1 reply to this topic

#1 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=641987

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#2 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

This is a great line. When he puts it like that, you realise how much we've lost the last few years

My first year, Steve Yzerman retired and Brendan Shanahan decided it was time for him to go as well. So there are two players not back. (Dominik) Hasek, (Chris) Chelios, (Chris) Osgood, (Kris) Draper, (Kirk) Maltby -- Cup winners, all retired. (Brian) Rafalski, (Brad) Stuart, (Jiri) Fischer goes down. And now Nicklas Lidstrom is gone.
"Then, from a management perspective, Scotty Bowman went to Chicago, Steve Yzerman went to Tampa and Pat Verbeek went with him. Paul MacLean went to Ottawa and Todd McLellan went to San Jose. And yet it's all about winning.

Then this

Bobby Orr was my guy. He still is to this day. This year he texts me and says, 'Mike, I want to give Nick Lidstrom a phone call, can you text me his number?

I'm guessing that was when Nick retired. What a conversation that must have been :)
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk