• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Ryane Clowe re-signs

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AoCS...p&type=lgns

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP)—Right wing Ryane Clowe agreed to a one-year, $1.6 million contract to stay with the San Jose Sharks on Monday.

Clowe was a restricted free agent after scoring eight points in 15 games last season. He missed 67 games after undergoing surgery on his right knee, but returned with four games left in the regular season before scoring nine points in 13 playoff games.

He made his NHL breakthrough in 2006-07, scoring 34 points and racking up 78 penalty minutes in 58 games with the Sharks.

Clowe is a physical power forward whose all-around game has developed well in the past two years, but his knee injury and a Christmas Eve arrest on suspicion of drunk driving slowed his progress last season.

Clowe was the last significant restricted free agent who hadn’t been re-signed by the Sharks, who replaced coach Ron Wilson with Todd McLellan and revamped their defense with Rob Blake, Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich in an attempt to end their streak of three straight second-round playoff defeats.

Is he really durable enough for $1.6 mil, I mean really 2 nhl seasons one cut down to 58 games the other cut down to 15, that is a lot of money for a guy who has played a total of 91 nhl games in 3 seasons (one was a call up but he still played more games that season than last season).

Is he really durable enough for $1.6 mil, I mean really 2 nhl seasons one cut down to 58 games the other cut down to 15, that is a lot of money for a guy who has played a total of 91 nhl games in 3 seasons (one was a call up but he still played more games that season than last season).

he's good at beating on Tootoo !!!!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

6-2, 215lbs

Yes, he's had injury problems but 1.6 mil isn't that much money for a 1 year deal. Frankly, I would kill to have Clowe in a Wings sweater. He hits, he fights, he scores goals. He's a great, rugged, power forward type and I would be thrilled to have him at 1.6

His 1st full year he did bag 16 goals in just 58 games. And despite only 15 games last year he did get 8 points (.5 per game) and most importantly, 9 goals in 25 playoff games while playing a hard-nosed style.

Plus, he can do this and take a regular shift all night long. Great team player

Guest Dump-N-Thump

great deal imo..

he could be getting flipper salary if he could keep healthy

They definitely underpaid him. I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I'd much rather have him than Flip. They guy can be a force down low when he's healthy. I guess in saying that, health is probably the only reason they didn't pay him more.

They definitely underpaid him. I know I'll get blasted for saying this, but I'd much rather have him than Flip. They guy can be a force down low when he's healthy. I guess in saying that, health is probably the only reason they didn't pay him more.

That and it's only a one-year deal.

I am just saying he is getting a $1mil raise and has yet to prove he can play a full NHL season.

58gp in 06-07

15gp in 07-08

I'll give you I would take him healthy any day of the week in a Wing's Uni, however if he is healthy as often as Martin Havlat it will be an overpayment.

But in the market today really what is 1.6 million, I guess if I am comparing Sammy at 1.2 mil and full seasons without injury under his belt I would take that. But a healthy Clowe at 1.6 mil wins over Sammy every time, but health concerns can become career long problems. And if a banger and grinder is injury prone doesn't that change his style of play?

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I am just saying he is getting a $1mil raise and has yet to prove he can play a full NHL season.

58gp in 06-07

15gp in 07-08

I'll give you I would take him healthy any day of the week in a Wing's Uni, however if he is healthy as often as Martin Havlat it will be an overpayment.

But in the market today really what is 1.6 million, I guess if I am comparing Sammy at 1.2 mil and full seasons without injury under his belt I would take that. But a healthy Clowe at 1.6 mil wins over Sammy every time, but health concerns can become career long problems. And if a banger and grinder is injury prone doesn't that change his style of play?

Opie, just look at Kronwall and you'll have your answer. Kronner plays physical about every night and he has been injury prone every year and what did the Wings do? Locked him up for a nice, phat chunk of change.

You can't bank on a guy being injured and you can't pay him peanuts with the argument that "you could get hurt again". You're paying for what he brings to the table and he brings alot. Plus, he's an RFA. Somebody would've taken Clowe had the Sharks given up on him.

And even if he does get hurt again, let's say he misses 25 games this year. Well, what he does in the other 57 games might be worth every bit of that 1.6.

58gp in 06-07

15gp in 07-08

Nik Kronwall

Opie, just look at Kronwall and you'll have your answer. Kronner plays physical about every night and he has been injury prone every year and what did the Wings do? Locked him up for a nice, phat chunk of change.

You can't bank on a guy being injured and you can't pay him peanuts with the argument that "you could get hurt again". You're paying for what he brings to the table and he brings alot. Plus, he's an RFA. Somebody would've taken Clowe had the Sharks given up on him.

And even if he does get hurt again, let's say he misses 25 games this year. Well, what he does in the other 57 games might be worth every bit of that 1.6.

Oh I agree, I also thought paying Kronwall was a risk signing and until this post season almost everyone else was worried about the same thing. The difference in the two situations is we have knowledge of a healthy Kronwall for a whole season. I also knew more about Kronner's injuries than I do Clowe.

But what happens if you pay the guy 1.6 and instead of missing 25 he plays 25. Or the 15 he played last season, if he turns into Martin Havlat is he still worth it, well in this case yes because it is only a one year deal.

I am not saying it is a bad move I just question giving the guy a 1$mil raise when his games played goes down, where as Kronwall had one year of 27 games but the next season with the Wings he played 68.

So it is not really a true comparison because Clowe's situation is he got hurt after playing about 2/3 of the season and then got hurt before the 1/4 mark.

I question the orgs thinking more than I do the value of a healthy Ryane Clowe.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Oh I agree, I also thought paying Kronwall was a risk signing and until this post season almost everyone else was worried about the same thing. The difference in the two situations is we have knowledge of a healthy Kronwall for a whole season. I also knew more about Kronner's injuries than I do Clowe.

But what happens if you pay the guy 1.6 and instead of missing 25 he plays 25. Or the 15 he played last season, if he turns into Martin Havlat is he still worth it, well in this case yes because it is only a one year deal.

I am not saying it is a bad move I just question giving the guy a 1$mil raise when his games played goes down, where as Kronwall had one year of 27 games but the next season with the Wings he played 68.

So it is not really a true comparison because Clowe's situation is he got hurt after playing about 2/3 of the season and then got hurt before the 1/4 mark.

I question the orgs thinking more than I do the value of a healthy Ryane Clowe.

I hear you. But at the end of the day Clowe is still a relatively young guy, he's a team guy, he's shown scoring tough, physicality and an ability to fight so he's pretty much one of the few, nice, well-rounded young power forwards in the league. Yes, his health has been an issue. But he was healthy in the playoffs and he tied for the Sharks team lead in playoff goals. I think the Sharks hedged their bet on him by giving him a nice raise but making it for only 1 year. I think if you just look at it like that its not really that questionable of a move by their management. In fact, if one were to question the logic you could almost go complete 180 on it. Let's say Clowe doesn't play in only 15 games. Let's say he plays in 75-80 games, bags 25 goals and 100pim's. His contract will be over next season and the Sharks could be faced with paying him 2.5-3.5 mil for a couple of years when they maybe could've locked him up for a couple years at far less money with this contract.

The Sharks are counting on him being in the lineup. He can score 15-20 goals given a full season. You gotta pay him like he'll be in the lineup. But you don't have to sign him long term given his injury history. Hence, the deal makes sense to me.

Don't players come off the cap for the period in which they're injured/not in the lineup?

So even though you have to account for his $1.6m, if he were to get injured I'm pretty sure that would clear up a bit of space for deadline deals/acquisitions. Kind of a gamble, but even if he does get hurt they get the space back IIRC.