• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

I think it's possible to sign Kovalchuck this off-season

Rate this topic

Why do we want Kovalchuck again? I don't think he'd be worth the cap space. I'd rather spread the money around than bank it all on a guy like that. If we really wanted a guy who scored we should've made the moves it would've taken to keep Hossa for around $5 million long term. He would've been a far better value than what Kovalchuck will end up being. I just don't get this at all. This seems so anti-Red Wings to me. Nothing against Kovalchuck, I just don't see the guy as a Red Wing...

we said that about hossa too and somehow we signed him, but we still have like hank and dats who could be that sniper that we need. hopefully next year they do better than they are right now

I wouldn't say that thinking Z and Dats aren't really the sniper types is flaming. They're top-end offensive guys who can score goals and make plays, but they're also as good as anyone in the league in their own end as well. They're complete players you build teams around.

But...

That's still what kills me about losing Hossa. He had what it takes to be a sniper and could tag-team the role great here with Franzen, and at the same time, he was at least nearly as good as Dats and Z in our end! I still cannot get over losing Hossa who I've always though was one of the top overall players in the game. To think we could have had him for around $5 million......and it was one year we'd really have to get through in terms of the tight cap!

And people wonder why I get so frustrated at Flip's contract which I've hated since the second it was announced. If he was paid what he was worth to the Red Wings (around $2 million) we'd likely have had the space to keep Hossa around.

So here's Elliot's fantasy: Hawks trade Hossa to Thrashers for Kovalchuck, which won't change the nature of their run this year really but it will get Hossa's contract off their backs. Then in the off-season, the Thrashers trade Hossa (who likely would request a trade) to the Wings for Flip, a defenseman and maybe picks.

Losing Flip wouldn't hurt us as we're already strong defensively and Hossa will bring far more scoring as well as solid defense. Flip will thrive in an environment like Atlanta where he can play a bigger role and help shape a defensive-minded game. He's overpaid on this Wings team deep in talent and defensively-minded guys, but he'd be a great value and a real solid addition to a team like Atlanta.

Why I think it's not completely outlandish: the Hawks have to know that the Hossa deal is insane for them given the situation they're in. If they could get out of it and do so without hurting their chances this year, I could definitely see them jumping at the opportunity. Hossa probably wouldn't want to play for the Thrashers as he already left, and the Wings would likely be one of the first teams to line up this off-season to sign him to a deal at $5.2 million per season. Thrashers are in the East so he'd probably be shipped West and the Wings could offer a package that would benefit the Thrashers without the long-run commitment to Hossa. Again, a Flip deal with a young defensemen and a pick or two could probably get it done.

I can dream, right?

:lol: That's about the funniest thing I've ever read. Lidstrom's current offense? Replaceable. Having the hands-down best defensive player in the league logging 30 mins a night? Not replaceable. Lids is still the best shut-down guy out there and has a frigging +18 on the 2nd lowest scoring team in the West and the current 8th seed. Christ. His offense has seriously dipped but his defense hasn't. If you honestly think that defense is replaceable I just don't know what to say other than ask around and watch other teams play hockey.

I don't mean to be rude but damn man. Come on. You're acting like Lidstrom's current play is mediocre and ignoring the fact that he's still the defensive anchor of this entire team. Take the greatest pure-defensive talent in the history of the game off a team and act like you can shove another cheap part in his place... wow.

Oh, and today's team isn't exactly barking up the Stanley Cup tree. Before you think about shifting around the defense/offense spread look at Wings teams that won cups recently, not the team that's in 8th place.

The Wings teams that won cups lately? The 08 team was STACKED, as was the 2002 team. This team needs help scoring goals, we have enough checking line players and a solid enough defensive core to win games. Replacing Lidstrom with Kovalchuk would be more effective than overpaying for whichever defenseman becomes available whenever Lidstrom retires.

We're already paying Rafalski #1 money, no reason to spend $8 million on a defensive defenseman.

The Wings teams that won cups lately? The 08 team was STACKED, as was the 2002 team. This team needs help scoring goals, we have enough checking line players and a solid enough defensive core to win games. Replacing Lidstrom with Kovalchuk would be more effective than overpaying for whichever defenseman becomes available whenever Lidstrom retires.

We're already paying Rafalski #1 money, no reason to spend $8 million on a defensive defenseman.

Stacked is right-- they were stacked defensively: both in terms of d-men and defensively capable forwards.

Stacked is right-- they were stacked defensively: both in terms of d-men and defensively capable forwards.

Jiri Hudler was playing on the third line..

Franzen was scoring goals in bunches as was Zetterberg. Remove Lidstrom from that team and they're a contender. This alleged talent gap that Lidstrom retiring leaves cannot be proven. People were saying the same thing about Yzerman and Fedorov.

In the cap world, Lidstrom is replaceable. If he were playing at an insanely discounted price, you may have a point but being one of the top paid players in the league and highest on this team dictates some sort of responsibility for its PRESENT performance.

The past has nothing to do with it.

Of course, im sure Nick will think about "Raising his kids in Sweden" when new contract talks start...

IF Kovy had a signed, long term deal, and IF he wanted to come here, and IF we could afford him....I might trade Z for him. I think Z is at his peak right now, if not peaked already. (Red Wing glasses are off!)

The latest rumours I have heard have him looking for a 12-year, 120 Million dollar deal. That would have to be a heck of a "Hockeytown Discount" to get him in the Wings lineup.

IF Kovy had a signed, long term deal, and IF he wanted to come here, and IF we could afford him....I might trade Z for him. I think Z is at his peak right now, if not peaked already. (Red Wing glasses are off!)

The latest rumours I have heard have him looking for a 12-year, 120 Million dollar deal. That would have to be a heck of a "Hockeytown Discount" to get him in the Wings lineup.

Keyword being "rumor". I actually wouldn't have a problem paying Kovalchuk $9 million a season but only if Franzen was moved.

Kovalchuk at or around Lidstrom money is affordable and do-able if you move Filppula and Lidstrom and Holmstrom retire.

i think best thing for the wings would be for kovy to go to a team like chicago where he would 100% be a rental... that way we can sign him to a long term deal in the off season. you know he wants to go to a winning team and i'm sure he'd love to receive passes from pavel all day every day.... maybe 8 year 64 million dollar deal? re-sign lids for 3 mil ish and things are lookin good for next year imo

People are saying weird things in this thread. We won't know about this until after the season. What happens this offseason depends on Lidstrom. He's already stated that he won't make up his mind regarding an extension until the season is over. So we won't make any big moves until then. We will be pretty quiet at the trade deadline...

Guest Lidstromboli

dats would probably be on the 2nd or 3rd line. wouldn't be surprised if Russia used him as a shutdown center