61 replies to this topic

#41 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

I hate Radulov.

The Radulov incident did not affect Helm's back.

#42 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

So "if" he comes back for the start of next season that's not many games played in 20 months or so. To play his game of throwing his body around at high speed there's no guarantee he can get back to where he was. I hope he can but this is a long layoff and back injuries tend to always re-appear. 

#43 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

The Radulov incident did not affect Helm's back.

I didn't say it did, I said I hate Radulov.  Even though Helm was out for his MCL(?) and then came back, Rads took him out that game, and that's pretty much all he has played since minus the one game this year.  Thus, I'm still blaming Radulov.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#44 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

ASAP would be nice, but I find myself just hoping that he one day gets back to what he used to be.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#45 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

It will be interesting to see what Kenny does this summer.  Does he hope Helm's back improves so he can count on him being in the line-up? Or does he sign a UFA to replace him as insurance?  The most likely scenario is Emdog staying as the 4th line centre.  I'd say if Helm is not back this fall then his NHL career is likely in jeopardy.  I hate saying that but he missed last year's playoffs, virtually this entire season and playoffs.  Now he will rest for 3 months and see what happens.  If he is no better come Training Camp in September then the writing is pretty much on the wall.  We all love Helm but the sad reality is that he may have played his last game already.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#46 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

It will be interesting to see what Kenny does this summer.  Does he hope Helm's back improves so he can count on him being in the line-up? Or does he sign a UFA to replace him as insurance?  The most likely scenario is Emdog staying as the 4th line centre.  I'd say if Helm is not back this fall then his NHL career is likely in jeopardy.  I hate saying that but he missed last year's playoffs, virtually this entire season and playoffs.  Now he will rest for 3 months and see what happens.  If he is no better come Training Camp in September then the writing is pretty much on the wall.  We all love Helm but the sad reality is that he may have played his last game already.

Even if Helm is healthy at the start of camp, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Andersson stick to centering the 3rd line with Helm on the 4th & Emmerton either kept around as insurance, traded in a package, or sent through waivers.  Granted if Kenny gets the top 6 forward he's looking for & re-signs Flip (for a reasonable contract, not $5+m a season) that would make Emmerton even more expendable if Helm's healthy.

#47 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

I like Flip, but I don't think he's what we need.  He makes progress, regresses, makes progress, regresses.  Outside of his defensive capabilities, I don't see him doing anything we can't replace.  He just doesn't have the ability to hang onto the puck like he needs to play his game.  You can see the moves he tries to pull, and 90% of the time it leads to a turnover.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#48 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

We could have really used his speed against the hawks. Now ill be happy just to get him back next year if we ever do. It. Makes me nervous with him gone all year you never know if you will ever get someone like that back
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#49 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Sucks that Helm is out but we need him healthy. He can't risk a bad back injury. No sense letting him take a hit and worsening the situation. Ride with the guys we have

NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#50 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Helmer is missed.

#51 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Is it sad that I've started to forget that Helm is on this team? Not trying to minimize the guy at all, as anyone who's seen the guy, especially in the playoffs, knows he's huge. But these long term injuries are just brutal. I can't even imagine how hard it must be for him.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#52 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Back injuries are very discouraging and they never truly go away entirely. 

I just hope Helm can make progress over the summer and into the fall for next season. Obviously his presence, combined with the development we have seen from other forwards, would make the Red Wings even more deep going forward. 

Imagine this team with a healthy Helm, DeKeyser and Bertuzzi. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#53 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

I just hope Helm can make progress over the summer and into the fall for next season. Obviously his presence, combined with the development we have seen from other forwards, would make the Red Wings even more deep going forward. 

Imagine this team with a healthy Helm, DeKeyser and Bertuzzi. 

You had me. Then you said Bertuzzi. Completely lost me.

#54 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

You had me. Then you said Bertuzzi. Completely lost me.

Not significant as the other two, but it's still a loss. Big body, controls the puck and creates space. All of that is valuable in the playoffs. Bertuzzi is streaky, but so are Filppula and Franzen in the top-six.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#55 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

Not significant as the other two, but it's still a loss. Big body, controls the puck and creates space. All of that is valuable in the playoffs. Bertuzzi is streaky, but so are Filppula and Franzen in the top-six.

Bertuzzi is slow and old, doesnt hit, and doesnt fight. He's everything we dont need. When the alumni game comes back, put him in.

#56 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

Not necessarily true. Severe structural problems never go away, but there is no indication that they are at play here.

#57 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

I think it will be fine. If it keeps flaring up, they'll probably eventually go for surgery. it is just a matter of finding out the cause, from what i've read. He pushes it, and has a setback. I think when he does get back into the lineup he will be fine. He is young, afterall. If he was in his 30's id be more concerned. 

#58 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

Not necessarily true. Severe structural problems never go away, but there is no indication that they are at play here.

There's no indication of anything, therein lies the problem. He's in pain and no one can seem to figure out why.  Its hard to treat a problem if you don't know what it is.  Not looking good long term for Helm.

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

There's no indication of anything, therein lies the problem. He's in pain and no one can seem to figure out why.  Its hard to treat a problem if you don't know what it is.  Not looking good long term for Helm.

The pessimistic logic of some of you is appalling. There's nothing to say that the problem won't eventually be diagnosed.

#60 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

The pessimistic logic of some of you is appalling. There's nothing to say that the problem won't eventually be diagnosed.

I like thinking optimistically, but Helm needs to get the doctor stuff straightened out fast.