Those are some really great pictures, thanks
IPB Image

#22 kozac

kozac

another soft russian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

great picture of Datsyuk taking off for the shot, i can see the holes in the stick

#23 VladyIBELIEVE16

VladyIBELIEVE16

Your Red Wings Nation West President

• HoF Booster
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:28 PM

Giz - I was at that game last night..(hard to believe I'm already back home in California) - I should've had you taking my picture after the game in front of the center ice logo!!!

Great pics..now I don't want to post mine sad.gif
Don't worry about losing. If it's right, it happens. The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. Steinbeck
Dance is nothing until it's on a beautiful body - Wade Robson
What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
In life as in the dance: Grace glides on blistered feet. - Alice Abrams

#24 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:47 PM

Wow, awesome pics. I've never seen amateur photos from a Wings game that look that good.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#25 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(ARice89 @ March 7, 2007 - 11:47PM) View Post

Wow, awesome pics. I've never seen amateur photos from a Wings game that look that good.

Those are GREAT clap.gif . I'd love to be able to take pics like that!

Edited by Wing-in-avs-town, 07 March 2007 - 11:05 PM.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#26 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

I'd love to be able to take pics like that!
Though I've had my work appear in Sports Illustrated and papers like the NYT, it isn't all that hard to take those kind of photos. I wasn't even using my top-end equipment (I would have KILLED to be able to bring my 80-200 f2.8 into The Joe with me!). Here's some pointers I can pass along to help:

1) If your camera supports it, use "manual mode" for exposure. The light doesn't change on the ice so, there's no reason to let the camera's meter set the exposure. Also, the white ice will throw off meter anyway and give you grey ice and darker players. If the meter doesn't offer "manual" mode, but does allow exposure compenstation, dial in about +0.7 steps of exposure.

If using manual mode, shot test photos to get the shutter speed and lens aperture right. If your camera displays "highlights" information and/or an image histogram use them to check for "blown out" highlights and make sure the ends of the curve on the histogram aren't againt the ends of the graph.

2) If you have manual, jack the ISO as high as it'll go (I used 1600) and try to get the shutter speed up to at LEAST 1/250th a second. Normally, I shoot hockey at 1/500th sec, but with the consumer lens I used it doesn't allow enought light in to go that high at ISO 1600.

3) If shooting the warm-ups, get the lens against the glass or as close as possible. This will cut down on the glare from the rink glass.
"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#27 Covenant

Covenant

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

These are amazing! What wonders even a "semi-pro" can do with a camera. I'm a complete idiot with my digital cam. Thanks for sharing the images of this exciting contest!!
IPB Image