54 replies to this topic

#41 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(DetroitIan @ July 20, 2007 - 01:15PM) View Post

Yeah I definitely disagree. IMO there are 3 times the amount of b-ball fans in this state then there are Wings fans. Think of it this way. Almost everyone likes basketball in some way. But there are loads of people that have no interest in hockey at all. My graduating class in high school was over 800 kids. And everyone liked the Pistons. But only a select few knew anything about hockey. You are right in a sense though. When the Red Wings win, us hockey fans get into it way more then b-ball fans do when their team wins. But the problem is, there are way more people in America that are fans of basketball, as opposed to hockey. You could walk up to 10 random people on the street, and ask them to name 3 Pistons and 3 Red Wings. And I guaruntee 9 out of 10 would be able to name the Pistons, but not the Red Wings. And hell, I really wish it was the opposite. But it's just the way it is in the United States. Hockey just isnt up there with the other 3 major sports. Not yet atleast.

I agree Ian. While the Red Wings fans are definitely by far more passionate about the team, going by sheer amount of fan interest numbers-wise, its easily the Pistons. Most everybody seems to have at least some basic knowledge regarding the Pistons, because basketball is just more popular. But like you said, poll some random people on the street about the Wings, and you'll be lucky if 20% of them can name more than the 3 Wings. Hell in all likelihood, you'd find people still naming Yzerman and Fedorov!
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#42 jaytan

jaytan

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Chase @ July 20, 2007 - 02:55PM) View Post

In Michigan:

1. Pistons
2. Tigers (Only because of past years success, otherwise Lions)
3. Lions
4. Wings

I haven't lived there in a while now, but I grew up in the Detroit area when the Pistons were easily the best team in town (and the league), the Tigers were average and the Wings and Lions were decent. The Pistons were really popular at the time, but you could tell that it was just because they were winning. The Lions were the team most people seemed to like the most, and after that, it was about even.
Hail Jaytan!

#43 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(WingNut199 @ July 20, 2007 - 02:46PM) View Post

Thats cute

Thank you.

I had another question for you. First, you say that the Wings matter the most because if they didn't make the playoffs, the media would be all over it and it would be headline news. Then a few posts down you say there's no bandwagon fans because there's no media coverage of hockey.

So, the only way the Red Wings would get covered is if they didn't make the playoffs?

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#44 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

Say what you want, but I can tell you this...my team is the Wings. No one else comes close. The Tigers are okay, but I don't follow them. The Pistons and the Lions are even lower on my radar. I'd rather watch lacrosse than either one of them.

But the Wings??? They rule at my house.
Posted Image

#45 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ July 20, 2007 - 02:52PM) View Post

My personal order is

1: Tigers
2: Red Wings
3: Lions
4: Pistons

But I think overall the order would be

1: Lions
2: Tigers
3: Red Wings
4: Pistons

Completely agree with the overall order to a certain extent and here's my reasons:

When the Wings started their rise in the early '90's, they had no competition in Detroit. The Lions still had Barry but they were going no where and everyone knew it, the Tigers were awful and the Pistons were awful. Detroit and Michigan in general needed a winning team and the Red Wings happened to be it. That traveled all the way up until the Pistons won their championship in 2004. The Wings were a year removed from the cup and they had just gotten swept by Anaheim (or maybe I'm mistaken and it was when we lost to Calgary, it doesn't reallly matter) When that happened it wasn't as big as when the Wings won the cup in '97, the buildup just wasn't the same and I say that as a Michigan Sports fan, not just a Wings fan.

In Detroit, the Lions are king, they haven't won a god damn thing in modern history and people still find the time to make them the most relevant, I, personally don't get it, but that's why the NFL is the monster it is. The Tigers are next, what they did for the city last year is what stories are made of, if there weren't so many mindless Lions drones out there the Tigers would easily be #1, but anyone an see that if the Lions ever got good (ha ha) it would be no contest. The Tigers pulled the city back together, much like what the Wings did but to a greater extent. Detroit will always be a baseball town.

The Pistons are big, but they're not that big, from my experiences most people are Lions or Tiger fans first, then Wings "fans" then they watch some Pistons games. I just think Basketball as a sport is going in the wrong direction and it's turning some people off. Personally, I just think the Pistons, much like the Wings to an extent, are getting or have gotten stale to people. As funny as it sounds, winning is boring to a lot of people, unless it's fresh and brand new.
Moral victories are for losers.

#46 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:54 PM

As people have already said, the Lions run this town and they haven't won a title in like 60 years. The Tigers are the new Red Wings/Pistons, the hot team of the hour--but Detroit is, has been, and always will be a huge baseball city. The Pistons are 3rd, the Wings 4th, and the evidence of that was this spring, when the Wings and Pistons had so many conflicting playoff games. It was virtually impossible to find the Wings game broadcast over the Pistons game at a local bar. My buddies and I spent a couple Saturday afternoons driving all over Royal Oak and Berkley trying to find a bar carrying the Wings game as their primary draw... and there wasn't one. If we were lucky, we could find the Wings on one of the corner TVs while the Pistons occupied all of the big screens and all of the speakers.

My list, both now and if all were championship caliber:
1. Lions
2. Tigers
3. Pistons
4. Red Wings

#47 reyalp

reyalp

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(redwingfan19 @ July 20, 2007 - 02:35PM) View Post

I don't care about who the most important team is, the Wings will always be MY #1 team so thats all that matters.

QFT.

#48 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(redwingfan19 @ July 20, 2007 - 02:35PM) View Post

I don't care about who the most important team is, the Wings will always be MY #1 team so thats all that matters.

clap.gif

personally i think the tigers are so popular right now cause of all of the bandwagon fans. (not that im saying there wasn't/aren't red wings fans) but to be honest, it was hard to watch the tigers prior to their out of nowhere success last season. i couldn't believe my eyes. and the team got carried all the way to the world series.
thats unbelievable to me. (thinking about the 03 season, i remember actually get so frustrated in the beginning of that year cause they started so badly that after a game i took my schedule from the Detroit News and ripped it up - it was that bad for me)

i compare it to the Lions going out there this year and making the wild card and going to play in the super bowl.
it was that big and surprising to me. im a big fan of baseball, but hockey will always be my number one.

it just seems like there are more bandwagon fans for the tigers than the red wings. meh, i guess im okay with it, the city prior to last year might as well have not had a baseball team in the 90's and early 2000's

my order:
1. red wings
2. tigers
3. lions
4. pistons

Edited by kylee, 21 July 2007 - 07:47 AM.

#49 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

Sorry about not providing a link. But I saw it on the ESPN homepage. They change their polls every couple hours and I didn't know where to find it after that.
Posted Image

#50 Feldmarschall

Feldmarschall

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:24 PM

I have a bit of a problem with the whole thing in that I can't even name three players from either the Lions, Tigers, OR Pistons respective rosters. No kidding. I'd have to wiki it, particularly the Lions, for whom I cannot name a single player. The popularity of a crappy football team is actually pretty astonishing. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't figure anyone in Michigan really gave much of a damn about the Lions aside from occasionally making fun of them. I never hear anything about them at work, though football in general runs the day.

Really, other sports hold no appeal for me whatsoever. I've sampled baseball, basketball, football, golf, NASCAR, MMA, and boxing. Simply put, nothing compares to hockey, so for me, the Wings have and always will matter the most.

#51 WingedWheels

WingedWheels

Top Prospect

• Bronze Booster
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:40 PM

Comparing all these is like comparing apples and oranges.

However, think about it:

Tigers saved us in the 60's when everyone else was bad (Lions, Pistons, Red Wings)

The Pistons saved us at the end of the 80's when the others were bad

The wings saved us in the mid 90's to the early 00's when everyone else was bad.

Now we have 3 out fo 4 really great sports teams, how do you pick one?

#52 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(Feldmarschall @ July 21, 2007 - 02:24PM) View Post

I have a bit of a problem with the whole thing in that I can't even name three players from either the Lions, Tigers, OR Pistons respective rosters. No kidding. I'd have to wiki it, particularly the Lions, for whom I cannot name a single player. The popularity of a crappy football team is actually pretty astonishing. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't figure anyone in Michigan really gave much of a damn about the Lions aside from occasionally making fun of them. I never hear anything about them at work, though football in general runs the day.

Really, other sports hold no appeal for me whatsoever. I've sampled baseball, basketball, football, golf, NASCAR, MMA, and boxing. Simply put, nothing compares to hockey, so for me, the Wings have and always will matter the most.

I'm in almost the same boat as you are. I can name three Tigers, but only because it's on the tv every day right now. Pistons, maybe. Lions, no way in hell could I tell you three guys. Maybe one?

But I can tell you every one of the Wings by heart. Even the fellas who came up and played just a few games last season from GR. I agree with you, hockey is the first and foremost sport in my world. Nothing else even comes close.
Posted Image

#53 Collin Lane

Collin Lane

The cause of all this war, misery and suffering? Bean Sprouts.

• 17 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ July 20, 2007 - 11:26AM) View Post

That probably because the Tigers were so bad for such a long time, and then all of a sudden they make the World Series. Its hard to get as excited about a team like the Wings when you're at the top of the standings year-in and year-out.

The Lions should just take a couple years off and go play rec-league touch football. Rebuild the confidence and such.

#54 HomeNugget

HomeNugget

It's the Bishop!

• Gold Booster
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

for me its wings, lions, tigers, pistons. in detroit its lions, tigers, pistons, red wings. the lions will always be the most popular. can you imagine what it would be like if the lions made it to the super bowl? everyone would go crazy. it would make the summer of '67 look like a bon fire.

#55 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(HomeNugget @ July 22, 2007 - 02:38PM) View Post

can you imagine what it would be like if the lions made it to the super bowl? everyone would go crazy. it would make the summer of '67 look like a bon fire.

Exactly. If all 4 teams were on equal footing, only the true diehards would pay much attention to the Wings, Pistons and Tigers. The Lions would completely dominate the sports scene... Detroit is a football city, Michigan a football state first and foremost.