Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Is the Real Brendan Smith Finally Starting the Show Up?

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Like I had said earlier in this thread, he is starting to look more like a Duncan Keith-type defenseman every game he plays alongside Kronner, with a very similar skill set. Tonight's goal was just another example of his ability to contribute, on both ends of the ice!

Edited by NYC Wings Fanatic, 09 April 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#162 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

I'm liking Smith more and more. Yes, he makes some mistakes (as do all of our defencemen) but he seems to have fantastic offensive instincts -- he knows when to move up on the rush and when to attack the net. I think he would bring way more to the power play than DeKeyser does at this point, altho DD's slapshot seems harder.

#163 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Doesn't it look like Brendan is continuing to significantly grow more and more during these playoff games? He is now almost always joining the rush whenever the opportunity presents, and his stickhandling and speed make him look pretty darn good in hauling it out of the defensive zone, dishing it off or shooting himself, or simply giving the offense another look that they typically don't have from a defenseman. Babs must have given him the green light to do this whenever possible, as they certainly haven't reeled him in, and must be encouraging this big time. Krug does this same stuff consistently for the Bruins. Smith's defense also looks a world better, even though he still gambles big time on occasion, but has made some genuinely high level def. plays that he hadn't done much of previously. A dose of Kronwall sure does wonders! (Now if only Kronner could be cloned, and then paired with Kindl, Quincy, and Lashoff!)

#164 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

To me Smith has been our best defenseman 5 on 5. I think the next step for him is next year. Maybe finally get some time on the Powerplay. He has already proven he can handle 20 minutes per game. I would like to see him play 22-25 minutes next year and see what he can do.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#165 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Doesn't it look like Brendan is continuing to significantly grow more and more during these playoff games? He is now almost always joining the rush whenever the opportunity presents, and his stickhandling and speed make him look pretty darn good in hauling it out of the defensive zone, dishing it off or shooting himself, or simply giving the offense another look that they typically don't have from a defenseman. Babs must have given him the green light to do this whenever possible, as they certainly haven't reeled him in, and must be encouraging this big time. Krug does this same stuff consistently for the Bruins. Smith's defense also looks a world better, even though he still gambles big time on occasion, but has made some genuinely high level def. plays that he hadn't done much of previously. A dose of Kronwall sure does wonders! (Now if only Kronner could be cloned, and then paired with Kindl, Quincy, and Lashoff!)

Honestly, he's been looking like a leader out there.  When the Wings are hemmed in their own zone, on several occasions Smith has been taking the puck and skating away from trouble himself, instead of passing to someone else and hoping they have a better chance at getting the puck out (which seems to be a problem with our defense as a whole this postseason).  On the breakout, as you said, Smith has been joining the rush and looking to make plays, and he's been contributing to our chances in the offensive zone.  He's taken a step in his development for sure based on his play, and I love that hockey smarts are starting to work along with his confidence, and he has some experience to steer him to the right play now.  I still think his potential is very high, and I'm excited to see how he progresses over the next two, three years.

#166 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

His skating through nuetral zone last night was great to see. Granted he is hi risk when doing that but once he understands the game more he will be a dangerous dude. You can see his confidence growing eaxh game. That Chara bs really calmed him down actually and will prove to be a seminal moment im his growth hopefully

#167 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

He def has been looking good. And I still can't figure out why babs seems to do everything possible to keep him off the power play. I saw him out there a couple times with kronwall I think? But it seems he still tries to have a fourth forward on the top PP which makes no sense to me. Smith and kronwall could do wonders on the same PP IMO. I just wish one was righty..:

Edited by DeGraa55, 25 April 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#168 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

It was always about taking a chill pill for Smith. When he slows the game down, skates with the puck instead of making ill advised passes, he's golden. He still makes mistakes, but this is his first 82 game season. He's shown alot of growth, I think going forward he should be paired with Kronwall full time. Ericsson can do just fine with DeKeyser. The 3rd pair needs to be revamped in the offseason.

#NOMOREKINDL

#169 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

It was always about taking a chill pill for Smith. When he slows the game down, skates with the puck instead of making ill advised passes, he's golden. He still makes mistakes, but this is his first 82 game season. He's shown alot of growth, I think going forward he should be paired with Kronwall full time. Ericsson can do just fine with DeKeyser. The 3rd pair needs to be revamped in the offseason.

I think next year the third pair will be some combination of Kindl Sproul Oulette Marchenko Almqvuist and a free agent defenseman. There is no chance that they will not try and sign a veteran to come in and compete. Obviously I have no say in the matter but I would like it if Smith and Kronwall stayed together and if not Kronwall then Dekeyser and Smith. Personally I would look for the Wings to find that elusive right handed Dman that they lost when Rafalski retired.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#170 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Sproul and Marchenko are both RH Dmen.  I'll bet Marchenko is on the 3rd pairing next year.    Smith has done a nice job in this series...love to see him on the PP.

#171 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

As long as Smith uses his speed he makes things happen. 

#172 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Smith has been very steady these playoffs despite looking flustered to start the season. He stays pretty calm out there against that Bruins forecheck. He seems to thrive under pressure which is not a talent every player has. I like his poise when he gets a pass in his feet and there is a man coming down on him - also he is starting to skate out of trouble rather than turn the puck over which is a huge improvement. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#173 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

I find he has been better but he seems to be trying too hard with the puck. He appears to be sort of a hog and i even saw dats wanting the puck a couple games ago and smith didnt even notice him... dats even hit him with his stick as he was skating behind him

He is definately more effective when he plays this way, but he just needs to stop playing 4th forward so much

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#174 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Some caller into 97.1 said Smith should be playing 9 minutes a night at max. The host (Fithian?) agreed and said he couldn't believe that Smith was sometimes paired with Kronwall during the regular season.

Did these people even watch the playoffs?

#175 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

Some caller into 97.1 said Smith should be playing 9 minutes a night at max. The host (Fithian?) agreed and said he couldn't believe that Smith was sometimes paired with Kronwall during the regular season.

Did these people even watch the playoffs?

That's why I font like that radio station. Just look at those corsi stats someone posted. Literally every defense man plays better when they are playing with Smith.

#176 STATiK

STATiK

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I absolutely love the way Smith was playing towards the end of the season and the playoffs. I really think that was maybe the lone bright spot from the Boston series, was how well he played, and the potential he's always had finally coming to fruition. It's a thing of beauty watching him go coast to coast making plays, I'm looking forward to seeing more of that next year...when's the last time we had a dman score 20-25? (Whenever Lidstrom did it last I'd presume) He definitely seems like he could be doing that soon though, just my opinion anyways.

#177 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I absolutely love the way Smith was playing towards the end of the season and the playoffs. I really think that was maybe the lone bright spot from the Boston series, was how well he played, and the potential he's always had finally coming to fruition. It's a thing of beauty watching him go coast to coast making plays, I'm looking forward to seeing more of that next year...when's the last time we had a dman score 20-25? (Whenever Lidstrom did it last I'd presume) He definitely seems like he could be doing that soon though, just my opinion anyways.

He sured seemed to turn a corner in the latter half of the season. Let's hope he can continue to improve and not regress like Kindle after a good season last year.