• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Agalloch

The Predators have been sold.

Rate this topic

Guest ZDH

The Preds are as good as gone. It's only a matter of when. Balsille still needs to build an arena in KW though. The Kitchener Auditorium is far too small for NHL hockey. Big enough for the OHL's Kitchener Rangers but not even close to being an NHL arena.

Article

Bettman believes the Preds will stay put.

Hmm...and another article has quite a different slant on the same press conference with the same Bettman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2007...&id=2885183

Bettman was asked about the possible sale of the Nashville Predators to Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie, who is believed to be interested in having a team in Southern Ontario. Bettman said he is "intrigued" by the idea of increasing the Canadian content of the league.

"With respect to a franchise returning to Canada, that's something that intrigues me," Bettman said. "Because with the partnership we have with the players and the revenue sharing, it's something that, while we haven't studied it, seems to be more likely than three, four, five years ago."

It's a bit off topic, but, the ESPN article did answer a question that had been on my my mind lately...

Not going anywhere anytime soon

Bettman dispelled any notion that he might be headed out to pasture anytime soon. He said he has a contract that will keep him in the commissioner's chair until "at least" his 60th birthday. He turns 55 next Saturday.

:nonono:

things are looking better here for the short term future. Obviously we're guaranteed next season. Average 14k during next season and it looks like the Preds will be in town for 6 more seasons after that.

Now, after that there really isn't anything we can do to keep them here. And Balsillie could take the thing to court at some point after next season and would have a good chance of winning a case. But that would still drag out for at least a season. But the main thing is that the fans and more importantly, the businesses in Nashville have direct control over the next 7 years. Step up and support the team and they're here for 7 years. Simple as that.

things are looking better here for the short term future. Obviously we're guaranteed next season. Average 14k during next season and it looks like the Preds will be in town for 6 more seasons after that.

Now, after that there really isn't anything we can do to keep them here. And Balsillie could take the thing to court at some point after next season and would have a good chance of winning a case. But that would still drag out for at least a season. But the main thing is that the fans and more importantly, the businesses in Nashville have direct control over the next 7 years. Step up and support the team and they're here for 7 years. Simple as that.

I'm sorry to say.. you are dead wrong. The "7 Years" does not have to be followed by the new owner. The rule is that after attempts have been made to make the team competitive and promotions have been made to lure fans and does not work, Balsillie will have the right to control the destiny of the team(of course with league approval). Nashville has already done all they can to attract fans and yet low attendance. They cannot force the team to remain there and make balsillie take a loss for the next 7 years thats totally ridiculous :wacko: . They will be there this year and maybe the next but then bedeeyah bedeeyah thats all folks.

I'm sorry to say.. you are dead wrong. The "7 Years" does not have to be followed by the new owner. The rule is that after attempts have been made to make the team competitive and promotions have been made to lure fans and does not work, Balsillie will have the right to control the destiny of the team(of course with league approval). Nashville has already done all they can to attract fans and yet low attendance. They cannot force the team to remain there and make balsillie take a loss for the next 7 years thats totally ridiculous :wacko: . They will be there this year and maybe the next but then bedeeyah bedeeyah thats all folks.

Like I said, it's up to the fans.

If Balsillie makes a good faith effort to promote the team and put a competitive team on the ice, then it's all up to the fans. Show up and they stay. Stay away and the team moves.

If he tries to turn this thing into "Major League", doing all he can to keep attendance and fan interest low, then he is not following the good faith rules and would have a much, much more difficult battle in the courts.

...and by the way. EVERYTHING that has been discussed on the subject up to this point is pure speculation by fans and media, so to say that something is set in stone one way or the other is wrong.

Unfortunaltely for Pred fans, all that can be attempted was attempted for the last couple of seasons. Thats why Balsillie is going to shop for a new home. Balsillie is a smart business man he is not in it to take a loss or break even he wants to turn a profit. I see the team moving to either Halifax, Quebec, possibly Winnipeg.

Like I said, it's up to the fans.

No, actually its not completely about the fan attendance. Its probably more about corporate support...which Nashville isn't giving the Preds at all. Even if the fans did show up more than in seasons past...how would the corporate issue be resolved? Thats whats losing the franchise millions of dollars.