• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KronwallCRUNCH

Mad about Al not being able to swing the octopi?

Rate this topic

Let's tell 'em what we think of Gary's latest attempt to ruin tradition!

National Hockey League

1251 Avenue of the Americas

47th Floor

New York, NY 10020

Phone: 212-789-2000

NHL Players' Association

777 Bay Street

Suite 2400

Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C8

Phone: 416-313-2300

Just a personal thought here..

There are HOW MANY members of this forum? How many of us are pissed off about Bettman's latest escapade? We can either piss and moan around this site, which will never reach the NHL, or voice our displeasure right to the league. I already called.

This is what I sent last week

Dear Mr. Bettman,

I have recently read about a warning sent to the Detroit Red Wings concerning their zamboni driver/octopus wrangler Al Sobotka and a possible fine of $10,000 US for each instance when the cephalopod is twirled in the air. While I fully understand that objects thrown onto the office can result in a delay of game penalty to the home team I feel that a fine is quite ridiculous. For 56 years octopi have been a staple at the Olympia and Joe Louis Arena, during the last 30 years Mr. Sobotka has been responsible for removing them from the ice.

I can understand the fear of octopus matter being plastered all over the ice but I ask you to fear not for the players’ safety. Mr. Sobotka takes great pride in the quality and consistency of the ice surface of JLA. A twirling octopus is as much a part of Red Wings history as Jack Adams, Gordie Howe, and The Captain Steve Yzerman. Years ago Frank Brown was quoted as saying “Every so often, an octopus slips out of someone’s hands and Al is right there to take care of the matter. And he cannot be blamed if, as it tries to break free from Al’s grasp, the octopus lifts Al’s arm and twirls itself in the air.”

I understand from recent press clippings that Mr. Brown’s and the NHL’s stance on the matter has changed to “Because matter flies off the octopus and gets on the ice when he does it.”

Please reconsider the fine you intend to impose on the Red Wings for Mr. Sobotka’s actions. I would like to point you to the advertisements Versus has been running regarding the Stanley Cup Playoffs, one in particular where the camera shows said octopus sliding across the ice as the narrator says “I am a cult following”. This “cult following” is headed by Mr. Sobotka, we look to him for inspiration as we reflect on this simple act. We are talking about a tradition that is over a half century old and I don’t feel will die any time soon. As long as the Red Wings make the post season and as long as Mr. Sobotka maintains some of the most immaculate ice in the NHL you will continue to see cephalopod after cephalopod grace the ice. After all, tradition is something grand; it brings generation after generation together to understand something beyond being a spectator, being just a body in a seat.

Respectfully yours,

Jason

Nashville, TN via Detroit, MI

Guest CaliWingsNut
BTW someone mentioned that they removed the "octopus" portion of the VS commercial in regards to the "cult" following. :ranting:

They recut the video to still show the octopus, but not put as much attention on it.