• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

So the blame is entirely on the player, but not on the coaching staff or the GM who signed him?

I don't blame Leino for not performing well when he played with the Wings, perhaps his style didn't/couldn't mesh with this team or the role he was asked to play or whatever. What I do blame him for is playing lazy and as if he didn't care. If he had worked his butt off and not produced, been traded, and then become a great player I would be happy for him -- it is his lack of effort not his lack of production that creates the problem for me.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#42 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

I don't blame Leino for not performing well when he played with the Wings, perhaps his style didn't/couldn't mesh with this team or the role he was asked to play or whatever. What I do blame him for is playing lazy and as if he didn't care. If he had worked his butt off and not produced, been traded, and then become a great player I would be happy for him -- it is his lack of effort not his lack of production that creates the problem for me.

It wasn't so much lack of effort as it was lack of 'defensive' effort. Leino was here to score, that's all he wanted to do. I guess it's hard to teach a 26 year old offensive dynamo to buy into the defense first mentality. Also, it's not like Leino is gritty, or added anything new to this team.

#43 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

It wasn't so much lack of effort as it was lack of 'defensive' effort. Leino was here to score, that's all he wanted to do. I guess it's hard to teach a 26 year old offensive dynamo to buy into the defense first mentality. Also, it's not like Leino is gritty, or added anything new to this team.

I thought there was extreme lack of effort on both ends of the ice. It was more visible and evident on the defensive side but most of the time on the offensive end I only saw the effort if there was a clear scoring chance, there was no great effort to actually create that chance from nothing.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#44 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, well maybe after winning SM-liiga MVP and choosing to go through AHL with low salary instead of KHL with big money just to earn a roster spot in the NHL - which he did - he just magically stopped working hard then and didn't give any effort. Weird theory, but maybe that's what really happened. He could still earn a lot more in KHL, if that's what it was all about.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 18 March 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#45 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, well maybe after winning SM-liiga MVP and choosing to go through AHL with low salary instead of KHL with big money just to earn a roster spot in the NHL - which he did - he just magically stopped working hard then and didn't give any effort.

Maybe SM-liiga and the AHL are easier leagues to score in? Maybe, magically, his effort didn't change, but the effort required for a similar turnout did. And when he saw diminished returns, he got all mopey. Or tried to hard to score, ignoring the other half of the game. There's plenty of theories for what happened with him. Yours has a relatively low probability.
*this space for rent*

#46 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Maybe SM-liiga and the AHL are easier leagues to score in? Maybe, magically, his effort didn't change, but the effort required for a similar turnout did. And when he saw diminished returns, he got all mopey. Or tried to hard to score, ignoring the other half of the game. There's plenty of theories for what happened with him. Yours has a relatively low probability.

I didn't know I had a theory. Because I never really wasn't on the "Leino is lazy and sucks!" wagon.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 18 March 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#47 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, well maybe after winning SM-liiga MVP and choosing to go through AHL with low salary instead of KHL with big money just to earn a roster spot in the NHL - which he did - he just magically stopped working hard then and didn't give any effort. Weird theory, but maybe that's what really happened. He could still earn a lot more in KHL, if that's what it was all about.

I didn't know I had a theory.

There ya go. I would have written it off as bitter, yet misplaced, sarcasm, but I figured the addition of magic to it indicated some sort of spiritualistic theory.
*this space for rent*

#48 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

I didn't know I had a theory. Because I never really wasn't on the "Leino is lazy and sucks!" wagon.

The fact that he was traded despite such a low salary and good potential is proof positive that management considered him lazy. You may have noticed that players do not get traded from this team unless they are lazy, classless or in possession of a bad attitude.

#49 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Oh, that Leino guy is still playing in the NHL? Good for him! :thumbup:

#50 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

Which leads again to regardless of how much you try to defend him, he still stunk it up with the Wings and you are not going to change that fact nor people's thoughts about that in here. It is a wasted effort. Nobody should have any problems with you liking Ville Leino. I don't have a problem with anybody liking any specific athlete even if it is a villain or public enemy #1 athlete in here, that's your choice and nobody will change that. What is absolutely beyond aggravating is constantly stroking your favorite player's ego or making constant excuses for him for why things might be wrong and not accepting that maybe your favorite person is at fault and is not perfect (and you are definitely not the only one in here like this with certain players). Why? Because we already know where you stand before you even type, and it is completely different from where everybody else in here stands, so it's not worth the time and effort.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 20 March 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#51 fivetenandagame

fivetenandagame

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

Congrats to Laviolette and his pro-Leino system. I'll take Babcock's pro-Cup winning system. Thanks.

Is everybody this touch all the time around here?

Sheesh, people take this way too personally. I love the Wings too. But i'm not affiliated with them. They don't sign my paychecks and nobody in my family is named Illitch so I find it amusing when people seem to react like someone has absolutely wronged them.

Leino didn't work here. Dan Cleary didn't work all the places he was it. It happens.

We love Cleary because it worked for us. We hate Leino because he's found success and it isn't with us. Don't get all butt hurt over it. Not you personally, just generally speaking here.

#52 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Sheesh, people take this way too personally. I love the Wings too. But i'm not affiliated with them. They don't sign my paychecks and nobody in my family is named Illitch so I find it amusing when people seem to react like someone has absolutely wronged them.

Leino didn't work here. Dan Cleary didn't work all the places he was it. It happens.

We love Cleary because it worked for us. We hate Leino because he's found success and it isn't with us. Don't get all butt hurt over it. Not you personally, just generally speaking here.

The best post in the entire thread. I think we can call it a /thread now.

#53 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

The best post in the entire thread. I think we can call it a /thread now.

Uh, not really. Fans in here have every right to be bitter at Leino. He barely did anything here and is now all of a sudden doing well in Philadelphia. I'm happy for him and am one to rarely hold grudges or be angry at people for long, and I'm not mad or bitter at Leino at all. But to expect the die-hard fan masses in here to just be ho-hum happy for him is very naive when many got strong impressions he didn't work hard enough as somebody else effectively pointed out a few posts above. People want effort and to show that they care. That may not be fair or right but that is just the way it is for a lot of fans, and not just Red Wings fans, all sports fans in general across all leagues as well.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 21 March 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#54 fivetenandagame

fivetenandagame

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

Uh, not really. Fans in here have every right to be bitter at Leino. He barely did anything here and is now all of a sudden doing well in Philadelphia. I'm happy for him and am one to rarely hold grudges or be angry at people for long, and I'm not mad or bitter at Leino at all. But to expect the die-hard fan masses in here to just be ho-hum happy for him is very naive when many got strong impressions he didn't work hard enough as somebody else effectively pointed out a few posts above. People want effort and to show that they care. That may not be fair or right but that is just the way it is for a lot of fans, and not just Red Wings fans, all sports fans in general across all leagues as well.

I can understand Wings fans being disappointed that maybe he didn't bring the work ethic we're accustomed to.

What I don't get is the bitterness.

In truth, I can't say i'm happy for the guy or angry at the guy. I have absolutely no care in the world for him. He's in the East, playing for a team I could care less about and he's not doing anything spectacular. Sure, he's become a pretty solid offensive forward. But that's a very offensive team. He's not going to put those numbers up in Ottawa nor is he the next Stamkos. I might as well be bitter about the career Mike Knuble has had. Slava Kozlov had a nice, productive career after Detroit too. Different circumstances but whatever. A player moves on and that's that. I personally don't give them too much thought. I'm too busy thinking about my own team to care enough to be bitter about former players.

Edited by fivetenandagame, 21 March 2011 - 08:44 AM.

#55 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

I wish that could be the case for pretty much everybody. I'm not one that likes to let my emotions roll on my sleeve for long lengths of time, especially when it comes to sports, but a lot of fans of their teams are dedicated, especially in atmospheres like this in sports forums where most people can watch the majority of games and the like. They want their teams to win and their emotions often ride with their favorite team doing well or bad, but I think deep down as long as their teams and players are working hard and giving an honest effort even in a loss, they'll take it or at least understand. Numbers in the grand scheme of things like you are trying to outline aren't as important as long as players just give the effort.

I'm not saying it's completely right or always fair, but that's how dedicated sports fans work in pretty much any city, any team, and any league, and it isn't changing anytime soon. I don't always like it either or this attitude but I understand these types of people and accept how they function. I'm happy for Leino and glad he's doing well in a better situation for himself. Whether Leino actually did give it his all or not, a lot of people think he didn't in here though, and that's not going to go off well with them.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 21 March 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#56 fivetenandagame

fivetenandagame

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

I wish that could be the case for pretty much everybody. I'm not one that likes to let my emotions roll on my sleeve for long lengths of time, especially when it comes to sports, but a lot of fans of their teams are dedicated, especially in atmospheres like this in sports forums where most people can watch the majority of games and the like. They want their teams to win and their emotions often ride with their favorite team doing well or bad, but I think deep down as long as their teams and players are working hard and giving an honest effort even in a loss, they'll take it or at least understand. Numbers in the grand scheme of things like you are trying to outline aren't as important as long as players just give the effort.

I'm not saying it's completely right or always fair, but that's how dedicated sports fans work in pretty much any city, any team, and any league, and it isn't changing anytime soon. I don't always like it either or this attitude but I understand these types of people and accept how they function. I'm happy for Leino and glad he's doing well in a better situation for himself. Whether Leino actually did give it his all or not, a lot of people think he didn't in here though, and that's not going to go off well with them.

Yeah, I have to work on understanding this about some people. Especially on a message board. I guess because I look at it as a waste of time and emotional energy. I guess that's my own egocentricity kicking in.

As for not giving it your all in Detroit potentially leading to harsh feelings. No doubt. Just look at Fedorov.

#57 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

"Leino didn't work here. Dan Cleary didn't work all the places he was it. It happens. "

#58 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

"Leino didn't work here. Dan Cleary didn't work all the places he was it. It happens. "

Not that hard to figure out what you quoted out. Pretty much everybody gets that.

Re-read what I and Frozen-Man emphasize about effort, let it sink in and hopefully you'll figure out what we are emphasizing too. You aren't going to be able to justify and give excuses for Leino struggling in Detroit on here, no matter how big a fan you are of him and how much you try to scream and shout about it on here.