• Please log in to reply
601 replies to this topic

#581 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

I am unsure if any goaltender in the league can stop some of the shots the defense are giving up

this season reminds me of the 08-09 season where the wings would try to outscore the opponent instead of playing solid defense. i guess its not that bad since the wings made it to the finals

Edited by brett, 05 January 2011 - 01:35 AM.

#582 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

Osgood plays, Red Wings win... Osgood should be the starter, Babcock.

#583 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

Osgood plays, Red Wings win... Osgood should be the starter, Babcock.

Howard has a better win% in games he's started and a better sv%.

That said, I think it'll be more of a split until Jimmy gets back to dominating as he has been.

#584 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

Goaltenders aside, this team still needed 4 goals to win against the worst team in the West. That is unacceptable and an insurmountable task to achieve every game. It is easy to blame the goalie, which is why we see so many threads ragging on both Howard and Osgood, but neither one of them is really the problem at this point.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#585 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

Goaltenders aside, this team still needed 4 goals to win against the worst team in the West. That is unacceptable and an insurmountable task to achieve every game. It is easy to blame the goalie, which is why we see so many threads ragging on both Howard and Osgood, but neither one of them is really the ENTIRE problem at this point.

Agreed, but FTFY.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#586 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

Agreed. One sloppy goal, but otherwise he was great. I'd say he should get the next start but I doubt we'll be that lucky. He's just making the saves when they need to be made.

Like the middle of the third to tie the game? It's a nice sentiment, but that wasn't entirely the case. I'm not trying to hate on him, but that goal was on him exactly when they needed saves to be made.

works every time

#587 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

Can't wait until February begins. Which is when Pav and Bear are supposed to return.

#588 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:51 AM

What a game by Helm:

1g 1a 7 shots 12/14 (86%) in faceoffs.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#589 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

If I wasn't on my mobile phone I would give you a plus

done.

That's what she said.

haha, imagine if she really did say that.

that would be awkward.
Posted Image

#590 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

Helm's had a number of good scoresheet games lately, as well as the good hustle that led to the penalty in Ozzie's 400th. Seems like the hands are finally starting to catch up to the legs that have impressed since 2008.

#591 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

I really didn't like osgoods 3rd goal, and of course the mandatory 3 goals against in every game, bertuzzi got a lucky bounce for the go ahead goal and osgood could sigh a huge relief... .880 sv% weeeeiii

Best on the ice was darren helm easily, wheels!!!

Tatar made som great plays but also som rookie mistakes to go along with it, thought eaves would play but obviously he didn't

Too bad Mursak couldn't finish on his break away.

Btw why don't they change up the defense pairs?

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Ericsson-Stuart
Rafalski-Salei

?

Edited by mindfly, 05 January 2011 - 10:01 AM.

#592 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

Helm and Draper in the same game.

:scared:

I know, that's messed up.

#593 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

W

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#594 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Goaltenders aside, this team still needed 4 goals to win against the worst team in the West. That is unacceptable and an insurmountable task to achieve every game. It is easy to blame the goalie, which is why we see so many threads ragging on both Howard and Osgood, but neither one of them is really the problem at this point.

Didn't watch the game? The 3rd (tying) was a bad goal by Ozzie. If he stops that, the Wings win 5-2
Do or do not. There is no try

#595 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

I really didn't like osgoods 3rd goal, and of course the mandatory 3 goals against in every game, bertuzzi got a lucky bounce for the go ahead goal and osgood could sigh a huge relief... .880 sv% weeeeiii

Best on the ice was darren helm easily, wheels!!!

Tatar made som great plays but also som rookie mistakes to go along with it, thought eaves would play but obviously he didn't

Too bad Mursak couldn't finish on his break away.

Btw why don't they change up the defense pairs?

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Ericsson-Stuart
Rafalski-Salei

?

The lucky bounce goal didn't matter because Helm scored a solid goal right after. The Wings average 2.80 GAA which I think is less than 3. Yesterday you said that Khabibulin was the better goalie but he gave up 5 goals.
Do or do not. There is no try

#596 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

The lucky bounce goal didn't matter because Helm scored a solid goal right after. The Wings average 2.80 GAA which I think is less than 3. Yesterday you said that Khabibulin was the better goalie but he gave up 5 goals.

And he still made more quality saves than osgood, and oilers, the worst team in the west didn't have ryan whitney in the lineup, whom also is their top scorer (wow), the only defenseman on their team with a solid +/- at +13 compared to lidstrom's +2 for example... 2goals 25 assists on the oilers pretty darn impressive.

Edited by mindfly, 05 January 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#597 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

I am unsure if any goaltender in the league can stop some of the shots the defense are giving up

this season reminds me of the 08-09 season where the wings would try to outscore the opponent instead of playing solid defense. i guess its not that bad since the wings made it to the finals

Don't have the time to thumb through because I am sure it was already brought up but...

I think we should invoke a rule that if you state a player sucks and then goes on to net 2 goals and consequently the GWG you should be allowed to take John Keating's job for the next game. No.....really. Please.

HAHA... people finding a way to complain about wins. I know I know. I do forget where I am reading sometimes. But to see Draper and Helm have a real strong showing last night is a huuuuuge + in my book. Helm HAD to get a goal at some point with the performance last night. Win's a win sheesh.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#598 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Yes, but the Wings are missing 1/6 of their team in terms of salary. And really, a win is a win. Edmonton has some good players, and they can play well.

#599 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Wouldn't call it a lucky bounce either because Flip was over there with a wide open net and it was going right to him.

#600 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Didn't watch the game? The 3rd (tying) was a bad goal by Ozzie. If he stops that, the Wings win 5-2

But he didn't stop it and the Wings again needed 4 goals to win.

Yes, but the Wings are missing 1/6 of their team in terms of salary. And really, a win is a win. Edmonton has some good players, and they can play well.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy. I brought this up yesterday and it didn't matter much.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)