27 replies to this topic

#21 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Well, that sucks donkey balls.

I feel bad for the kids, but I do think that cancelling it well in advance was the right choice by the families and also the businesses (especially motels) in the area that would have been effected by being forced to cancel at a later date.

#22 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

This really sucks, I was really looking forward to going to this again as well as the DRWTC. Honestly in the past few years I've personally had more fun watching the Prospects Tournament than the Wings Training Camp. I'm still hopeful there we'll be camp but we'll see. I wonder how they are going to do tickets if they have the camp. I just hope there isn't another NHL Lockout.

#23 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

This pisses me off to no end. Lockout or not, holland's excuses for cancelling this tournament don't fly with me.

#24 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

This pisses me off to no end. Lockout or not, holland's excuses for cancelling this tournament don't fly with me.

I'm with you on this one. As much as the Wings apparently dislike Buttman, they should have kept the tourney on schedule and kept it business as usual as though there's a season on the way, not play into Buttman's hand and basically concede to a lockout starting from the bottom at the Prospect Tournament.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#25 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

It has already been mentioned in this thread, but clearly it bears repeating...

This was NOT just a decision made solely by Holland or the Wings, this was a MUTUAL decision by ALL of the multiple teams involved in the tournament.

#26 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Why would any team want to have a camp and get the prospects hopes up and the fans if there is a pending lockout?

There is no reason to promote hockey, the teams, and talent if that is the case.

Smart move all the way around and is a big indication that the hockey season is on the endangered species list.

Edited by Rivalred, 20 August 2012 - 11:39 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Why would any team want to have a camp and get the prospects hopes up and the fans if there is a pending lockout?

There is no reason to promote hockey, the teams, and talent if that is the case.

Smart move all the way around and is a big indication that the hockey season is on the endangered species list.

If for no other reason than to show the fans that they still have hope there will be hockey this year, or at the very least broadcast the tournament so we have some hockey. And what if there is a season?

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

I hope there isn't a lockout. I'm so tired of brinksmanship in public life. Politics, sports, business, everything is about pretending like you're untouchable and beating the other guy into a bloody pulp.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.