52 replies to this topic

#41 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Ericsson's playstyle:

I agree. Wings game have been much more relaxing for me since he's been out. He's decent on the PK, but otherwise he seems to make mistakes about 50% of the time, especially when he's under pressure and needs to act quickly.

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

I agree. Wings game have been much more relaxing for me since he's been out. He's decent on the PK, but otherwise he seems to make mistakes about 50% of the time, especially when he's under pressure and needs to act quickly.

Do you really think he'd have a regular spot in the lineup if every other play he was making a mistake? He doesn't make mistakes anywhere near that percentage of the time because if he did he'd be out of the NHL.

So the pretty clear answer is it has something to do with your perception of things, not Ericsson's actual play. But then I guess we all baselessly bash players sometimes.

#43 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Our defense does look better without him. Now if we could only dump his salary....
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Our defense does look better without him. Now if we could only dump his salary....

So the defense looks better overall without Lidstrom and Ericsson in the lineup? Because both have been out the same games.

you'd think the defense would be better with Lidstrom in the lineup. Weird.

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Any chance that the reason you think the defense looks better is not necessarily that Ericsson is out, but rather that Quincey and Smith are in? Quincey and Smith is a better pair than Ericsson and Kindl, or Ericsson and Commodore. Not because there's a problem with Ericsson, Kindl, or Commodore, but that Quincey is just better than all of them?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Smith has played well enough to be a top 4 defense man and I feel he should be left in the line up now with that said he is the only one that can be sent down I think. I think he is going to be a very good NHL player very soon
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#47 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Smith will be sent down when the D is healthy.

Edit:

Why am I getting negged? I didn't say he should be sent down, I said he will be sent down because that's how Holland operates.

Edited by Heaten, 11 March 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Edit:

Why am I getting negged? I didn't say he should be sent down, I said he will be sent down because that's how Holland operates.

You get negged because people negg for no reason, then they hide...anyway fortunately there is no roster limit now so Smith can stay even when all are healthy, let's just hope he stays in the lineup. He is better than Ericsson or Kindl (come on E and Kindl slappies, start negging) so he should remain in the lineup throughout the season and playoffs...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Any chance that the reason you think the defense looks better is not necessarily that Ericsson is out, but rather that Quincey and Smith are in? Quincey and Smith is a better pair than Ericsson and Kindl, or Ericsson and Commodore. Not because there's a problem with Ericsson, Kindl, or Commodore, but that Quincey is just better than all of them?

This is my fear for next season. I fear that re-signing Quincey and adding Smith to the lineup will make Holland not want to persue Suter. Even if Stuart leaves. If Lidstrom retires, maybe he may throw an offer out there, but it will be probably be an offer that is lower than Pav's cap hit. Which means Suter will most likely not come here. I know the D is playing ok, but if they lose both Lids and Stuart and miss out on Suter....yikes. But, hey, maybe it won't be so bad. I hear they are really pursuing Dekeyser from WMU and considering his play in the NCAA tournament so far, he will get some serious offers. Plus looking at the Wings d-men in GRR, Dekeyser isn't that far fetched to possibly earning a 6th spot on this roster. You never know what Holland may do...I would hope he would go hard for someone if Lids and Stuart leave, but you just never know...

Kronwall - White
Quincey - Ericsson
Smith - Dekeyser
Kindl

Don't know how that would work, but I can think of a lot worse defense's in the league....

All that being said, I cannot describe how much I hope Holland goes after Suter...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#50 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

This is my fear for next season. I fear that re-signing Quincey and adding Smith to the lineup will make Holland not want to persue Suter. Even if Stuart leaves. If Lidstrom retires, maybe he may throw an offer out there, but it will be probably be an offer that is lower than Pav's cap hit. Which means Suter will most likely not come here. I know the D is playing ok, but if they lose both Lids and Stuart and miss out on Suter....yikes. But, hey, maybe it won't be so bad. I hear they are really pursuing Dekeyser from WMU and considering his play in the NCAA tournament so far, he will get some serious offers. Plus looking at the Wings d-men in GRR, Dekeyser isn't that far fetched to possibly earning a 6th spot on this roster. You never know what Holland may do...I would hope he would go hard for someone if Lids and Stuart leave, but you just never know...

Kronwall - White
Quincey - Ericsson
Smith - Dekeyser
Kindl

Don't know how that would work, but I can think of a lot worse defense's in the league....

All that being said, I cannot describe how much I hope Holland goes after Suter...

Who knows? I don't ever have a clue what's in Holland's head so I'd hate to even speculate on what he's thinking. Suter is a good defenseman, but I don't think he's as good as the money that will get thrown at him, so personally I'd rather not see Holland chase him up in the 7-8 million dollar range. All I know is that I'm happy with the defense we have for the remainder of the season, and that's with any one of Smith, Kindl, and Ericsson as the 6th guy. I also think our powerplay and pk will start shaping up once everybody gets healthy. Finally, I have been more than happy with the way several guys have been stepping up and playing better in the absence of our key guys. If we can keep that up I'm pretty pumped about this team moving forward.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#51 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Edit:

I think you are probably correct like I said its not his play but because he can be sent down with out the worry about loosing him. But will be up full time next year. I really am impressed in his play he is a keeper for sure

Edit:

I think you are probably correct like I said its not his play but because he can be sent down with out the worry about loosing him. But will be up full time next year. I really am impressed in his play he is a keeper for sure
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#52 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

You get negged because people negg for no reason, then they hide...anyway fortunately there is no roster limit now so Smith can stay even when all are healthy, let's just hope he stays in the lineup. He is better than Ericsson or Kindl (come on E and Kindl slappies, start negging) so he should remain in the lineup throughout the season and playoffs...

Smith needs to be playing in the top 4. I think once the D is healthy, he'll be sent down to get playing time. I like Ericsson better on the bottom pairing. Ericsson gets a lot of unjustified heat on the forums, but he is pretty damn good defensively. He's Perfect #5 guy. Smith is too good to be #5.

#53 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Does anyone else think smith looks bigger than 6'1" 199lbs? On more than one occasion, I've mistaken him for Quincey.

Is the red wings website wrong or does he just play really big

Smith needs to be playing in the top 4. I think once the D is healthy, he'll be sent down to get playing time. I like Ericsson better on the bottom pairing. Ericsson gets a lot of unjustified heat on the forums, but he is pretty damn good defensively. He's Perfect #5 guy. Smith is too good to be #5.

And isn't he the only 2 way contract on D? They obviously won't risk waiving anyone. I like that they have 8 NHL ready defenseman in case of injury

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users