• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeta Power 40

Report: Leafs close to deal with Sundin

Rate this topic

Guest jaytan

Thronton give me pause but he doesn't go to the net like Sundin..Sharks would have beat us with Sundin

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

You're either on some really good crack or you're completely insane if you think Sundin is even on the same level as Joe Thornton!

You're either on some really good crack or you're completely insane if you think Sundin is even on the same level as Joe Thornton!

If Sundin had a decent winger to play with, he probably would be. I'm not saying he'd be as good as Thornton, but possibly close.

Sundin is a great player, and doesn't get nearly enough recognition. The reason he isn't a 100-110 point scorer every season is that he doesn't have a top line winger to play. Instead of going out and signing a big name winger, the Leafs management prefers to clog up the roster with ageing centers that are past their prime. They prefer playing Sundin with guys like Ponikarovsky and Antropov, who are all decent players, but are not first line players. He needs a good first line winger to show his true potential. Even despite this by not having one, Sundin still manages to put up 70 or so points most every season. Just shows that he is a lot better then anyone gives him credit.

Guest jaytan

Yes, and he's so clutch, too! I wish we'd signed him. We'd probably have won twice as many Cups as we did with Yzerman. ;)

Nylander wants $4.5 million per. He's not worth that at all. Hartnall would be interesting, although i kind of want the Wings to sign him. He'll be looking for a decent pay day as well. They do have cap room, so i think their gonna get someone to play with Sundin. Steen started so slow last year but picked it up near the end, Stajan i'm not sure how much hype was behind him to begin with, he's a decent player tho. He's from the Toronto area as well.

Steen's first child was born during training camp last year and it was a huge distraction for him, and it affected his game. Once he got over some of the mental hurdles of parenthood, he really settled in and had a pretty good 2nd half. I suspect he'll be on a line with Wellwood and maybe Tucker this season.

Too bad they may have to move a guy like White whom I felt played great with Gill; "Fred & Barney" is the perfect name for that D pairing :lol:

I'm sure Gill is the guy they'd like to move (and may even have some market value because he played fairly well for the most part), but the return they could get for a guy like White is probably something they'll look at.

Staffan Kronwall has said that he's going back to Sweden if he isn't given a one-way contract, and he's done absolutely nothing to prove that he can stick in the NHL, so I'm not sure what will happen with him.

Well Thornton had better wingers and didn't do much...pass pass pass

A #1 guy has to scores goals in the clutch... he didn't

H e played on the outside thruout most of the playoffs...and passed the puck off

continually, instead of attacking the net. When Tucker was with Sundin they scored a lot of goals

and had a great power play...put him with dats or Zetterberg and a holstrom and watch the

scoring increase..especially the 5 on 5 play...a wing weakness in the playoffs.

Well Thornton had better wingers and didn't do much...pass pass pass

A #1 guy has to scores goals in the clutch... he didn't

H e played on the outside thruout most of the playoffs...and passed the puck off

continually, instead of attacking the net. When Tucker was with Sundin they scored a lot of goals

and had a great power play...put him with dats or Zetterberg and a holstrom and watch the

scoring increase..especially the 5 on 5 play...a wing weakness in the playoffs.

To be fair, the Leafs powerplay was more than just Sundin & Tucker. Wellwood, Kaberle & McCabe gave them five different weapons and one was always open. Of course, it was rare to have all five healthy at the same time.

Staffan Kronwall has said that he's going back to Sweden if he isn't given a one-way contract, and he's done absolutely nothing to prove that he can stick in the NHL, so I'm not sure what will happen with him.

Wasn't he injured this entire season?

Wasn't he injured this entire season?

He was for about half of it. He got into 47 games for the Marlies. But he gets hurt all the time. He sneezes and he's out 4-6 weeks. He was completely disinterested in the AHL and the Leafs punished him as such by not giving him any recalls, even when he was healthy (opting to call up guys like Brendan Bell and Jay Harrison, instead).

He was for about half of it. He got into 47 games for the Marlies. But he gets hurt all the time. He sneezes and he's out 4-6 weeks. He was completely disinterested in the AHL and the Leafs punished him as such by not giving him any recalls, even when he was healthy (opting to call up guys like Brendan Bell and Jay Harrison, instead).

Seems like he's no different from his brother. Heh, that family is pretty weak. I wonder what it is.

Seems like he's no different from his brother. Heh, that family is pretty weak. I wonder what it is.

Bad knees, bad groins and bad ankles. It's always one of the three for Staffan.

Not sure if the Kronwall's are more brittle or it's just a coincidence....from what I have heard, Staffan's injuries are usually on fairly high-impact plays.

I dunno , but Staffans always been a bad attitude. I remeber when he play for the St Johns Maple Leafs , everytime people would ask for autographs , He'd tell them to buzz off , and leave him alone.

As for them being brittle , I have no idea what it is

KRONWALL STAY HEALTHY!!111z!

Bad knees, bad groins and bad ankles. It's always one of the three for Staffan.

Not sure if the Kronwall's are more brittle or it's just a coincidence....from what I have heard, Staffan's injuries are usually on fairly high-impact plays.

Nik Kronwall is more or less unlucky. That said, his constant injuries are really starting to bother me, and for a guy that's supposed to be a top defenseman on the Wings, he hasn't shown it yet. He's always injured.

Staffan Kronwall, from what I've heard, is just plain injury prone. I heard he's been that way since playing in Sweden. Combine the fact that he's unmotivated, he'll never make it with the Leafs. JFJ will just find a worse, yet more expensive replacement. ;)

JFJ will just find a worse, yet more expensive replacement. ;)

Fortunately, he spent himself out of that possibility last summer. Of course, I'm sure he'll throw $4 million at some washed-up retread come July 1 to play with Sundin.

I just hope this Stralman kid is what they say he is. The Leafs could use a break like that for once.

I would have to say Staffan is done in North America. He's not going to crack the Leafs lineup and I doubt anybody would trade for his rights.

^ - I don't recall him ever playing for St. John's....I think you must mean the Marlies. But yeah, he's never had any interest in playing the AHL. He just goes through the motions with the Marlies.

Might have been the marlies , Was he not signed into the leafs system in 03 ? I must be thinking of a different defenceman.

He was drafted in '02, but he didn't come over here until the 2005/06 season, I think.

Ah , I see , different guy.

Man , I miss the St Johns Maple Leafs , Back when Wellwood and Druken were playing , and a long time ago .... Felix The Cat ! :D

Yeah, the Baby Leafs were a fun game to go to during the couple trips I made to the Rock a few years back. Logistically, it just didn't make sense to keep the team there, sadly.

(Side note, could the crusty European defenceman you're thinking of possibly be Pierre Hedin? He played one season for the Baby Leafs and went back to Europe as quickly as he could. May have also been Max Kondratiev, but he was only in the AHL for a very brief period of time.)

Edited by MacK_Attack

Yeah, the Baby Leafs were a fun game to go to during the couple trips I made to the Rock a few years back. Logistically, it just didn't make sense to keep the team there, sadly.

(Side note, could the crusty European defenceman you're thinking of possibly be Pierre Hedin? He played one season for the Baby Leafs and went back to Europe as quickly as he could)

Most likely , That sounds right.

I know it didnt make sense to keep them there , but for a team that since 99-03 were pretty bad with the exception of a few players , the fans still loved them.

(Side note, could the crusty European defenceman you're thinking of possibly be Pierre Hedin? He played one season for the Baby Leafs and went back to Europe as quickly as he could. May have also been Max Kondratiev, but he was only in the AHL for a very brief period of time.)

Kondratiev recently resigned with Anaheim just last week. He may get another shot in the NHL.