• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frederick9125

would you?

Rate this topic

z isn't a top 5 player in the league. ovechkin is an actual god and lidstrom will retire soon so its basically z for green and ovechkin. sick....

The only defenseman this season who has been better than Z is Lids. Z has been one of the three best forwards in the league. So unless you are saying that two of the top five players this year have been goalies...which with the close race for Vezina would mean seven of the top ten or twelve players are goalies, then Z is a top five player this season.

The Wings would be trading two elite level talents AND a first rounder, including the league's best player, for one elite level talent and one decent one-way defenseman.

No thank you.

z isn't a top 5 player in the league. ovechkin is an actual god and lidstrom will retire soon so its basically z for green and ovechkin. sick....

That's what I am thinking. Lids is great, bit we can all see the game slowly getting out of his skates. Z is awesome, but not Ovie awesome.

I'd make this trade, IF Lids was cool with it. If not, then I'd pass.

The Wings would be trading two elite level talents AND a first rounder, including the league's best player, for one elite level talent and one decent one-way defenseman.

No thank you.

Here's how I see it- Nick is done in 2 years. Love him, followed him, have the jersey- but done in two years. Z is awesome- love him, follow him, have the jersey yet again.

BUT...

Ovie is goals for the next decade. Paired with Dats... well... that's insane.

Green = a 1st rounder in my book.

Like I said, I would do it, with Nick's blessing.

lidstrom would not have to be cool w/ the trade for it to go down. ovie is one of a kind and you do anything you can to get him IMO. losing lidstrom and Z would most likely be enough cap space saved to keep ovie. If not just waive maltby hes worthless anyhow.

I think some of you are missing the real point, lets take a look back on memory lane last month when Lids was out with an injury. What happened???? That's right we were terrible Lids is one if not the key ingrediant to this team. Green will never come close to matching what Lids does. Yes Alexander is truly amazing but Zetterberg like many said plays a game called defence.

Here's how I see it- Nick is done in 2 years. Love him, followed him, have the jersey- but done in two years. Z is awesome- love him, follow him, have the jersey yet again.

BUT...

Ovie is goals for the next decade. Paired with Dats... well... that's insane.

Green = a 1st rounder in my book.

Like I said, I would do it, with Nick's blessing.

I wouldn't trade Lids and Z for Ovechkin. They bring more offense combined than Ovechkin does by himself. They EACH bring more defense than Ovechkin does. Ovechkin is average defensively....Nick and Hank are elite defensively. Even if they were both average defensively, I would have to think long and hard about trading BOTH for anyone, even Ovechkin.

Guest QuackQuack
I think some of you are missing the real point, lets take a look back on memory lane last month when Lids was out with an injury. What happened???? That's right we were terrible Lids is one if not the key ingrediant to this team. Green will never come close to matching what Lids does. Yes Alexander is truly amazing but Zetterberg like many said plays a game called defence.

Ive been lurking for a while and ive seen this "arguement" come up. Lidstrom was injured and we did terrible. BUT he wasn't the only guy out of the lineup. Rafalski, Holmstrom, Chelios, and Cleary were all out too.

Lidstrom is great but too many of you ignore his off games, which happen a lot more rarely then you guys like to admit. If Rafalski gets burned it'll be discussed for ten pages but if Lidstrom does its not even worth discussion. I would argue that Datsyuk has been our most consistent player for the last two seasons followed closely by Lidstrom and then Zetterberg.

Zetterberg being one of the best defenseman in the league? :rolleyes:

Hes not even the best defensive forward on this team.

I woudl also like to add in the fact that Yzerman was nearly traded in 93 for Daigle. And Daigle, while talented wasn't anything close to Lindros or Selanne. The Wings would have absolutely traded Yzerman for either player. Hell, then even offered Fedorov, Lidstrom and a boat load of picks for Lindros' rights.

Edited by QuackQuack

Ive been lurking for a while and ive seen this "arguement" come up. Lidstrom was injured and we did terrible. BUT he wasn't the only guy out of the lineup. Rafalski, Holmstrom, Chelios, and Cleary were all out too.

Lidstrom is great but too many of you ignore his off games, which happen a lot more rarely then you guys like to admit. If Rafalski gets burned it'll be discussed for ten pages but if Lidstrom does its not even worth discussion. I would argue that Datsyuk has been our most consistent player for the last two seasons followed closely by Lidstrom and then Zetterberg.

Zetterberg being one of the best defenseman in the league? :rolleyes:

Hes not even the best defensive forward on this team.

I woudl also like to add in the fact that Yzerman was nearly traded in 93 for Daigle. And Daigle, while talented wasn't anything close to Lindros or Selanne. The Wings would have absolutely traded Yzerman for either player. Hell, then even offered Fedorov, Lidstrom and a boat load of picks for Lindros' rights.

Yzerman wasn't nearly traded for Daigle, and it wasn't 1993. Yzerman was nearly traded to Ottawa in 1995 for Stan Neckar and a draft pick..which would have been even worse. But the thing is..he WASN'T traded. And Lindros was one of the most dominant players the league has ever seen when he was healthy. Had he not has concussion issues, he might be a top ten all-time scorer overall by now. At the time of the Lindros trade, Lidstrom was coming off his rookie season, and Fedorov was coming off his second year. As good as Lidstrom is, at the time he was probably the fourth best defenseman on the team defensively, and the Wings could have afforded to give up his offense at that time as the offense was primarily routed through Yzerman. In hindsight, any of the proposed deals for Lindros look bad. But had Lindros remained the same kind of healthy that Lidstrom or Fedorov did? He would have won SEVERAL Hart trophies. Had Lidstrom and Fedorov been the injury prone players and Lindros the bastion of health...that trade might have been looked at as a fair deal.

And the question wasn't would the Wings have traded Yzerman for Selanne. My question was would the POSTER have made that deal, because that was the closest comparison to Z/Ovie.

why dont u retards get this?? Lidstrom is retiring in 2 years max!! Whether we traded him for Ovechkin or not, he's still leaving in 2 years. We will have to figure out a way to win without him, and if Washington was really offering this deal we would be retarded to not trade Lidstrom and lose him for nothing in 2 years. We're going to have to figure out a way to win w/out him anyways and although Green is nowhere near Lidstroms skill level, he would still help our defense out, some help we will need in 2 years when Lidstrom is gone. Thats why I say esentially this trade would be Z for Ovie and Green which is a god damn steal. Case closed.

First off this deal would never happened, but it's fun to think so. So props to you on that one.

But to answer the question of the thread, no. I'd just wait until Lidstrom retired, and Zetterberg reestablishes himself even more. A guy like Ovechkin wouldn't fit on our team. As fun as it'd be to watch him play, our team is perfect without "that next great player", and we've proved that for 17 consecutive years.

You sure spek with authority that Nick will retire in 2 years. Where did you get that information?

AO - The trade is, to me, ridiculous. The Caps need a gate draw and AO is it. Hank and Nick don't bring the same flair to the game. Heck, the only trade they might think about is Pavel AND Hank for AO. that said, Nick is the new face ot his franchise and Pavel and Hank are growing into the next face ot his franchise. They wont be dealt, neither team will do this and, for the record, I don't consider any poster a retard.

Guest QuackQuack
Lidstrom is 38... and his contract will expire... there's no chance in him resigning.

Lidstrom could play till 50 if he felt the need. We've seen no indication that he wants to retire at the end of this contract. As a matter of fact, he could still be making 5+ million for the next seven years if he wanted. The way he plays the game will allow him to have a long lengthy career continuing into his forties if he wants.

I think hes overrated by this fan base and a lot of fans around the league but theres no doubt in my mind that hes the number one defenseman in the league. I also can't see any other prospect or current wing on this team that can take over what he does. Ericcsson, Kindl and Smith are all great prospects and Kronwall is coming into his own but they're not even close.

The only way I can see Lidstrom retiring at the end of this contract is if the Wings win the cup, possibly twice. With THAT much money on the table, he would be insane to retire.

Guest QuackQuack
insane to retire? you act like he needs the money!! he's played this game for a long time and that takes a toll on you. he will retire. count it.

Toll on him? Hes going to be hitting the lottery for the next seven years working six months out of the year. You're acting like hes working for minimum wage. :rolleyes:

Any player, making that kind of cash, with the ability to keep playing will. I don't care how much a "toll" it takes on you, cashing a $150,000 check every couple weeks makes things that much better.

Guest QuackQuack
im sure spending time w/ his family and helping raise his kids may be more important to him at this point in his career rather than making a few more million which he doesn't need.

His kids are almost through highschool.... and his family lives in Detroit. Lidstrom can make more money over the next seven years then his kids and their kids could ever dream to make.

His kids are almost through highschool.... and his family lives in Detroit. Lidstrom can make more money over the next seven years then his kids and their kids could ever dream to make.

What if his kids are as good as him at hockey? Realistically, that would mean they can make more than that...with inflation and all.

Guest QuackQuack
What if his kids are as good as him at hockey? Realistically, that would mean they can make more than that...with inflation and all.

His kids are in highschool, in the hockey hot bed of the States. If they aren't playing for the U18 national team, the potential of them being marquee $7 million dollar players is pretty slim. Sure theres always the chance and I would bet that if they put together a strong college career that they would be drafted on their name alone but ive seen no indication that we'll be seeing another Lidstrom in the HHOF anytime soon.

His kids are in highschool, in the hockey hot bed of the States. If they aren't playing for the U18 national team, the potential of them being marquee $7 million dollar players is pretty slim. Sure theres always the chance and I would bet that if they put together a strong college career that they would be drafted on their name alone but ive seen no indication that we'll be seeing another Lidstrom in the HHOF anytime soon.

Kevin is 14. Adam is 12. Even if they ARE the next 'Greatest player ever' they wouldn't be on the US U18 team at that age.

I repeat; Lidstrom's oldest son has just ENTERED high school. His kids are not 'about to finish high school' as you have been saying.

Guest QuackQuack
Kevin is 14. Adam is 12. Even if they ARE the next 'Greatest player ever' they wouldn't be on the US U18 team at that age.

I repeat; Lidstrom's oldest son has just ENTERED high school. His kids are not 'about to finish high school' as you have been saying.

Let me know when they get accepted to play hockey for Shattuck, then i'll worry about the Lidstrom kids invading the NHL.

Let me know when they get accepted to play hockey for Shattuck, then i'll worry about the Lidstrom kids invading the NHL.

Because as we all know, the only good hockey players to ever come from the US played for Shattuck.

You do realize that the only player who as of yet has been able to claim elite player status, who has also played for Shattuck-St.Mary's, is Sidney Crosby?

The other notable alumni, hockey-wise:

Zach Parise

Jack Johnson

Jonathan Toews

Ryan Malone

Joe Corvo

Beyond that, there are a coupld highly touted prospects but nobody who has made an impact at the NHL level.

Certainly seems like the place is a requirement for any potential hockey star, right?

Hell, the University of Michigan has had on its roster more impact NHLers in the past fifteen years than Shattuck has in its HISTORY. Mike Comrie, Mike Cammalleri, Mike Van Ryn, Marty Turco, Mike Komisarek (wow, a lot of Mikes in this list), Steve Shields, Brendan Morrison, Mike Knuble, and more.

Nobody acts like playing for UM is some sort of guarantee or any kind of requirement for future hockey success.

st marys is sweet but in no way does it gurantee you nhl success. lidstroms kids are still young and im sure he will want to spend some time with them when his contract expires. the end of the argument is lidstrom will retire when his contracts up and then this hypotheticla dael would be a steal for the wings. the caps will never do ita nyways so its a silly thread... but fun to debate it.