• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DallasStars

Game two notes...

Rate this topic

Neither will be suspended and neither should be in my opinion. Had Ozzie not hindered Ribeiro's progress by putting his stick out, Mike would've never swung his stick at Oz. To me, that's why there won't be a suspension, because the league will look at this as Oz "kind of" started it and Robeiros' swing didn't have a horrific outcome. While its no excuse, Ribeiro was frustrated after dropping the first two games and a lot of times the littlest things can set people off when emotions are riding as high they are this time of the year.

That being said, I don't like that Ribeiro swung his stick at Oz. If he's got some beef with Osgood for holding his stick out, he should've went up to him and gave him a little push. You can't start swinging sticks just because you're upset. Oz certainly didn't have to impede his progress, but every single goalie does that when an opposing player skates by. They try and make the opponent skate further away giving their teammates a little more time to play the puck. I truly believe all Oz was trying to do was to force Riberio to take a further route to get to the puck, and it just so happened that it caught Mike up high.

Edit: (Kelsey) Grammar

Ozzie has said all he was trying to do was slow him down, because he was squared up and about to smoke Lidstrom. He said his stick may have gotten a little high but it was an accident. Personally I don't feel its any worse than Turco hitting Holmstrom the way he did, but you don't see Homer smoking him with his stick.

Game 2 was really more of the same if less spectacular. A methodical beatdown is still a beatdown. The numbers prove it. 34-18 shots, 39-26 hits, 71% on faceoffs. A goal called back because of a handpass where the puck never touched his hand.

The Stars did do a better job in the neutral zone and were able to get some zonetime. Thier top line though has 5 shots in the series after getting 4 in game 2. Hell, Hank had 7 himself last night.

What Osgood did happens every day on rinks across the world. It was a goalie trying to slow down a forward about to lay a big hit on a vulnerable defensemen. That it led to a viscious baseball swing from a frustrated Ribiero is the only reason it was ever mentioned.

What Turco did throughout the game, rabbit punches to the back of Homers head (which by rule should incur a match penalty, look it up) the trip on Filpula and the slashes were far worse. And Otts mugging of Draper from behind with 4.9 seconds left and then getting another 10 minute misconduct along with Ribieros match penalty shouldnt be overlooked.

Ribieros main problem here besides the actual chop on a goaltender is that it happened after time expired. The NHL has said in the conference calls (per Babcock's post game presser) that s*** like that wont be tolerated.

Please dont try to justify what Ribiero did because of a nothing play by Ozzie.

Game 2 was really more of the same if less spectacular. A methodical beatdown is still a beatdown. The numbers prove it. 34-18 shots, 39-26 hits, 71% on faceoffs. A goal called back because of a handpass where the puck never touched his hand.

What Turco did throughout the game, rabbit punches to the back of Homers head (which by rule should incur a match penalty, look it up) the trip on Filpula and the slashes were far worse. And Otts mugging of Draper from behind with 4.9 seconds left and then getting another 10 minute misconduct along with Ribieros match penalty shouldnt be overlooked.

Ribieros main problem here besides the actual chop on a goaltender is that it happened after time expired. The NHL has said in the conference calls (per Babcock's post game presser) that s*** like that wont be tolerated.

Please dont try to justify what Ribiero did because of a nothing play by Ozzie.

Well, the puck did touch Hank's hand. It looks like it might have touched Hank again or another Star after that, but I'm not 100% sure

As for Turco's punches, it says that a punch with the blocker MAY result in a match penalty and it's only mandatory if injury results. But I definitely agree with you that what Turco did was at least as bad, if not worse, than what Ozzie did (Because what Ozzie did wasn't bad at all).

i can't remember exactly how much time was left after the ott penalty, but that game WAS OVER.

ozzie did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, i'm sure turdco does it alot too.

ribero had no business even being near the net, the game was over

although it could have been ugly riberos slash wasn't very hard (ozzie has learned something from DOM)

no suspensions necessary, he just better keep his ugly head up next game

how in the hell can you justify giving ozzie a suspension, he stuck out his stick and dumb ass skated into it, ozzie did not skate into riberio's stick. also it looked like that s*** bag was going to take a run at lids, turco has been doing the same s*** the whole game and would have done the same if one of our guys was taking a run at modano....and Ott is a idiot for going after drapes knowing that he won't fight, pick on a fighter like mac or lilja or drake, not drapes...

Edited by USAFWingedWheel

My two favorite moments from game 2:

Drake's hit on Robidas; I've watched it about 20 times on the NHL highlight player just to hear the sound of it. I wonder if I could get it as a ringtone?!?!

Datsyuk's sidestepping of Morrow, and Morrow's subsequent hit on Lehtinen. Just about every game someone thinks they have Datsyuk lined up, and he makes them completely miss. His awareness and vision of the ice are amazing.

My two favorite moments from game 2:

Drake's hit on Robidas; I've watched it about 20 times on the NHL highlight player just to hear the sound of it. I wonder if I could get it as a ringtone?!?!

Datsyuk's sidestepping of Morrow, and Morrow's subsequent hit on Lehtinen. Just about every game someone thinks they have Datsyuk lined up, and he makes them completely miss. His awareness and vision of the ice are amazing.

drake's hit was awesome, almost as good as kronner. i love how the camera follows the puck and as it's moving you see a red comet fly across and white jersey flying.... priceless

What Osgood did happens every day on rinks across the world. It was a goalie trying to slow down a forward about to lay a big hit on a vulnerable defensemen. That it led to a viscious baseball swing from a frustrated Ribiero is the only reason it was ever mentioned.

I share this perspective, for the most part. Osgood was probably trying to slow someone down about to nail Nick, which he could've restrained himself from doing, for sure. But compared to a two-handed retaliation, over the net, after the game's over, while being held back by one of our guys? I don't want to make too big of a contrast, but I think there is one. Likewise, how protected a goalie is should have absolutely no consequence in judging this situation.

I share this perspective, for the most part. Osgood was probably trying to slow someone down about to nail Nick, which he could've restrained himself from doing, for sure. But compared to a two-handed retaliation, over the net, after the game's over, while being held back by one of our guys? I don't want to make too big of a contrast, but I think there is one. Likewise, how protected a goalie is should have absolutely no consequence in judging this situation.

AMEN, regardless if the player had more padding or not, a swing like that is no different then what mcsorely did.... using a stick as a weapon...that was intent to injure, otherwise he wouldn't swing it like an axe at another player.... hang him high