No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jollymania

CLutterbuck Destroys Richards

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

I don't understand this thread.

If someone lays out one of our top players with a clean hit, I'd want someone to retaliate immediately, when their temper is hot and when the opportunity best presents itself. You don't know if they'll get a chance to do it later in the game.

As long as fighting is allowed, what's to stop players from picking when to fight?

The league isn't going to hand out a rule saying you can't fight after a clean hit, but can fight after a dirty one.

I wasn't attempting to pin that argument on you (though I can understand in hindsight why it might have come off that way, what with me responding to you and all).

Fighting is, I think, the most interesting part of the game to discuss, and a large part of what makes hockey different than the other North American professional team sports.

Ah gotcha. My mistake I thought you meant that as a response to me. I would actually agree with you, at least partially, while I don't think it is the most interesting I will be extremely pissed if they ever take fighting out of the game. One of the best things about hockey is that where other North American pro sports have athletes sitting out with turf toe and other such injuries hockey players seem to be of a different breed and I think that playing in a game where there is fighting is a large part of the reason why. Additionally, I think it helps keep egos and attitudes in check. I can't hardly stand the NBA because after every play some guy is strutting around, pulling on his jersey, and acting cocky and condescending. If that guy knew he would likely get punched in the face for such actions I think there would be a lot less of it. I think that is one of the main reason you see so many hockey players who are more grounded and down to earth.

Great hit.

But another fight afterwards. There needs to be a new rule implamented to put an end to that.

What rule?

You can't fight after a clean check but can when it's a dirty hit? As if the NHL doesn't have enough ridiculous rules implemented already.

I suspect that even you understood that I was not making a "comparison" between the gravity of a big clean hockey hit and drunk driving, but merely using drunk driving to illustrate that punnishing wreckless acts even when they happen to not result in injurry is not without precedent.

Watching someone blow up your teamates with big,legal hits and doing nothing about it untill one of your teammates gets injured is not being a good teammate. good teammates do what they can to prevent that injury. sometimes they'll be able to, sometimes they won't, but they do what they can.

If I see a teammate get hit, I get his number and make the rest of his game hell. Clean or not.

f*** the minute long fight. I'll ruin him for the rest of the game. If it is towards the end of the game I'll just run the f***** during that shift.

And your drunk driving analogy is horrible because drunk driving is ILLEGAL while hitting is not. Hitting is not always reckless and people don't die from body checks. Police officers arrest people driving under the influence because it more often than not is going to end the life of an INNOCENT human being. The people getting hit are nowhere near innocent in the sport of hockey.

There are multiple reasons.

If I see a teammate get hit, I get his number and make the rest of his game hell. Clean or not.

f*** the minute long fight. I'll ruin him for the rest of the game. If it is towards the end of the game I'll just run the f***** during that shift.

Fine. I don't see why you couldn't fight him too, but whatever works for you.

I don't get why you'd run the poor guy at all though, afterall, like you said yesterday "If you aren't the guy getting hit then respect it for what it is and have your players fight their own battles." Not your problem, right?

And your drunk driving analogy is horrible because drunk driving is ILLEGAL while hitting is not. Hitting is not always reckless and people don't die from body checks. Police officers arrest people driving under the influence because it more often than not is going to end the life of an INNOCENT human being. The people getting hit are nowhere near innocent in the sport of hockey.

I was speaking to the fact that drunk driving is a reckless act that is potentially (but not always) harmful to others - that is WHY it was made illegal in the first place. Drunk driving isn't deserving of punnishment solely because it is illegal - it is deserving of punnsihment because it unnecesarily endangers others. Drunk driving didn't just become wrong or reckless when it was made illegal.

The two acts are not the same, nor are the reactions to the acts the same - but the idea that reckless acts deserve punnishment even when nobody is injured is common to drunk driving and huge hits on unsuspecting opponents.

Fine. I don't see why you couldn't fight him too, but whatever works for you.

I don't get why you'd run the poor guy at all though, afterall, like you said yesterday "If you aren't the guy getting hit then respect it for what it is and have your players fight their own battles." Not your problem, right?

Keyword:fight

Also I'm not going to waste 5 minutes in the box when I can hit him shift after shift. Especially for something I consider less "threatening".

And whether he fights with the guy or not is irrelevant. Whenever someone makes a big hit I get their number and hit them back. That is how the sport of hockey works. One stupid fight is not going to magically make things better.

I was speaking to the fact that drunk driving is a reckless act that is potentially (but not always) harmful to others - that is WHY it was made illegal in the first place. Drunk driving isn't deserving of punnishment solely because it is illegal - it is deserving of punnsihment because it unnecesarily endangers others. Drunk driving didn't just become wrong or reckless when it was made illegal.

The two acts are not the same, nor are the reactions to the acts the same - but the idea that reckless acts deserve punnishment even when nobody is injured is common to drunk driving and huge hits on unsuspecting opponents.

Hitting doesn't unnecessarily endager others, and normally when the injury happens it is not at fault of the hitter. That's how it works.

They are not related. Just because they occasionaly have a bad result doesn't mean you can compare them. They are not related other than that one point. And once again the person with the puck is supposed to get hit in hockey. That is the game of hockey. A driver is not supposed to get hit by a drunk driver on the road.