• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Defenseman13

No wonder Joe is so good....

Rate this topic

From nhl.com

What's in a number -- Why do players wear certain numbers? Always an interesting question. San Jose's Joe Thornton wears No. 19 because Detroit Red Wings great Steve Yzerman wore No. 19./p>

"I went to a lot of Red Wings games, because it was an easier ticket to get than Maple Leafs tickets," Thornton, a native of London, Ontario, told The Detroit News. "And my brother, John, he was a big Stevie Yzerman fan, so I was getting pulled in that direction."

At age 11, Thornton finally ditched his father's favorite number -- No. 2, in honor of Hall of Fame defenseman Doug Harvey -- for Yzerman's 19.

"Yeah, you don't see too many forwards wearing No. 2, so I decided to start wearing 19 -- and I never switched back," Thornton said.

original article

I have always like Mean Joey T, now I know why, I just wish he stayed in Boston or came to Detroit. I hope that he is done scoring in this years playoffs. We don't need him to keep up this pace.

Let's Go RED WINGS!!!!

I actually think joe is a wings fan, well when he was a kid anyway. He grew up close to me, and there are alot of wings fans from about London down to windsor, so it's a good possibility he choose 19 cuase of stevie :)

San Jose's Joe Thornton wears No. 19 because Detroit Red Wings great Steve Yzerman wore No. 19
Yeah, I'd say it's a good possibility he chose 19 because of Stevie...