• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

The Let's Hear it for Datsyuk Thread!

Rate this topic

And I state again...if the team lost Dats (or Z, for that matter) for the entire season...they would feel it, but they would survive. If they lost Lids, that would be much more significant.

I feel Dats and Z are pretty close in terms of value to the team...

I agree 100%!!!

That second line about them being close in terms of value is a little wrong too me, I think if it is Dats that is out for the time Z was out, Z carries the team the way Dats did. I think they offer the same value to the team. Now not saying they are the same player, but in terms of being team first, top notch players on both ends of the ice, on all speciality teams, so on and so forth. I just never was able to come up with a good way to describe those sentiments.

That was until Eva put up this post, in terms of what they are worth to the team they both in my mind the two most important forwards on the team, with no seperation. These two are going to be phenomenal players for years to come. I am just glad they are on the wings!!

Great post Eva!

I agree that Dats and Z are BOTH on the second tier of the MVP race, Lids is the man, will win another Norris trophy this year, and if the cards fall right will be the first Euro captain to win the cup!!

And I state again...if the team lost Dats (or Z, for that matter) for the entire season...they would feel it, but they would survive. If they lost Lids, that would be much more significant.

I feel Dats and Z are pretty close in terms of value to the team...and obviously the team has gone stretches without each player (Z more often) i nthe lineup with fairly little trouble in the past couple years.

Lidstrom is almost never out of the lineup, so it's hard to gauge how the team handles his absence when it never happens. But the entire offensive and defensive scheme revolve around Lidstrom and his skills. Even the other defensemen on the team ,they are acquired because they have the right kind of skills to play in a system designed to funnel through Nick Lidstrom and allow the team to still be effective when Lidstrom isn't on the ice. It's one of the reasons guys like Hatcher and Krupp had so much less success than Murphy, Duchesne, and Schneider. The latter group is much more capable of playing the same kind of puck-possession style the Wings use, and the Wings use that style largely due to Lidstrom.

This season, I would rate Lidstrom in the top four for MVP, along with Ovechkin, Malkin, and Brodeur. The next tier of guys would include Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Iginla, Luongo, Alfredsson, Kovalev, and Lundqvist, among others.

I know you state this same thing every 5 threads or so, I get it man. I understand that you think I shoudl agree with you but no matter how many times you state it my view will not change. Bottom line it is how I feel and I think others do to. Dats was the most valuable player of this season...

Detroit has not gone with out Datsyuk for two straight seasons now, not sure when he missed time but he played every single game this season and is on something like 180 consectutive games.

Again my top four would be 1. AO 2. Malkin 3. Datsyuk 4. Brody 5. Lids

I don;t expect you to agree with me. It is just my opinion.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I know you state this same thing every 5 threads or so, I get it man. I understand that you think I shoudl agree with you but no matter how many times you state it my view will not change. Bottom line it is how I feel and I think others do to. Dats was the most valuable player of this season...

Detroit has not gone with out Datsyuk for two straight seasons now, not sure when he missed time but he played every single game this season and is on something like 180 consectutive games.

Again my top four would be 1. AO 2. Malkin 3. Datsyuk 4. Brody 5. Lids

I don;t expect you to agree with me. It is just my opinion.

I'm sort of on the fence on the Lids vs Dats vs Z is MVP of the Wings. Eva, especially likes to put Z right at and for the longest time ahead of Dats. He's only recently started to level them out. But Eva has always insisted Lids is the most valuable. It is hard to argue that.

But, this season I think you could argue that.

Given full rosters and no other players out due to injury, IMO, a defense without Lids but with Rafalski, Kronwall, Chelios, Lebda, Lilja would fare better than an offense without Datsyuk.

I'm taking Z completely out of the running because in my mind, Datsyuk is just better. You can pretty much put Pavel with anyone and he'll make them better or he'll just score the damned goals himself.

Z isn't as good at making everyone around him better at least not compared to Dats IMO. IMO, Z relies much more on Datsyuk than Datsyuk relies on Z therefore in my mind he cannot be more valuable than Dats.

So its a hard question to answer but I think this season is probably the closest you could find in recent memory where Nick was not the clear cut MVP of the Wings.

I'm sort of on the fence on the Lids vs Dats vs Z is MVP of the Wings. Eva, especially likes to put Z right at and for the longest time ahead of Dats. He's only recently started to level them out. But Eva has always insisted Lids is the most valuable. It is hard to argue that.

But, this season I think you could argue that.

Given full rosters and no other players out due to injury, IMO, a defense without Lids but with Rafalski, Kronwall, Chelios, Lebda, Lilja would fare better than an offense without Datsyuk.

I'm taking Z completely out of the running because in my mind, Datsyuk is just better. You can pretty much put Pavel with anyone and he'll make them better or he'll just score the damned goals himself.

Z isn't as good at making everyone around him better at least not compared to Dats IMO. IMO, Z relies much more on Datsyuk than Datsyuk relies on Z therefore in my mind he cannot be more valuable than Dats.

So its a hard question to answer but I think this season is probably the closest you could find in recent memory where Nick was not the clear cut MVP of the Wings.

Well put and I totally agree. Good points all around!

After last nights game and the way he played I wanted to bump this thread.

I chose this one because the theme from the beginning was supposed to be that we are not knocking Z when we praise Dats. I am not sure why I feel the need to type that I think Z is great when I say Dats does something good, why is it?

Anyway, after watching him last night he looks like he is primed to take over this team. Yeah sure it is Lids team right now, because he is the captain. But I think after this post season we will be saying it is Dats team more often. Offensively he carried the team. That 5 -hole goal was a thing of beauty! For some reason, Dats is the only one that noticed how aggressive Ellis has been. He faked the shot (even though the announcers think he was "gathering the puck") Ellis went down, and as Ellis tried to get back up Ducksoup fires a twisted wrister right under his pads.

He was laying the body to people, granted he isn't a thunderous hitter so he wasn't lighting guys up, but hitting hard and often nonetheless.

He was on the first PK unit Babs sent out most of the time, logged 5-3 pk minutes, was forechecking and backchecking like a mother.

I really like what we are seeing from Dats as he matures into a great all around player. He may have had a tough time in the post season before, but he is definitely more comfortable in the second season these last two times around.

Edit:

No need to dog on anyone in this post, trying to keep things positive!

Edited by Opie

Guest GordieSid&Ted
After last nights game and the way he played I wanted to bump this thread.

I chose this one because the theme from the beginning was supposed to be that we are not knocking Z when we praise Dats. I am not sure why I feel the need to type that I think Z is great when I say Dats does something good, why is it?

Anyway, after watching him last night he looks like he is primed to take over this team. Yeah sure it is Lids team right now, because he is the captain. But I think after this post season we will be saying it is Dats team more often. Offensively he carried the team. That 5 -hole goal was a thing of beauty! For some reason, Dats is the only one that noticed how aggressive Ellis has been. He faked the shot (even though the announcers think he was "gathering the puck") Ellis went down, and as Ellis tried to get back up Ducksoup fires a twisted wrister right under his pads.

He was laying the body to people, granted he isn't a thunderous hitter so he wasn't lighting guys up, but hitting hard and often nonetheless.

He was on the first PK unit Babs sent out most of the time, logged 5-3 pk minutes, was forechecking and backchecking like a mother.

I really like what we are seeing from Dats as he matures into a great all around player. He may have had a tough time in the post season before, but he is definitely more comfortable in the second season these last two times around.

Edit:

No need to dog on anyone in this post, trying to keep things positive!

Dat's first goal was absolutely about him suckering Ellis into being overly aggressive. He outwaited Ellis and simply whipped it through him. That's the kind of thing not many players are able to do in such a tight situation, in close quarters. Dats has zero panic level and he showed it there again. He's simply the most gifted guy I think I've ever seen. He sees the ice better than anyone IMO, and that goes for everyone who has ever played the game. Stick Datsyuk on a team in the 80's and he's a 140 point guy in his sleep.

As for us losing the last 2 games, I chalk it up to my quirky superstition. Games 1 and 2 I got my jersey on right before the drop of the puck, got to watch the game in its entirety and the Wings won. Game 3 I had a softball game, had to tivo the hockey game and what happens, we lose. Game 4 we get the versus f***up and miss most of the first period and we lose.

I don't care if a tornado rips through my neighborhood on Friday. I will be parked in front of the tube, jersey on and prepared for my playoff ritual, and we will win.

It has nothing to do with Hasek (who by the way I think should still start, especially after the last 2 outings I think he's going to bring it) or shooting the puck right into Ellis' chest or getting lucky calls or bounces (by the way how Martin Erat didn't get a penalty for jumping up and two fisting Rafs in the face I have no idea...that should have been a power play for us and down by 1 goal at a crucial time in the game. As it stood we did not get another PP anytime after that. That was a blown call and an obvious one) or not working hard enough, etc...

It's all about our quirky playoff rituals! Whatever it is you do, do it in earnest on Friday b/c that will be the difference! :D

I don't care if a tornado rips through my neighborhood on Friday. I will be parked in front of the tube, jersey on and prepared for my playoff ritual, and we will win.

:lol:

Like I said before all through last off season, season and before the playoffs when i was branded a "slappy" and my personal favorite "Datsyuk apologist" I'll continue to let his play do the talking.

Even though he's still a byng candidate, the thing that stands out most to me is how much he's toughened up. He used to never push back in scrums and stuff, but now he does. He takes checks and he throws them, backchecking and hardwork is something I consider tough as well.

2nd in the league in assists, leader in takeaways. One of not only the best 2-way players in the game, but one of the best.

I was thinking the same thing! Last night the announcers were saying how Dats and Zet weren't considered the tougher guys but then everytime I saw a scuffle, Dats was in the middle of it. He was not talking crap from anyone, and he avoided that HUGE hit the 3rd period and sent that preds defenseman spinning! (couldn't remember which guy it was...) I thought he was playing with alot of passion and he just is so smart, can sense everthing.

Did you guys see, well obviously you saw it not sure if it registered with you guys like me, but when time was winding down and he was in the corners how he just stuck his ass out between him and the defenders to keep them off of the puck and was able to make plays and passes without the defender getting to the puck or is stick!!!

It was towards the end of the third and he was in the far side corner from the TV camera!

Well not to take anything away from Dats, but until last year, he didn't show up in the playoffs. I'm glad this year he's got no distractions when it comes to scoring, the monkey is off his back. He can start flying right away with not many worries.

This year we'll need Dats and Z to score more points on the road. Despite what the media is saying about our team, Goaltening is average, we're to old, etc., I think the key to our playoffs is Datsyuk and Zetterberg performing on the road.

its not 2006, its 2008. live in the now. hes the best player on the team, give him some credit for it.

I was thinking the same thing! Last night the announcers were saying how Dats and Zet weren't considered the tougher guys but then everytime I saw a scuffle, Dats was in the middle of it. He was not talking crap from anyone, and he avoided that HUGE hit the 3rd period and sent that preds defenseman spinning! (couldn't remember which guy it was...) I thought he was playing with alot of passion and he just is so smart, can sense everthing.

That was awesome, the announcers said you may go down dream street if you try to go through there but it could end up being a nightmare.

Then they flashed to the preds d-man and the announcer said he may have gotten the worst of that one, and the guy looked a little out of sorts!

Homer was hitting people too, I also saw Z take a two hander at a guys shin pads.

What happened to the soft Euros on this team?

While Lidstrom is the true and tested leader of this team, I disagree that he is this season's MVP. He was a huge lose when he was injured but I think it was more the entire D was out for almost all of that huge slump. Lids gets the credit to it being him we missed but Raf, Chelios, Kronner and others with the Captain is what was really missed. When the top d line rolling was Meech and Lilja things are bad. Real bad. I do not in any way mean to discredit Lids, Dats has been the teams MVP this season... That is just my view.

Just qouting this awsome guy. Little by little my statment becomes more and more solidified.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER 2007-2008 Season for the WINGS!!!!

its not 2006, its 2008. live in the now. hes the best player on the team, give him some credit for it.

Nicely put. So many want to live in the past around here. It is a new year. BTW awsome avatar!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

On this note there are 2 very important things to recall from last night's game.

1. Late in the game it was Datsyuk who just flattened JP Dumont along the boards down low in the Nashville zone. The play went largely unnoticed and the commentators didn't even mention it but Dats chased him from the half wall and but his shoulder into him and Dumont's feet came off the ice and he just got owned. It was one of the biggest hits i've ever seen Dats throw.

2. On the play I mentioned where Erat (who has been pissing me off this series with all the little jabs and scrums and high shots he's been delivering) drilled Rafs in the face. It was Datsyuk who arrived first and popped Erat straight in the kisser.

Just another aspect of Dats' game which is proving that if there's a better, more complete, all around player in this league, please show him to me because I can't find him.

The most complete player in the game today is PAVEL DATSYUK!

Datsyuk has definitely gotten scrappier and more prone to hitting. I favor this development. It's greatly preferable to the young Datsyuk I watched getting repeatedly pasted by Sean Hill in '02.

On this note there are 2 very important things to recall from last night's game.

1. Late in the game it was Datsyuk who just flattened JP Dumont along the boards down low in the Nashville zone. The play went largely unnoticed and the commentators didn't even mention it but Dats chased him from the half wall and but his shoulder into him and Dumont's feet came off the ice and he just got owned. It was one of the biggest hits i've ever seen Dats throw.

2. On the play I mentioned where Erat (who has been pissing me off this series with all the little jabs and scrums and high shots he's been delivering) drilled Rafs in the face. It was Datsyuk who arrived first and popped Erat straight in the kisser.

Just another aspect of Dats' game which is proving that if there's a better, more complete, all around player in this league, please show him to me because I can't find him.

I don't know if your last statement is said in jest or not, but i would have to agree. :D

Totally off topic I suppose, but i notice that you seem to also watch more than just goals and assists, did you happen to notice the play where Drapes ran over someone at the point, then proceeded into the corner and knocked tootoo on his can, which in return tootoo pulled draper down then stepped on his back. No lie, don't have dvr and ken and mickey said not a thing so obviously they missed it, but the camera was right there in perfect view. The Wings got a peanlty on that same play and draper had some words for the ref, I'm assuming about the stomp. And it wasn't like a little kick, it was like he was reaching for the peanut butter on the top shelf and Drapes was the step stool. Outragous and suspension worlthy for sure. Unless it was less than appeared as i said, i got one live action look at it so.....

I don't know if your last statement is said in jest or not, but i would have to agree. :D

Totally off topic I suppose, but i notice that you seem to also watch more than just goals and assists, did you happen to notice the play where Drapes ran over someone at the point, then proceeded into the corner and knocked tootoo on his can, which in return tootoo pulled draper down then stepped on his back. No lie, don't have dvr and ken and mickey said not a thing so obviously they missed it, but the camera was right there in perfect view. The Wings got a peanlty on that same play and draper had some words for the ref, I'm assuming about the stomp. And it wasn't like a little kick, it was like he was reaching for the peanut butter on the top shelf and Drapes was the step stool. Outragous and suspension worlthy for sure. Unless it was less than appeared as i said, i got one live action look at it so.....

You are not the only one who saw that - I did too. I kept thinking someone needs to take that little asshat down for the count. Unfortunately it hasn't happened yet.

Last night I think people got to see the real Pavel Datsyuk. He's become such a stronger player in time, and I really think he's hit the prime of his life. This is going to be his time. And those of us who knew from the beginning what a treasure we have will be able to say, "We knew all along..."

At first when they cut over to the scrum, you couldn't see who was in there. Then, when they got it broken up, out skates Dats! Just gave me more of a reason to love this guy! And in the replay, you see him surrounded by like 3 or 4 guys, and you see him talking smack to some guys on their bench! right up in their faces too! I loved it! He's not described as our typical enforcer players, but he's always so loyal to his teammates. Good for him!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Not in jest at all.

I would argue that he's the best player in the game.

He isn't as fast or as lethal a goal scorer as AO but if Dats wanted to do nothing but score goals I have no doubt he could. The guy nets 30 goals without even trying to be a goal scorer.

He isn't the best defensive forward in the game but I would argue that if he chose to be a shutdown guy and forego offense he would be a selke candidate every year. Heck, he should be a selke candidate this year considering 1st in takeways, 1st in +/-.

He's arguably the best passer in the game right up there with Savard, Thornton and Crosby.

He isn't the most physical guy but his ability to evade physical contact and to knock people flat on their cans when he wants shows that he can do so.

All in all, there are many great players in the league. However, if you asked them to do the things Datsyuk does I doubt even a few of them could come close. But if you reversed that and asked Datsyuk to do or be like another player, to be a shutdown guy or a pure sniper, I think he could do any of those things and at an elite level.

Plus, he sees the ice better than anyone in the league right now, even Crosby.

He is the purest, best top speed stickhandler in the game.

He plays the half wall better than anyone in the league with his ability to maintain possession and to create space for himself. How many times is a guy right on top of him and Dats manages to shake and bake the guy and open up a nice 5-7 foot cushion of open space for himself so that he can look to make a play? Nobody in the league is better at having a defender on his back, standing still and then exploding and using agility to outmaneuver and dog out the defender to the point where said defender has to back off and give Dats room, to which Dats then is able to make a passing play. Nobody is better.

Frankly, with the puck, there's nobody better in the league right now. Very rarely does he make a mistake with the puck. He sees the ice better than everyone and his deft touch is ridiculous. The little things he does like knowing exactly how hard or soft to send a drop pass just boggles my mind.

And yes, I watch everything in a game. I especially watch Datsyuk closely. As a self proclaimed, rugged, stay at home, limited skill dman my whole life, Datsyuk is everything I would ever have dreamed of being as far as an offensive weapon is concerned. For instance, this was a nothing play that nobody probably took note of last night.

It was very late in the game, can't remember when but the puck was squirting around center ice and Dats' outmuscled 2 Preds to get to the puck. Now what did he do with the puck? Try to skate it? Nope. Did he try to cradle it and make a move? Nope. Did he panic with it or muff it or mishandle it? Nope. The millisecond he realized he was going to get his stick on the puck first he whipped it 90 feet into the corner to Ellis' right. It's the recognition that there is no play to be had there or at least a very difficult play at best and the most prudent thing to do in that very instant is not to try and stickhandle or do anything but simply dump the puck, with emphasis, into the corner and attempt to regain it.

Many a player wouldn't have that same thought process. Many a player would've maybe tried to do something with that puck. And for a supreme, offensive talent like Dats to know he has no option to show his skill there but simply ram the puck into the corner, he had no hesitation. I swear the guy makes the right decisions 99% of the time. I've said it before, his brain is the forward's version of Nick Lidstrom.

And no, Datsyuk did not pay me for this glowing post.

GS&T,

You and I may not see eye to eye on a lot but that my friend was a spot on post!!!!

I wish I had OsGod's smiley eating chips drinking a beer to show you what I looked like reading that!