• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Nope, I don't remember that season to be anything at all for me. So for me, point taken.

Though I don't like talking in futures like this. This Hawks team is better than a lot of Wings teams we have seen in the recent past.

Were you aware that Shero already had Malkin, Crosby, and the 2nd-overall pick when he assumed his duties with the Penguins?

Edited by Crymson, 28 March 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#62 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Well Shero is right there with Holland and Chiarelli these three are really the top of the top, close are Lombardi and Poile.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#63 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Well Shero is right there with Holland and Chiarelli these three are really the top of the top, close are Lombardi and Poile.

I would put Glen Sather and Paul Holmgren on the bottom :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#64 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Were you aware that Shero already had Malkin, Crosby, and the 2nd-overall pick when he assumed his duties with the Penguins?

He's also made two really outstanding moves with getting Sutter, a top 10 pick(Pouliot), and Dumoulin for Staal. That trade is huge, Dumoulin and Pouliot are both top pairing defenseman prospects, and are both very highly rated.

Add in getting James Neal, and Niskanen for Goligoski. This trade is a home run, Goligoski is a good puck mover, but Pittsburgh had that already with Letang. James  Neal is a young 30 goal at least power forward, there is no way in the world Neal would be trade for Goligoski, not to mention Niskanen which has really settled right in on the Penguins and is actually not that far of a drop of with what Goligoski provided, less offense, but better contract and decent defense.

The Morrow trade doesn't look great, as Joe Morrow was pretty high regarded, but Pittsburgh has a pretty big cupboard with Despres finally showing flashes of the prospect he is thought to be add in the gluttony of very good defensive prospects Pouliot, Maatta, Harrington and Dumoulin.

The Iginla trade is huge, they landed at least a 20 goal scorer(on pace for more), for a late first round pick, and 2 unsigned NCAA free agents, neither were ranked highly for the Pens, they didn't trade any of their top 8 prospects, and an argument can be made none of their top 10. The equilvent for the Wings would be Athanasiou, and Tvrdon. Maybe Sheahan, but Sheahan has more value because of his deal and has some more AHL experience.

Then think back to the Hossa trade where they got Hossa and Dupuis for Colby armstrong, Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a first round pick(Daultan Leveille). This trade in the long run isn't as big because they couldn't keep Hossa, but what it did do was provide the team with experience in the playoffs, and an attitude that they knew their GM wasn't afraid of making a move, and then the next year they win a cup.

Yeah, he's had the advantage of getting great players, but he's also done some very good moves outside of no brainer draft picks.

Edited by Carman, 28 March 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#65 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Go root for the Pens then

Yeah, go root for a team that actually wants to win Stanley Cups.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#66 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

He could have asked the Flames to talk to him and offered more. I would have.
I don't understand all the fartin around signing redundant and disposable players and not going after difference makers and filling needs.
Our biggest need is a power forward who can contribute on the top 2 lines. We get pushed around and to the perimeter especially in the playoffs.

Doesn't matter what Holland offered.  It wasn't the Flames/Feaster's choice, it was Jerome Iginla's choice.

We might have been on an expanded short-list, but Iggy wanted Pittsburgh.

i like the morrow and iginla trades but murray is god awful and does nothing to improve their defense. the dude is slow as molasses. think of him as a slower version of brad stuart in his last year here. yea not good

The Pens do like their pylons when it comes to winning Stanley Cups.   (See: Hal Gill  See also: SCF I'd like to forget)

Whether he is slow or not, he punishes people in the defensive zone and that is an improvement for Pittsburgh.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#67 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

This is why I like what Shero is doing... there was a time it seemed like Kenny made moves to show the team he believed in them and wasn't afraid to go all in to win.

This trade in the long run isn't as big because they couldn't keep Hossa, but what it did do was provide the team with experience in the playoffs, and an attitude that they knew their GM wasn't afraid of making a move, and then the next year they win a cup.

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#68 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Shero's moves are solid moves, if you don't believe so you are jealous. Yes he is loading up but he still has the safety net of malkin and crosby, embarrassment of riches. Wait til Murray and Orpik are just laying waste in the playoffs.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#69 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

I agree with almost everything else you've said in this thread, but you're smoking crack if you think Iginla isn't a sure-fire HOFer

Yep, all two of them, both of whom were on the team before these trades were made. Jarome Iginla MIGHT make it into the HHoF.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#70 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

I agree with almost everything else you've said in this thread, but you're smoking crack if you think Iginla isn't a sure-fire HOFer

You'll find that a lot of people are "smoking crack," then. If Iginla gets in, it'll likely be quite a few years after he retires.

The only active players who are assured a spot in the HHoF are Jagr, Selanne, and Brodeur. In case you hadn't noticed, only three players are inducted per year.

#71 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

If Holland had made these moves and the Wings didn't win the Cup, everyone would be bellyaching that he traded away our future.  But in Shero's case, he gets credit for giving it the old college try?  Many good talented teams end the season empty handed.  Pittsburgh may or may not win the Cup and whether they made the deals or not. 

#72 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

If Holland had made these moves and the Wings didn't win the Cup, everyone would be bellyaching that he traded away our future.  But in Shero's case, he gets credit for giving it the old college try?  Many good talented teams end the season empty handed.  Pittsburgh may or may not win the Cup and whether they made the deals or not. 

I am glad, Holland didn't make those deals Wings are not a Morrow, Iginla and Murray away from contending for the cup. Penguins are easily a better team right now, but at some point they have to go the rebuild route  too. The only difference is, the Wings are going through it now, while the Pens are riding their hotguns for a few more years.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#73 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

The thing is, the actual players Pittsburgh traded only have an outside shot of even making it to the NHL and I think the others were a 1st round pick (probably 30th overall) and a 5th I think.  They really didn't give up much of the future.

#74 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, go root for a team that actually wants to win Stanley Cups.  

Yea, the Pens have won 3 in the last 20 years while the Wings have won 4.  The Pens also tanked for 4 straight losing seasons and drafting Crosby and Malkin as a result.  Meanwhile, the Wings have made the playoffs all those years.

Wanting to win the cup and actually winning it are two different things.  We shall see if this gamble pays off.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#75 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Back in 1999, Kenny acquired Chris Chelios, Wendel Clark, Ulf Samuelsson and Bill Ranford to compliment such players as Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Nick Lidstrom, Slava Kozlov, Igor Larionov, Larry Murphy.  The Wings were huge favourites to win another Cup even though they had a mediocre regular season after having won back-to-back Cups. 

It turned out to be Fool's Gold however as the Wings were bounced out in the 2nd round to the Avs. 

My point is that nothing is guaranteed.  Are the Pens the prohibitive Cup favourites?  Yes.  Does this mean they will win it?  No. 

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#76 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

You'll find that a lot of people are "smoking crack," then. If Iginla gets in, it'll likely be quite a few years after he retires.

The only active players who are assured a spot in the HHoF are Jagr, Selanne, and Brodeur. In case you hadn't noticed, only three players are inducted per year.

All 3 of those guys will retire before Iggy. 
Iggy is a sure fire HoFer as soon as he is eligible.

Back in 1999, Kenny acquired Chris Chelios, Wendel Clark, Ulf Samuelsson and Bill Ranford to compliment such players as Steve Yzerman, Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Nick Lidstrom, Slava Kozlov, Igor Larionov, Larry Murphy.  The Wings were huge favourites to win another Cup even though they had a mediocre regular season after having won back-to-back Cups. 

It turned out to be Fool's Gold however as the Wings were bounced out in the 2nd round to the Avs. 

My point is that nothing is guaranteed.  Are the Pens the prohibitive Cup favourites?  Yes.  Does this mean they will win it?  No. 

None of those guys were as impactful as Iginla or filled a need for the Wings as much as Iggy does

#77 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

I haven't had a chance to see Pitt this year. But with additions they are going to be physically dominate, however Murray and Morrow are slow as hell, and Iggy is average speed at best. Plus Morrow/Iggy play the time of game that destroys a body early (which is why I don't want Clowe) and it seems like they are reflecting it. Also I know the Sharks wanted to get rid of Murray for about a year and a half. Either way they are a team that will be fun to watch.

edit: When is the last time a team loaded up near the deadline and won the cup?

Edited by ben_usmc, 29 March 2013 - 08:32 AM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#78 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

I am glad, Holland didn't make those deals Wings are not a Morrow, Iginla and Murray away from contending for the cup. Penguins are easily a better team right now, but at some point they have to go the rebuild route  too. The only difference is, the Wings are going through it now, while the Pens are riding their hotguns for a few more years.

Wings are an Iginla away from being a favorite for the Cup

#79 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Wings are an Iginla away from being a favorite for the Cup

I feel like at this point Iginla is living off of name alone. But I've never been a Iggy fan.
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#80 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Iginla is 35 years old and a shadow of his former self.  He will help the Pens because he will be playing with Crosby and Malkin.  Chelios was acquired in 1999 and ended up being a very key part of the Wings Cup win in 2002.  He was runner up to Lidstrom for the Norris Trophy that season.    The Wings are NOT a Cup favourite with Iginla in the line-up.   The main need is still for a top pair dman.  Until this need is filled, the Wings are an average hockey team capable of making the playoffs but not being good enough to advance very far.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams