• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z Winged Dangler

Crock Equipment

Rate this topic

As promised, here's the link to an article for Keith Primeau's idea for equipment made from the material that Crocks are made from.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2007/01/17/new_shoe_fabric_makes_sports_pads_less_gamey.html

The article is from 2007, but it should be brought back up to the NHL and presented at player safety meetings. Hockey's a fast game, and sometimes things happen where guys get hit in the head. If the equipment still protected the players, but made it less impactful when someone got hit hard there would be a lot less injured players, and the duration of injuries would be minimized.

I skimmed the article, but it seemed like a good idea. The biggest thing with gear is this; gear's gotten to the point of not only of where it's dangerous to others on the ice because of the size and protection but the effect of the protection allows players to feel like they are godlike. When I say this, I mean wearing these new guards and pads, it gives you a sense that you aren't going to get hurt. You don't think of the hit, because the gear protects you so much. When you get to that point, you start throwing hits you wouldn't throw originally. You would normally evaluate how much it's going to hurt you, and the other player. Sadly, if it doesn't hurt you, but still hurts the opposing player... you're more prone to throw these insane hits that are reckless. I would skim the gear down, make players feel more vulnerable, and they will play like they're more vulnerable.

Edited by evilzyme

http://www.hockeygiant.com/hockey-company-stores-fury-hockey-store.html

Apparently they followed through with it, but big companies like Reebok and Bauer and Nike were too big to compete with. It's called Fury equipment. I really wish Primeau would have taken the idea and went to a bigger named company to try and get the word out there more. His career, like many ended cause of concussions and I really wish that the bigger named companies as well would have looked into it more.

I skimmed the article, but it seemed like a good idea. The biggest thing with gear is this; gear's gotten to the point of not only of where it's dangerous to others on the ice because of the size and protection but the effect of the protection allows players to feel like they are godlike. When I say this, I mean wearing these new guards and pads, it gives you a sense that you aren't going to get hurt. You don't think of the hit, because the gear protects you so much. When you get to that point, you start throwing hits you wouldn't throw originally. You would normally evaluate how much it's going to hurt you, and the other player. Sadly, if it doesn't hurt you, but still hurts the opposing player... you're more prone to throw these insane hits that are reckless. I would skim the gear down, make players feel more vulnerable, and they will play like they're more vulnerable.

I agree with you completely.

More digging...check this out.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/ccmucsshlpdsr.html

CCM has crazy strong senior shoulder pads. By the looks of it, not an ounce of plastic.

Specs:

CCM U+ Crazy Strong Senior Hockey Shoulder Pads

• CAPS: New U Foam
  • CHEST: Molded floating ventilated sternum
  • BODY: Molded laminated foam with ventilation
  • BICEP:Adjustable molded bicep with PE insert
  • BACK: Molded floating ventilated back piece
  • CLAVICLE: Molded reinforced PE

Edit: Apparently most of the companies have already made safer equipment, people are just not choosing to use it. The NHL should mandate that all players use shoulder and elbow pads that are safetied by the NHL player safety department. Just like a car...if it's not safe, it's not insured and on the road.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler