Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Am I the only one that respects Gary Bettman?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

No matter how you spin it - losing an entire season is an abysmal failure and has never happened in NHL history.

Well if we're going to say things that have nothing to do with Bettman, then I'm mad at Bettman for allowing the Big 3 to happen in Miami.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#62 Joseph Franks

Joseph Franks

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

Is he the best guy for the job? I don't know.

Has he done well from a business standpoint? Yes.

Has he helped bring popularity to the league? Yes.

Has he helped balance the teams in the league? Yes.

Has he ever been a fan favorite? No.

His individual actions always raise some eyebrows, but considering how far the NHL has come in 18 years, his long term plan seems to be working.

Strange that Detroit has made the playoffs every single year that Bettman has been in charge :-p

Edited by Joseph Franks, 07 October 2010 - 10:57 AM.

#63 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Well if we're going to say things that have nothing to do with Bettman, then I'm mad at Bettman for allowing the Big 3 to happen in Miami.

Oh really? Bettman has pandered to his low-revenue producing, money-losing expansion clubs. Of his 8 new teams, only Minnesota and Colorado have been a success. That's a 25% success rate. He had no problem allowing owners to move from traditional canadian markets into the USA, but is fighting tooth and nail to keep a team in Phoenix. It is largely because so many of these markets were failing that a hard salary cap was needed. His failed negotiation with ABC (owners of ESPN) in 2004 also directly led to the lockout. Of all the major sports, he delivered by far the worse contract imaginable --- the only league to get absolutely ZERO guaranteed advertising revenues from advertisements. Advertisemant revenue sharing is what keeps lesser teams afloat in other leagues. And it's not like this blind-sided him and there was nothing he could do about it. BS. Bettman had held the reigns for 12 years prior to the lockout (he allowed it to become a league ESPN did not even care about airing). Hockey when he took over what as it's zenith in the mid-90s -- yet he allowed it to drag down into the muck of the deadpuck era without ever competently addressing it... until the lockout. Did hockey realy need a full year off in order to mandate refs call the game properly?

Bettman was also named one Business Week magazine's 5 worst executives in 2005.

His job is to report to the owners, but does that job have to come hand-in-hand with completely alienating the NHL fan base, IE. the customers?
I do not believe it has to.

Yes, revenues have gone up since he took over in 1993, but a more competent commissioner could have done much better and without making the NHL the only major sports league to lose an entire season (and another half season on top of it).
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#64 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

2) On the League opening in Europe:

"We're still at the stage where we take volunteers,"

Sending Carolina to play Minnesota overseas is just brilliance.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#65 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Sending Carolina to play Minnesota overseas is just brilliance.

I find it ironic that some people say this in regards to Europe but get all butthurt when they choose to have the most popular teams play in the Winter Classic.

Posted Image

#66 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

I find it ironic that some people say this in regards to Europe but get all butthurt when they choose to have the most popular teams play in the Winter Classic.

lol. Different things, but keep trolling.

I also have never stated that I have a problem with popular teams in the winter classic. I have a problem with repeating teams in the winter classic when other popular teams have not been represented as of yet.

#67 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

Since his first full season in power: six expansion teams, four relocation teams, accounting for one-third of all the teams currently in the League.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#68 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

lol. Different things, but keep trolling.

I also have never stated that I have a problem with popular teams in the winter classic. I have a problem with repeating teams in the winter classic when other popular teams have not been represented as of yet.

Like who?

Pittsburgh and Washington is going to bring the most bacon. It hasn't happened yet, so I don't see the problem.

Also, I'm not sure troll means what you think it means.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 07 October 2010 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#69 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

Bettman actually had a funny line while sitting in with the VS crew. He said that while he walked out on the ice with Mario Lemieux for the pregame inaugural ceremony at Pittsburgh's arena he asked Mario "why are they booing you?". It seems he may have a sense of humor after all.

works every time

#70 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Bettman actually had a funny line while sitting in with the VS crew. He said that while he walked out on the ice with Mario Lemieux for the pregame inaugural ceremony at Pittsburgh's arena he asked Mario "why are they booing you?". It seems he may have a sense of humor after all.

Either that or he's completely detached from reality and couldn't comprehend why he would be booed, which meant that it would have to be Baby Mario getting booed. Which is just as likely, sadly.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#71 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Like who?

Pittsburgh and Washington is going to bring the most bacon. It hasn't happened yet, so I don't see the problem.

There's a thread about that already.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 08 October 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#72 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Oh really?

yes really. The lockout happened because owners wanted a cap and the players did not. That had NOTHING to do with Bettman. It wasn't until the inflator rule was finally agreed to by the owners that the CBA finally took shape. Bettman every year has activated that inflator btw.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#73 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

yes really. The lockout happened because owners wanted a cap and the players did not. That had NOTHING to do with Bettman. It wasn't until the inflator rule was finally agreed to by the owners that the CBA finally took shape. Bettman every year has activated that inflator btw.

Sure. The commissioner is powerless and had nothing to do with the state the NHL was in for the 12 years leading up to the lockout. 2005 does not exist in a bubble where all of a sudden the owners decided "Hey! A cap would be great!". If you take a moment to explore just what led to that state of the NHL you will find a commissioner who was very culpable and a situation which could have been avoided. Otherwise, we would see a lot more lost seasons in pro sports in the past 100 years. Or perhaps this was just the first time owners and players disagreed?
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#74 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

To answer your question Nightfall, no.

Edited by auxlepli, 08 October 2010 - 07:48 PM.

#75 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Sure. The commissioner is powerless and had nothing to do with the state the NHL was in for the 12 years leading up to the lockout. 2005 does not exist in a bubble where all of a sudden the owners decided "Hey! A cap would be great!". If you take a moment to explore just what led to that state of the NHL you will find a commissioner who was very culpable and a situation which could have been avoided. Otherwise, we would see a lot more lost seasons in pro sports in the past 100 years. Or perhaps this was just the first time owners and players disagreed?

1994-95. Bettman tried to lock in some form of "cost certainty" due to the rising salaries, but there was a degree of infighting between the owners as to what kind of control and how it should be implemented, which resulted in a lost half of a season for virtually nothing the owners wanted. In 2004-05, the owners saw more of what Bettman had seen coming, and were far more united and successful.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#76 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

How about you demonstrate that instead of making claims.

Posted Image