285 replies to this topic

#281 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (auxlepli @ January 1, 2008 - 08:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it was the fourth game in six days. Not that that should be an excuse, but it's understandable the Wings were flat. Still it's another Central Division loss. Usually the Wings dominate Central Division foes. What's been the difference this year? It doesn't seem logical for it to just be a coincidence. Maybe it is though with tail ends of back-to-backs, etc.

It might just be that the Central is more talented this year. Standings may not show it, but they've got a right to feel like they should be higher in the standings. And the WIngs are a big target.

That felt a little like a playoff game and I hope that the WIngs can figure out how to win in situations like that. The third period was the worst hockey I've seen them play this season.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#282 Lady in REd

Lady in REd

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (VM1138 @ January 2, 2008 - 12:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It might just be that the Central is more talented this year. Standings may not show it, but they've got a right to feel like they should be higher in the standings. And the WIngs are a big target.

That felt a little like a playoff game and I hope that the WIngs can figure out how to win in situations like that. The third period was the worst hockey I've seen them play this season.

True that, I've been thinking around the same lines. And yes, the Wings are a big target and have had rougher times in their division this year but we really can't blame them for this one. I don't necessarily think its a matter of figuring out how to deal with situations as this one, it was given this was going to be a difficult game. Missing some star players, coming off the road and the tight game schedule of the past games had to of made this one really tough. But we'll get it next time, can't play amazing every game, smile.gif

#283 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (auxlepli @ January 2, 2008 - 01:51AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it was the fourth game in six days. Not that that should be an excuse, but it's understandable the Wings were flat.

I've heard a few of you say this.
You guys do realize it was the Blues 4th game in 6 days as well, right?
There was no advantage for the Blues in that respect.

Still it's another Central Division loss. Usually the Wings dominate Central Division foes. What's been the difference this year? It doesn't seem logical for it to just be a coincidence. Maybe it is though with tail ends of back-to-backs, etc.

Or...call me crazy...but maybe, just maybe, some of the Central division teams got a little better.
I do believe other teams besides Detroit are capable of improving once in a while...but maybe that's just me.

#284 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (cprice12 @ January 2, 2008 - 02:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or...call me crazy...but maybe, just maybe, some of the Central division teams got a little better.
I do believe other teams besides Detroit are capable of improving once in a while...but maybe that's just me.

Has somebody claimed anything to the contrary?

#285 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (CopenhagenWing @ January 2, 2008 - 03:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has somebody claimed anything to the contrary?

as I recall, cprice is a proud Blues fan, who at least has something to be proud of this season. The Blues have definitely improved over the last year.

And for what it's worth, I agree with him, that the Blues had every right to be "tired" from games and travel, too. They were the better team NYE, and the Wings didn't step up in their own barn to close out the year with a win.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#286 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Losses to the Blues in December dont bother me,lets worry when they they actually make the playoffs and beat us then.