Part of making a better impression in his second development camp with the Wings was ditching the Yankees cap he bought at the airport last year while waiting for his flight to Detroit. "I changed that hat," Samuelsson said with a grin. "I have a Tigers hat."

The prospects went to baseball games at Comerica Park, but Samuelsson said he still prefers watching soccer.

"I have watched on television," Samuelsson said. "It's too slow for me. Not so much action. I probably like soccer better."

Told that some Americans think soccer is slow, Samuelsson said: "I heard that from the cab drivers.

"When it happens (in baseball), it happens fast. Get a hit and a home run, and that's pretty exciting. But otherwise ..."

Samuelsson hopes his play will excite the Wings' brass. He played in 40 games last season for Timra. He had two goals and one assist with the big club and a goal and five assists in 13 games after being sent down to Sundsvall.

"I played about 40 games and then was scratched like 15 games and played on the farm team," Samuelsson said. "I was third or fourth line. I'm going to improve all my skills and take the next step up."

http://hockeytownblog.com/2009/07/13/aroun...y-13th-edition/

The Detroit Red Wings concluded their annual development camp on Sunday, ending a week of on-ice drills and scrimmages as well as off-ice workout sessions. Hockeytown Blog took the time to talk with Swedish forward prospect Jesper Samuelsson on Friday after the on-ice workout session. Here’s what Detroit’s 2008 seventh round pick (211th overall) had to say:

Question: You’ve played for the same team as Jonathan Ericsson (Hasten) and now play for the same team that Henrik Zetterberg did (Timra). What’s it like? Do they talk about those guys very much?

Samuelsson: “Yeah, in Timra they talk about Zetterberg. He’s like a big role model for all of those young guys.â€

Q: Do you feel more pressure because you’re coming from teams that these Red Wings players have come from?

Samuelsson: “No. I’ve seen how much time Jon has put down in the training hall so it helps me in that way to see how much you must train hard all the time and think about what you’re doing.â€

Q: Is it encouraging to know that someone came from Hasten and is now playing in the NHL?

Samuelsson: “It’s good to know that he came from such a small town and played here (Detroit).â€

Q: Is this your first or second year at camp?

Samuelsson: “No, I was here last year.â€

Q: Does it help kind of knowing what to expect?

Samuelsson: “Yeah, it’s not so exciting as it was the first time.â€

Q: What things are you trying to work on this camp?

Samuelsson: “All of the stuff because I haven’t been on the ice like for a month and then I have all new gear and stuff so it’s getting there, much better every day so just work hard.â€

Q: What do you hope to work on this next season?

Samuelsson: “I hope to improve all of the stuff and take a spot on the team so I can play all of the season. Last year, I was scratched a few games and then played with the farm team so next year I hope I play all of the season.â€

Q: Is there something you particularly want to work on like your skating, shooting, or stickwork?

Samuelsson: “Shooting. You can improve all of those stuff in your game and you have to if you want to play in the NHL and want to work hard.â€

Q: What’s it like being in the locker room that Ericsson and Zetterberg and other great Swedish players have been in?

Samuelsson: “It’s huge. Back home, they don’t know how huge it is to come over here to see the locker room with all of those great guys.â€

Q: There are only two Swedes here at the camp. Is that unusual?

Samuelsson: “No, last year there were two – it was me and Danny Larsson who played for Grand Rapids.â€

Q: How has it been hanging out with the guys socially?

Samuelsson: “We went to theater to watch a movie two nights ago. It’s like eating dinner with all of those guys and talk about how it is over here and where they play. It’s good.â€

Q: Is it nice to just get a break from hockey because it’s all day?

Samuelsson: “I love to be here at the rink so it’s not bad.â€