• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Andy Sutton to the Islanders

Rate this topic

I would have loved to have Sutton here because of his size and physicality. Yes, he's not as physical as he should be, but still a lot more aggressive than anyone on our blue-line. As for his fighting ability, that had nothing to do with me wanting him here. I mean come on, the guy lost to Vinny Lecavalier of all people.

Lilja isn't that far behind Sutton in ability.

Markov is better than Sutton. Sutton signed for about what Markov wants. As far as playing style..we have NOBODY who plays like Markov. Markov is a good skating, physical, defensively skilled defenseman. Who else fits that bill. Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Chelios, Lilja, or Lebda? None of those guys puts all three of those attributes together the way Markov does. Markov is the best defenseman left on the market (and was when Sutton was still available) and would help this team. He is worth 3m to 3.5m, the question is whether Holland feels it is more important to use that space on Markov, or to save that space for a potential deadline acquisition.

Markov is not physical. For God sakes, what are you watching?

Just because he laid one big hit out the entire season all of a sudden makes him physical? I don't get this logic at all.

The only reason people think Markov is physical is that he the most physical player we've had in forever. But still, that doesn't make him physical. Just because he's more physical then our current defense doesn't make him any of that, becuase our current defense is pretty weak physically by nature.

He is not worth 3.5 million. What are you basing his worth off of?

...and for the record, I wouldn't have payed Sutton 3 million either. He was overpayed, yes. But I'd still rather have him over Markov.

...and for the record, I wouldn't have payed Sutton 3 million either. He was overpayed, yes. But I'd still rather have him over Markov.

That's fine and all but Sutton isn't really that physical either, I just think some people are infatuated with him being 6'6.

That's fine and all but Sutton isn't really that physical either, I just think some people are infatuated with him being 6'6.

He used to be very physical. I don't know why he hasn't been in recent years. Something tells me it's the coaching staff in Atlanta.

Why do I say that? Take a look at Shane Hnidy and Eric Boulton. They both used to hit and fight people all the time, like Sutton did in his days in Minnesota. Now, both of them have gone soft also. I really think the coaching staff in Atlanta is the reason why these players aren't physical anymore.

I thought about it, and figured Sutton coming here might get his physical game back. But then again, that's a very debateable question.

Markov is not physical. For God sakes, what are you watching?

Just because he laid one big hit out the entire season all of a sudden makes him physical? I don't get this logic at all.

The only reason people think Markov is physical is that he the most physical player we've had in forever. But still, that doesn't make him physical. Just because he's more physical then our current defense doesn't make him any of that, becuase our current defense is pretty weak physically by nature.

He is not worth 3.5 million. What are you basing his worth off of?

I thought Markov was physical before he ever played for Detroit, and I felt he probably could have earned 3m or more when he first signed with Detroit. Markov played above expectations with the Wings, and had one of his better years in recent memory. This would generally suggest a raise is far from a crazy request. Markov played further above expectations than, say, Schneider did...and Schneider's salary nearly doubled. Markov would have to get around 4.4 to match Schneider's percentage increase.