• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DRWfan

Shots against doubled, goals scored went down...

Rate this topic

Yes, it's 35 games into the season and that's what I see... Last year it was a rare occasion when the other team had more than 20 shots on goal. That was the main buzz about Detroit, right? This year I don't recall a game when it was less than 20 against us. And it's the same blue line, supposing the best in the league... Is it the coaching staff strategy? Or was the assistant coach doing more last year than the head one. As soon as McLellan left Wings play like Sharks and Sharks play like Wings...

What's wrong with offence? Having the some players as last year plus MARIAN HOSSA, and they cannot score more than two point something goals a game? How can you expect to be in good shape, when you score only two, and let other team have around 30 shots?

All wins with exception of 6:0 against Sharks, was one-goal, come-from-behind scenario. Will it really help to prepare for the playoffs, or it will exhaust mentally and physically to the point when nothing is left to compete?

Looking at standings there is nothing to worry about, but I don't feel too confident, do you?

Your premise that we are scoring less is fundamentally flawed. We have 128 goals. Boston leads the league in scoring with... 130. We are second in the league in scoring.

Now, divide 128 by 35. You get 3.65. That is scientifically referred to a "s***load" of goals, and at least more than a half a goal more than your " two point something goals a game".

Our defensive problems have little to do with McClellan leaving- he did the powerplay. I would look at McCrimmon.

Your premise that we are scoring less is fundamentally flawed. We have 128 goals. Boston leads the league in scoring with... 130. We are second in the league in scoring.

Now, divide 128 by 35. You get 3.65. That is scientifically referred to a "s***load" of goals, and at least more than a half a goal more than your " two point something goals a game".

Our defensive problems have little to do with McClellan leaving- he did the powerplay. I would look at McCrimmon.

What about goals against? Last year we were on the top of the chart. Now, lets see... 105 by 35, equals 3... Not so good...

What about goals against? Last year we were on the top of the chart. Now, lets see... 105 by 35, equals 3... Not so good...

I said we are having defensive issues. But you said how OFFENSE was an issue. Which it isn't.

You also said all of our wins except the 6-0 vs the Sharks were one goal games. Again, not true. We beat the oilers 4-0 and the Flames 5-2. There are other games with 2 goals wins, but some of those are empty net goals.

Guest Shoreline

Indeed offense is not the problem. Defense is the major flaw this team has, and any cup winning Wings team of recent years has never had such a terrible defense, and especially terrible PK. The team right now is basically riding the offense which will only last so long. Anyone who watches the games will see dumb penalties, guys getting caught watching the puck, playing defense with their sticks versus the body (2 Avs goals were because no Wing player would take a body out when needed, not to mention the slew this season due to not finishing checks), and simply utter defensive laziness which, if it continues, should merit some sort of shakeup.

Edited by Shoreline

Do you have anything to back up the two claims in the topic title? At first glance it seems like neither are close to the truth. You've done a terrible job at identifying Detroit's problems this year.

I have a few theories as to whats going on and what needs to happen...just my opinion but i'll share.

1. - With Drake out of the lineup, it seems as we only really have 2 guys who are finishing hits with any kind of regularity. That IMO would be Lilja and Stuart. Kronner seems to have softened up a bit on the hits so far but...i Don't expect him to hit like he did in the playoffs during regular season. Someone needs to step up and let other teams know we will not be pushed around because as it is now, it seems like we're being lazy, or afraid to take the body, especially in front of our own net which is causing alot of trouble for the goalies because the other teams are getting to loose pucks and rebounds way too often. Alot of flack is being put down on ozzie and conks but i see a good portion of the goals against because we're not putting the bodies between the puck and the other team, and not keeping them from the front of the net.

2. - It also seems we're taking alot of dumb penalties on the defensive end of the ice because the NHL is really seeming to crack down on the "clutch and grab" style that the wings were allowed to get away with during the playoffs last year. The same crap that had Therrien crying to the press is what we're sitting in the box for a majority of the time this season. I can't say i totally disagree with the way they're being called most of the time because lets face it, its the regular season and in the playoffs they lay off those calls more to allow for better action packed games. Also, poor officiating around the league (not just against the wings) is causing problems. The calls vary sooo much from period to period let alone game to game, so we're not sure what we can and can't get away with. For example...i can't remember when it happened but hossa got a hook for having his stick come around from behind a guy and BARELY tap his stick. Now, thats not what I call a hook but the league is getting very strict on things like this. The problem is its VERY inconsistent. In the 1st and 2nd periods, it seems they can't get away with things like that...but in the 3rd, stuff like that is being let go left and right.

3. - I think Babcock switching lines up SO much is hurting more than helping. No lines are really having a chance to build chemistry before they're thrown into another mix. Sometimes this is good as it shakes things up but, not knowing shift to shift who will be on your line almost every game, could probably confuse them even. The lines are maybe unbalanced too. I think having zetterberg on a line with hossa and homer might actually work better than having the dats, hoss and homer line. Put Dats between franzen and cleary or huds, or even sammy or flip to see which works. It seems that having hossa with dats (even tho lately he's been scoring a ton) is causing pavs to do a couple uncharacteristic things. One, he's making too many tricky passes to hoss, and 2, we know he can score....when he shoots, but instead of taking those shots he's trying to be cute and get the puck to hoss which ALSO leaves homer up front not able to get his trademark tip in goals. Nobody is taking those outside shots very often to utilize homer very well. We're not really having TOO much trouble on the offensive end. Its just that it seems the offense is only working right when we're behind, late in games.....which also means that like someone else said..the defense is relying on the offense to keep us in the games, and detroit used to be more of a defensive minded team. It needs to switch...defense first...keep the other teams goal count low, THEN our chances will come easier once the other team gets frustrated and messes up and starts taking penalties.

4. - I don't know if i really believe this one but i'm just throwing it out there. Hossa in the locker room may be causing some kind of ego problems or something. I've seen Hossa make quite a few cocky moves that were unnecessary (especially that one move in the shootout where he just took the puck and skated all cocky and slow and took a weak shot. Did you see what babcock's answer was to that? The very next shootout, he put hudler in hossa's place, and Huds scored the winner for us.

5. - One thing I think about the goalies...for the most part, the defense isn't helping them out on most goals against. I will say that quite a few goals let in were weak on the goalie's part but the D isn't helping. When that happens, Goalie confidence goes down which hurts their game even more. I think we need to work on Tightening up the D, as well as maybe bringing up larsson or howard to start a few games and see how they do (im not sure if larsson is ready for NHL yet, as I haven't followed him much.) and then making oz, conks, and howard/larsson fight it out for who is getting top spot, making it do or die time for their position on the team.

Again, these are just some of my observations and OPINIONS, so feel free to disagree and tell me where you think I might be wrong or whatever. It's not going to hurt my feelings if you disagree lol...thats why they're my opinions.

1. - With Drake out of the lineup, it seems as we only really have 2 guys who are finishing hits with any kind of regularity. That IMO would be Lilja and Stuart. Kronner seems to have softened up a bit on the hits so far but...i Don't expect him to hit like he did in the playoffs during regular season. Someone needs to step up and let other teams know we will not be pushed around because as it is now, it seems like we're being lazy, or afraid to take the body, especially in front of our own net which is causing alot of trouble for the goalies because the other teams are getting to loose pucks and rebounds way too often. Alot of flack is being put down on ozzie and conks but i see a good portion of the goals against because we're not putting the bodies between the puck and the other team, and not keeping them from the front of the net.

I have to agree with this. After all of the crying during the play offs I can only assume that they have told Kronwall to lay off the 'charging'. There were a few times in past games this season that I have said to my husband "Kronwall just needs to level [insert name here]" They keep referring to him as 'Nick Jr.' I don't know if they are trying to groom him to be more Lidstrom like or if it is just the fact they both are defensive Swedes named Nick.

But yes defense needs to be more physical.

5. - One thing I think about the goalies...for the most part, the defense isn't helping them out on most goals against. I will say that quite a few goals let in were weak on the goalie's part but the D isn't helping. When that happens, Goalie confidence goes down which hurts their game even more. I think we need to work on Tightening up the D, as well as maybe bringing up larsson or howard to start a few games and see how they do (im not sure if larsson is ready for NHL yet, as I haven't followed him much.) and then making oz, conks, and howard/larsson fight it out for who is getting top spot, making it do or die time for their position on the team.

I don't follow the minors all that closely but from the articles my husband has sent me (yeah he's out of work god bless the michigan economy and doing a lot more reading online) it sounds like Howard is starting to slip. I guess not only is Larson doing great but McCullum whom the Wings just drafted this year is doing phenomenal (I don't think he is anywhere near ready for NHL but he is a great prospect).