• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

The 2008 Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

I love how people think because he didn't add a foward that Holland didn't know that they were stuggling with the offense. Yes because you know more than the GM of the Detroit Red Wings. Again this is not xbox or ps2/3 where you pick up who you want. I'm glad he didn't bet the farm on a rental. And just because Meech and Ericsson have played pretty good doesn't mean the Wings were ready fort hem to step in during the playoffs. Just wait till the playoffs people. Feb 26th is not the day the Cup is awarded. If the Wings don't win the cup they still have a good team that they can add to with the money they have for next year. I would rather see this team good for a long time then give up a lot for a "big run" now.

That is such a straw man argument it is disgusting. No one is claiming that they know more the Holland, they are though pointing out the fact that the man repeatedly told us and the team that we were saving up to grab a top 6 forward at the deadline. When we were starting the new year it was becoming clear that we needed some help in the secondary point production aspect of our lineup, he had plenty of time to do his thing and he didn't.

" would rather see this team good for a long time then give up a lot for a "big run" now."

Well then how many years are you content with failing in the playoffs before you are willing to make a move that will actually have some shade of benefit behind it. Good lord, quite a few teams landed new additions that brought offensive prowess today, they didn't "give up their future" So please, stop with you finger wagging.

Sounds good. Probably throw in that he feels with the team that they have they can still compete. Which is true to an extent, but whatever, not adding anyone to a lackluster offense is ridiculous. The injuries make it even more apparent that the O is a problem.

I know when I get off at 5 the beer I have at home is going to taste damn good.

I realize that this deadline could have been a hell of a lot better, and I realize Kenny may have dropped the ball, and I realize that we've been in a monster rut as of late. But I still have a problem referring to the team with the most goals in the Western Conference to have a lackluster offense.

With that said, if this team can't get back to that level that we were playing at earlier in the season (I don't feel like checking exactly what period it was), where we were winning literally almost ALL THE TIME, then we won't get far. But THIS team have played at a level in which they can beat any team, any day.

I realize that this deadline could have been a hell of a lot better, and I realize Kenny may have dropped the ball, and I realize that we've been in a monster rut as of late. But I still have a problem referring to the team with the most goals in the Western Conference to have a lackluster offense.

With that said, if this team can't get back to that level that we were playing at earlier in the season (I don't feel like checking exactly what period it was), where we were winning literally almost ALL THE TIME, then we won't get far. But THIS team have played at a level in which they can beat any team, any day.

I agree. However, I'm still a bit concerned about our depth up front. Who's to say that Cleary isn't still feeling affects from his injury? He might get shellshocked for all we know.

And what about Hanks back? I'm sure he'll play through anything, but if he's not 100% that hurts us bigtime.

Like sticknmove said, I'm more upset that he didn't get a top 6 forward before the season began, saved up $5M worth of Cap space and then did absolutely nothing to address it.

I think Kenny's on the hotseat right now. The Joe is empty, the Wings haven't won in 6 years and we just 'saved' $5M for no reason at all. I hope the Wings can prove him right and many of us here, including me, wrong.

I agree. However, I'm still a bit concerned about our depth up front. Who's to say that Cleary isn't still feeling affects from his injury? He might get shellshocked for all we know.

And what about Hanks back? I'm sure he'll play through anything, but if he's not 100% that hurts us bigtime.

Like sticknmove said, I'm more upset that he didn't get a top 6 forward before the season began, saved up $5M worth of Cap space and then did absolutely nothing to address it.

I think Kenny's on the hotseat right now. The Joe is empty, the Wings haven't won in 6 years and we just 'saved' $5M for no reason at all. I hope the Wings can prove him right and many of us here, including me, wrong.

my thoughts EXACTLY :thumbup:

completely wasted cap space...

Edited by ShanahanMan

Prospal should have been on our team, but look at the bright side.

We really are on top of the league in talent from player one to player 50. We are not going to lose anyone now, and we now will have bullets for next year!

wish i had your optimism.

Ya, your not gonna get an argument from me. I actually was questioning the move (or lack there of) way before the deadline. In a world of pro-rated cap space, there is absolutely NO need for $5 million dollar cap space. Even if you were to add the, what, $20 mil in pro-rated salary in rentals, you'd literally give up the entire farm and the future for it, with no hope of resigning everyone. Damn, I'm now wishing I had started a thread to that extent earlier this month so that I don't sound like a Monday moring quarterback.

But like I wrote in another thread, Dallas and San Jose had to make their moves to get closer to Anaheim and US (when healthy). And they both made the playing field a lot more level. But I sure as hell am not prepared to say that this makes them better teams than us, as I thought it was quite clear that we are superior to them when we were healthy. The West playoffs is gonna come down to breaks now. If Hank is suffering with his back, and Cleary is still feeling some ill effects, I can't see us getting past the second round. However, the same thing goes for every other team. Every team as injury proned players, so we just have to hope that we get some breaks this year, not Anaheim, San Jose, or Dallas.

Lets Go WIngs!

Ya, your not gonna get an argument from me. I actually was questioning the move (or lack there of) way before the deadline. In a world of pro-rated cap space, there is absolutely NO need for $5 million dollar cap space. Even if you were to add the, what, $20 mil in pro-rated salary in rentals, you'd literally give up the entire farm and the future for it, with no hope of resigning everyone. Damn, I'm now wishing I had started a thread to that extent earlier this month so that I don't sound like a Monday moring quarterback.

But like I wrote in another thread, Dallas and San Jose had to make their moves to get closer to Anaheim and US (when healthy). And they both made the playing field a lot more level. But I sure as hell am not prepared to say that this makes them better teams than us, as I thought it was quite clear that we are superior to them when we were healthy. The West playoffs is gonna come down to breaks now. If Hank is suffering with his back, and Cleary is still feeling some ill effects, I can't see us getting past the second round. However, the same thing goes for every other team. Every team as injury proned players, so we just have to hope that we get some breaks this year, not Anaheim, San Jose, or Dallas.

Lets Go WIngs!

Well, the teams to beat are still Detroit and Anaheim.

Let's compare teams briefly, shall we?

Sure, Colorado and Dallas picked up some talent, but let's look at the fact:

Detroit is still more of an offensive threat than Anaheim, Dallas, or Colorado, even with their new players.

Detroit is tied with Anaheim, or beats them for having the best Defense. Lidstrom, Rafalski and Stuart easily match Neidermeyer, Pronger, and Schneider. No one else comes close on defense.

Detroit has the experience and the work ethic to pull out close victories. Dallas cannot close the deal in games, Colorado just can't seem to get it together against the Wings no matter who they have, and Anaheim comes closest in skill, but still relies on lucky breaks in order to beat us.

Detroit=still the team to beat, even if the margin isn't as wide as it was yesterday.