• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Forsberg vs. Fedorov

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

It's all gravy. Not giving a s*** what others think is good to a certian extent in my book. The offending them part, eh, not so much my thing but hey who am I to say?

Eh, believe it or not we do agree on a few things, Feds over Forsberg, I agree with this you said from another thread....

"If i'm reading this correctly, I agree. I love the Drake signing. However, Avery would be nice but only at a fair price and frankly, the market is so f-ed up "fair price" doesn't exist."

And for the record, I can't stand Avery, think he's a loud mouth prick. But would love to see him on the wings for around 2 mil. Think he'd be a great fit. See I even fit into the "Holy Grail" catogory you've been searching for. :D

HA! Now I just need to find somebody who can stand Fedorov but is impartial enough to realize he's still a good player and then I can officially add a 6th type to my BS list. :D

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I'd prefer Forsberg over Fedorov

Both are skilled, clutch players. Both are not nearly the player that they once were.

Forsberg addresses more of a need for the wings that Fedorov does at this point though.

Forsberg would also be available around December, where Fedorov wouldn't be available until the trade deadline. I'd rather add a major player sooner rather than later simply for team chemistry.

What it comes down to for me is attutude and ability. Forsberg's only downside is his injury history, his numbers (when playing) are still comparable to those in the past. As I illustrated in another thread, Forsberg has only missed 16 out of a possible 160 playoff games in his career, and 11 of those were from the ruptured spleen (which is not an injury that can happen again). He may miss in the regular season, but like Mario, in the playoffs he is there.

Fedorov on the other hand has had a significant drop in his numbers. Nothing seems to spark him anymore. Perhaps a return to Detroit would do this, but seeing as how he wanted out of here so bad to begin with, I just don't see that happening. I admit that I haven't watched a whole lot of games with Feds since he left here, but the few that I have seen really showed that his play has seriously dropped. He always did seem to float at times, but (again based on the few games that I've watched) now it is more like he hustles at times and floats most of the time.

I'd prefer a player that is going to hustle, but might get hurt over a player that will likely stay healthy, but probably won't hustle...

well, i'd still take Feds because he's more complete IMO. However, if Forsberg wasn't a walking injury waiting too happen and we had another top 4 dman (Tom Priessing dammit!) and offense was what we needed i'd go for Forsberg. That is the only condition under which i'd take forsberg over sergei. Of course the fact that he's been so injury plagued makes it about impossible for me to ever believe he'd go healthy for an entire season. That being the case its enough for me to give Feds the nod.

FYI-Centers I would take before Fedorov for any number of reasons including but not limited to them being better, younger, cheaper, etc... Of course many of these guys aren't nearly as good defensively or have the complete skill set that Feds ONCE possessed and still does to a lesser degree but i'm trading alot of that for his ridiculous salary and his age.

I'm borrowing this from NHL.com, eliminating any current Wings and players I think suck

Crosby

Thornton

Lecavalier

Sakic

Savard

Briere

Jokinen

Spezza

Malkin

BrindAmour

Sedin

Camalleri

Marleau

Stastny

MacDonald

Sundin

Staal

Straka

Richards

Bergeron

Drury

Elias

Legwand

Roy

Parise

Horton

Kopitar

Gomez

Getzlaf

Hecht

Arnott

Fisher

Boyes

Jordan Staal

Wellwood

Prucha

Stoll

Jeff Carter

Steen

Feds

So you guys are right, after further analysis and numbers aside, I still think he's probably up there in the top 60 without question. However, that doesn't mean i'd rather see him centering the 2nd line versus a Getzlaf or Brad Richards, Cammaleri or Patty Bergeron.

Ok, so you would rather have a young, first-line one-dimensional offensive center playing on your second line than an older two-way center who is no longer first-line material based on offense alone. That's reasonable. I don't necessarily agree, but wanted a first line offensive center over a two-way center is not unheard of.

EDIT: And your statement about the skill set Fedorov ONCE possessed? There is not a single guy on your list who is as complete and as good at everything as Fedorov was at his best. Nobody. The closest thing the NHL has to Fedorov in his prime right now is Henrik Zetterberg.

Edited by eva unit zero

HA! Now I just need to find somebody who can stand Fedorov but is impartial enough to realize he's still a good player and then I can officially add a 6th type to my BS list. :D

...I've always supported Fedorov. I have never booed him or cursed his name for leaving. He is good enough to come back to Detroit and step into the #2 center position with Flips and Grigs on his wing. The only issue I have is will Babcock be able to stand him? Will he use him correctly? I hear rumors that they didn't get along well in Anaheim. Oh well, in the end this is Ilitches team and if he says get Feds, then get him. I'd just assume that Babcock lose his job and Larionov become head coach, but that is a whole other thread/subject...

Ferderov would also be the cheaper of the two choices by the time we would be able to aquire either of them.

Forsberg is still too young for an incentive laden contract and is still looking by all accounts to be looking for $3.5mil+ a season... or should I say the playoffs given his history?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Ok, so you would rather have a young, first-line one-dimensional offensive center playing on your second line than an older two-way center who is no longer first-line material based on offense alone. That's reasonable. I don't necessarily agree, but wanted a first line offensive center over a two-way center is not unheard of.

EDIT: And your statement about the skill set Fedorov ONCE possessed? There is not a single guy on your list who is as complete and as good at everything as Fedorov was at his best. Nobody. The closest thing the NHL has to Fedorov in his prime right now is Henrik Zetterberg.

I never said any of these guys were as complete as him in his prime or for that matter even now. I specifically stated i'd take them for reasons such as offensive prowess, salary, age, potential, etc....

so what's your beef